Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yyznomad
Wiki Link
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until June 30, 2020

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html

Upgrades to Business Class

US

Europe/Middle East/South America

Asia/Australia
Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 6, 16, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post
Interesting. I like that the expanded upgrade windows are here to stay as well as the reduced amount of credits. As for the Tango and X class upgrades, in some cases it could be cheaper or equivalent to just purchase a LMU.
And in some case Tango + eupgrade copay is cheaper than Flex... This is a good new on routes when tango has to be pretty cheap because of competition (like YUL-CDG)
Old Sep 6, 16, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Plat/Lifetime Gold, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat
Too bad I can't upgrade my Mum's upcoming rouge flight to ATH. No tango to PE upgrades. This is a nice change though. So they permanently rolled back the requirements for domestic flex?
Old Sep 6, 16, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
Too bad I can't upgrade my Mum's upcoming rouge flight to ATH. No tango to PE upgrades. This is a nice change though. So they permanently rolled back the requirements for domestic flex?
I suspect they'd add that. It wouldn't make sense not to.

My guess is someone accidentally pushed the J changes before they were ready to go live.

For all we know, the intended launch might be March 1.
Old Sep 6, 16, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

Though I suppose there's the benefit that you're not paying the Flex surcharge unless you actually get the upgrade, which may be worth something.
It also helps the people stuck with employers that only book Tango. The co-pay and upgrade can be processed in a separate transaction on their personal card.
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, WS Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
The details of this promotion (Sept 6, 2016 - Jan 9, 2017) and some other changes have now been posted on the AC website:

https://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/...ade_offer.html

Last edited by DNAwizard; Sep 6, 16 at 4:06 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I wonder if this is why MrsQQ's waitlisted upgrade dropped over the weekend.
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I guess that's that.

I'll just sit here and wait for the inevitable "the check-in agent told me my fare isn't eligible for upgrade!"
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:57 pm
formerly yvrgary

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Laughing so hard right now.. AS predicted by me a few months back(Though I was more thinking they would allow Tango to PE as oppose to Tango to J)

Well.. it has happened.

International require a $600 co-pay to europe FOR Tango/Reward tix

Best Part : Tango E-upgrade to Asia for $850

I am going to very.. very happy next summer when I get J for <1200 to PVG

Jack - just a thought, you might actually be better off if, instead of your dad giving you 50K, he takes the 50 eUps and makes you his nominee.

As a 50K, you'll only get enough eUps to upgrade YYZ-PVG one way, but if he keeps his, and nominates you, you can buy Tango AND upgrade YYZ-PVG both ways.

Plus - and someone please check me on this - I believe you would then get the benefit of his SE eUp window, not your 50K, reducing the chances that the flight hits R0 before you get a chance to eUp.

If you're not flying much the rest of the year anyway, you're not giving up much in terms of lost 50K privileges for two YVR-YYZ one-ways.

Either way, you're kind of betting the farm - a quick look right now shows that YYZ-PVG is R0 at both 10 and 14 days, and that's after the back-to-school rush is over.

YVR-PVG is a little better, but either way, if your flight date is R0 when the window opens, a 50K on a Tango fare is going to be near the bottom of the list, and then you're stuck spending countless hours in an Economy seat that, as we all know, is the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone.

Food for thought, anyway.
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...ade_offer.html
Until Jan 9, 2017!
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:15 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Jack - just a thought, you might actually be better off if, instead of your dad giving you 50K, he takes the 50 eUps and makes you his nominee.

As a 50K, you'll only get enough eUps to upgrade YYZ-PVG one way, but if he keeps his, and nominates you, you can buy Tango AND upgrade YYZ-PVG both ways.

Plus - and someone please check me on this - I believe you would then get the benefit of his SE eUp window, not your 50K, reducing the chances that the flight hits R0 before you get a chance to eUp.

If you're not flying much the rest of the year anyway, you're not giving up much in terms of lost 50K privileges for two YVR-YYZ one-ways.

Either way, you're kind of betting the farm - a quick look right now shows that YYZ-PVG is R0 at both 10 and 14 days, and that's after the back-to-school rush is over.

YVR-PVG is a little better, but either way, if your flight date is R0 when the window opens, a 50K on a Tango fare is going to be near the bottom of the list, and then you're stuck spending countless hours in an Economy seat that, as we all know, is the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone.

Food for thought, anyway.
Hi Gary!

Thank you for the thoughts, they are very useful!

I have did the math in my head, now there are few reasons why I would choose E50 over the 50 E-up

1. If I go back to China for summer job again, having Star G benefit is useful for the 4-8 segments I do inter-china/south korea for work.
2. I am not too concerned about upgrade availability as on all of the fights me & my father took, there are always 3-4 seats left empty for YYZ-PVG/PVG-YYZ(As long as its the 40J 777 I think I should be safe)
3. Your comments regarding SE upgrade window are absolutely correct, but from what I heard once T-24 , I am pretty much screwed at the Gate as I am below everyone.
4. I travel with luggages most of the time and to me, the next worst thing to spending time in HD Y is to wait another hour in YVR for my luggage to arrive. That is like.. one of the most important E50 benefit for me.. before anything.
5. I am more likely to use credits for my YYZ-YVR route on sunday mornings than YVR-PVG if I am being completely honest here, I don't think I am going to risk stuck in Y for TPAC again... then again this sub $300 fare is really sucking me in to eat my words. Next summer is pretty much destined to be miles redemption for J at this point. But I am more than likely to buy Tango to EU and upgrade.
6. I really like the arrival lounge benefit , this allows to me to grab a quick lunch before heading back to UBC/Home(Besides, the YVR sandwiches are better now after my rant about how awful they are) .
7. I really need the PE seats on YYZ-YVR and I am willing to pay Flex for it, which give me free access to those seats. Plus ability to upgrade to J. - This also allow me to build up my P25/E35K status for 2018 in case AC screws SE by taking out E50.
8. As a E50, I can choose 40 E-UP credits vs 50. For all of the benefits entails.. I would argue that.. perhaps the E50+ is worth the 10 E-UP?

But that being said, thank you so much for your suggestion, this is def something for me to think about and you have raised some very good points I haven't thought about yet.
I will be watching the FLEX-Tango-PE gap very closely for the entire next year, If I see value in buying flex outright, I might waive my E50 for 2018 so that I can buy flex to EU/Asia and upgrade without any co-pay

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 6, 16 at 5:24 pm
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Next summer is pretty much destined to be miles redemption for J at this point. But I am more than likely to buy Tango to EU and upgrade.
I stopped reading at this point.

Tango upgrades are only until January.
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, not sure if this was there before but Premium Economy is now showing as a travel class for N.American travel on te upgrade chart, as well as on AC.com for North American travel. The end of preferred seating soon? (NO fares available yet though)

Last edited by YOWCDNFF; Sep 6, 16 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:41 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I stopped reading at this point.

Tango upgrades are only until January.
Oh sorry... you are right. I forgot about that for second.
Thanks for pointing it out.
But if past history is any indicator.......
Old Sep 6, 16, 7:38 pm

How does this work for travelers traveling with an elite/super elite member?

If I take my wife with me on a trip and she's on an Aeroplan Y fare, at the gate, do they collect the additional add ons or how does this work when I use my eups on her.
Old Sep 6, 16, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatdamnmelliniumbug View Post
How does this work for travelers traveling with an elite/super elite member?

If I take my wife with me on a trip and she's on an Aeroplan Y fare, at the gate, do they collect the additional add ons or how does this work when I use my eups on her.
I assume it would work the exact same way as the existing co-pays for international flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: