FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1789272-new-eupgrade-requirements-co-pay-lower-flex-fares.html)

ridefar Oct 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 28975955)
I am sorry, I am definitely having a senior moment today, as I am not getting the comments I am reading on this news. Isn't there is no change at all? In fact a true enhancement where they are bring Tango eUpgrade-able as a permanent option now. Booking classes "S, T, L, A, K" are Tango, isn't it?

All it seems AC is doing is free up or eliminate "Tango" and combine it in Flex. Isn't that is a comment many had made in the past on why keeping this name?

Whether they will recycle Tango to make it the UA Basic Economy fare, or come up with a new name, that I am not sure.

There is now a copay for domestic travel eUps even for SE. That is new. If you look at the table, the copay is greater for Tango, but there is still a copay for Flex.

Jay99 Oct 25, 2017 12:33 pm

I don't think Tango's going anywhere - there's some fine print at the bottom of the email about additional Tango fare classes being created - "Just like Flex, more Tango fares will also be available in additional booking classes for flights within Canada."

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see AC create an even more restrictive fare class for their cheaper fares.

yvr76 Oct 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Really confusing. You have to check your fare class now before booking to see if a Flex fare requires a co-pay?

They should have just introduced a new fare type.

monkai Oct 25, 2017 12:52 pm

And this results in an overall increase in cost, for example G-Flex is more than G was before branded fares.

PB53x11 Oct 25, 2017 12:52 pm

I'll have to wait to see how this plays out in practice but I suspect this will suck - although I'm allowed to book flex for work travel, it may be lowest flex, which means the co-pays will apply. Ugh. Another "enhancement".

alc Oct 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 28975992)
There is now a copay for domestic travel eUps even for SE. That is new. If you look at the table, the copay is greater for Tango, but there is still a copay for Flex.

but the booking class on all Co-Pay are the same ""S, T, L, A, K" class, which are the old Tango only fare. before the branded fares. So, the name on these fare might have change, but the booking class have not.

The only changes really is the old Flex only "M, U, H, Q, V, W, G" class if sold under the "Tango" brand will required the co-pay, a small co-pay in compare to the other.

as yvr76 pointed, you now also need to check the fare class and not just the fare name to know if you need co-pay or not.

--- added ---

Originally Posted by monkai (Post 28976075)
And this results in an overall increase in cost, for example G-Flex is more than G was before branded fares.

so, maybe that is the different then. the old G-FLEX price is now the new G-Tango price, so this is a way for AC to increase their fare.

But I do wonder what is the different is price between the old A-Tango vs. the new A-Flex.

no new earning chart yet that show the new branded fare, i.e. there is no G-Tango or A-Flex. But I guess if A-Flex does get 100% AQM, that might not be bad thing for OPM flyer like myself where our Corp Travel Center will allow to book A-Flex for the same % discount we get with G-Flex now. Current no discount on Tango fare, it is the same price if I book it on AC website

jc94 Oct 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Presumably AC are now going to improve their website and app allowing one to pick the fare class they want then?

BlondeBomber Oct 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by monkai (Post 28975883)
Just got this too.

So, this really diminishes the benefit to select a Flex fare. Whats the difference between Tango and Flex other than AQM percentage?

To be fair SE1K still have no add-on for recent fare classes that were FLEX. That might change--we will see. This just adds functionality for Tango fare buyers in that some of those what were only Tango fares are now Flex. I don't know how many uptake on these low fares though as I find it easier to buy Prem Econo and upgrade from there or just buy business on another airline.

acysb87 Oct 25, 2017 1:26 pm

I am appreciative that I have latitude in the fare I purchase.:) Not nearly so complicated.

mikeyyz Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28976138)
Presumably AC are now going to improve their website and app allowing one to pick the fare class they want then?

lol

OntarioFlyer Oct 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Status Match to UA

I have had a ridiculous time with Air Canada trying to make status last year, and I was super happy to get my 50K status this year until I found out that as a business traveler I am going to have to fork out my own cash to get upgraded and stay within company pricing policy. This recent hot garbage with the flex fares puts upgrades even further out of reach. Do you think switching to a united airlines account for a status match would help? Is this something United would do?

Dorian Oct 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Is there any way to choose your fare code in the AC booking system?

tracon Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm

From the OP's picture, does YVR-YYZ now credit 2093 miles, or the 2078 I'm accustomed to?

canadiancow Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28976138)

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 28976388)

No, and this is my main issue.

AC is going to try to make more money, and I accept that. But at this point, if there's Flex L available, how do I buy Flex G?

Though it's interesting that Flex L plus copay could be cheaper than Flex G.

Also, I'm not seeing a co-pay for Flex on any transborder routes. Only domestic.

YVR-YYZ-BOS is $0, but YVR-YYZ is $150-$175.

This brings "hidden city" to a whole new level.

jc94 Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 28976388)

Not at present. I heard a rumour one can now upfare via the website on an existing (online) booking but am not sure if that's only to say P or covering from low Flex to high Flex. Or copay Flex to non. I don't have a eligible booking I can test it on.

Calling in works of course. Assuming one can get thru and not be cut off.