Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice please re booking J open jaw-ish reward ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*50K

Hi folks,

I used to fly a lot. In the past couple of years, not so much. I'm rusty on some of the tricks of the trade. I'd appreciate any tips.

Two of us to travel YYZ-CDG and return BCN-YYZ, just over a year from now. We want J and have enough points. We're willing to connect on either leg if necessary (especially the return, to avoid having to take Rouge). We have some limited flexibility on dates on both ends. I've been doing some preliminary browsing and have a few questions:

1. What can I expect in terms of AC or LH releasing seats? Should I be jumping on what I can find at the 356-day point or is there something to be said for being patient and checking daily for a few months?

2. If the answer to #1 is to book ASAP, then.... if I remember correctly, it used to be the case that you couldn't book one-way reward travel without spending the full round-trip points amount. It appears to me now that you can book two one-way tickets without any problem or disadvantage. Correct, or am I missing something?

3. One option for the outbound will be to fly LOT and connect in WAW. I've never flown LOT and wouldn't be inclined to experiment except that doing so would save hundred$ in scamcharges. Online reviews of LOT J seem to be mixed. Any thoughts?

4. Anything else I should have asked?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A few thoughts:

rouge J isn't real J, it's true. But on the return flight, which is during the day, is having a pod terribly important vs adding a connection and several hours to your travel time? If it is, so be it, but food for thought.

1. Some seats may be released as soon as the window opens, some may be released later, or not. Hard to say. If you find something decent right away, if you book it you can always change to a better option later on, just pay the $90 change fee.

2. One-ways are now 50% the mileage of a round trip. Disadvantages to booking two one-ways instead of round trip are higher change fees if you change or cancel and no ability to use the free stopover. If those aren't important, then it doesn't matter.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
A few thoughts:
And helpful thoughts. Thank you.

rouge J isn't real J, it's true. But on the return flight, which is during the day, is having a pod terribly important vs adding a connection and several hours to your travel time? If it is, so be it, but food for thought.
Fair point. It may not be terribly important. I've flown Rouge only once (to Barbados) soon after Rouge launched, and back when they just blocked the middle seat for J, so I don't know what the new J is like. After reading your reply I searched a whole bunch of dates, including at non-peak times, and I never saw the Rouge direct BCN-YYZ flight come up. If you specify J reward, does the Aeroplan site exclude Rouge J?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
rouge J is sold as PY, so setting the AE site to only show J itineraries might exclude it, although I'm not certain on that one.

AC has upgraded the narrow-body rouge J product to be similar to mainline North America J. The widebody product has always been like that on the 763s. A few people have suggested it's similar to the mainline PY offering.

For an overnight flight, it makes a big difference to have a pod, but during a daytime flight, I might just take the direct with rouge. I had a quick look at alternate connections (on *A) for next summer and it seems like pretty much any other route is going to add 3+ hours to your travel time vs the direct - not good connections, you end up backtracking to somewhere like FRA (east) or IAD (south).

Depends on your own preferences though.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
rouge J is sold as PY, so setting the AE site to only show J itineraries might exclude it, although I'm not certain on that one.
Just checked. You're right. Allowing the site to show Y seats offers the direct flight.

A few people have suggested it's similar to the mainline PY offering.
I've yet to experience, or even see in real life, AC's PY. I'll browse online reviews. You're quite right that it may be worthwhile, given that it's a daytime flight and would save a connection.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:13 pm

No official stopovers if you book one-way reward segments.

On an int'l itinerary, this can be particularly valuable.

Keep in mind that worst comes to worse, you can probably still find a Y routing for your return, and the AC segments are waitlistable to J.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TimMinYYZ
1. What can I expect in terms of AC or LH releasing seats? Should I be jumping on what I can find at the 356-day point or is there something to be said for being patient and checking daily for a few months?

2. If the answer to #1 is to book ASAP, then.... if I remember correctly, it used to be the case that you couldn't book one-way reward travel without spending the full round-trip points amount. It appears to me now that you can book two one-way tickets without any problem or disadvantage. Correct, or am I missing something?

3. One option for the outbound will be to fly LOT and connect in WAW. I've never flown LOT and wouldn't be inclined to experiment except that doing so would save hundred$ in scamcharges. Online reviews of LOT J seem to be mixed. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!
1) Booking as far in advance as possible may be helpful, but not necessary on TATL routes IME as long as you're somewhat flexible in terms of dates and routing.

2. That used to be true, though now one-ways now cost 50% of a return ticket. Only difference is that one-way awards do not allow any stopovers.

3. LO J is ok, but nothing to get excited about.

4. As mentioned above, Premium Rouge is classified as PE on int'l routes outside NA. I'd personally choose a 1-stop connection with a proper J product, but that obviously boils down to personal preference.

Also, booking two one-ways will likely be cheaper in terms of YQ since YQ ex-EU is lower than ex-NA.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:26 am

only replying to offer my thread as help also (see my signature) to save YQ

good luck
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'd personally choose a 1-stop connection with a proper J product, but that obviously boils down to personal preference.
From what I've read online since I posted, I'm inclined to do the same.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Also, booking two one-ways will likely be cheaper in terms of YQ since YQ ex-EU is lower than ex-NA.
Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
only replying to offer my thread as help also (see my signature) to save YQ
Thank you.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Flew LOT J a couple of years ago. Now, granted, the fact it was my first time in lie-flat-seated J does colour my impression, but I was quite happy with both the hard and soft product on LOT (the steak I had for dinner remains the best beef dish I have ever had on a plane). I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Hi folks,

I used to fly a lot. In the past couple of years, not so much. I'm rusty on some of the tricks of the trade. I'd appreciate any tips.

Two of us to travel YYZ-CDG and return BCN-YYZ, just over a year from now. We want J and have enough points. We're willing to connect on either leg if necessary (especially the return, to avoid having to take Rouge). We have some limited flexibility on dates on both ends. I've been doing some preliminary browsing and have a few questions:

Many thanks in advance!

on #2, IME, there should be good availability on both AC and LH 6 months out, granted YQ isn't an issue for you.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:36 pm

One option for the outbound will be to fly LOT and connect in WAW. I've never flown LOT and wouldn't be inclined to experiment except that doing so would save hundred$ in scamcharges. Online reviews of LOT J seem to be mixed. Any thoughts?
I would take LO J over most carriers for its seats and service flying to Europe. I did not experience AC 789 yet but AC overall is hit and miss. In the last few years I did
WAW-ORD,
YYZ-WAW,
WAW-PEK,
WAW-NRT
and enjoyed all of these flights.

Another point: if you want to safe money fly on the same ticket from CDG-BCN rather than making it an OJ. For example: all J for 2

YYZ-VIE-CDG OS
CDG-FRA-BCN LH
BCN-ZRH-YYZ LX/AC on 789

Fees are $1850 for 2, but are lower with the first leg with LO at ~$1400 and if you can get to LO on the return it will be reduced again by $400, I bet. I have used the multi-city tool and arbitrary dates for this example. If time or money is important to you then you play around with options accordingly. I booked next year's trip for 2 with 2 stops in Europe and 1 stop in Canada for ~$600 (including booking) by avoiding AC and LH when possible.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Sep 1, 2016 at 4:41 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I was quite happy with both the hard and soft product on LOT.... I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I would take LO J over most carriers for its seats and service flying to Europe.
Good to know.

Originally Posted by mattc2
on #2, IME, there should be good availability on both AC and LH 6 months out, granted YQ isn't an issue for you.
That's very helpful. As a result of comments from you and others, I don't feel the need to pounce ASAP. And I'll consider both one-ticket and two-one-ways options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.