Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why is it so difficult to provide WiFi that works?

Old Aug 28, 16, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Every time I transit through YYZ, I'm left speechless by the pathetic internet quality here. At the Int'l MLL right now, and both Datavalet and Pearson Free WiFi are excruciatingly slow and unstable.

[/Rant]
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:41 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
Every time I transit through YYZ, I'm left speechless by the pathetic internet quality here. At the Int'l MLL right now, and both Datavalet and Pearson Free WiFi are excruciatingly slow and unstable.

[/Rant]
To get good wifi when there are a large number of users can't be done cheap, and if you do cheap out it's not going to work.
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sean Peever View Post
To get good wifi when there are a large number of users can't be done cheap, and if you do cheap out it's not going to work.
Many other airports seem to manage just fine...
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:49 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Also it's not really THAT expensive either...

But hey..some things gotta go to pickle budget that we all love, right? /s
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:54 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
IMHO airport WiFi should be as basic a need as airport bathrooms. If you arrive or transit somewhere, and something goes wrong with a flight, a delay or any other unforeseen circumstance, then getting online is a priority.

Even if nothing goes wrong, chances are you need to connect to get directions, contact people, do work, or just check in. And if you have a longer layover somewhere, you will likely want to get online to spend your time productively.

YYZ's WiFi is painfully slow and inconsistent, but at least it's free. The worst are airports that either don't have free WiFi, or make you log on with a mobile phone code (when chances are, as a transit passenger, you won't have a working mobile phone in the country or region where you happen to be yet).

Yes, it's true that business or status pax can usually access internet in the lounge. But for the rest of us? I've been stranded in airports with cancellations, delays and other IRROPS and no way to contact the world. It is not amusing in 2016.
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:56 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I didn't say it can't be done.
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by segacs View Post
IMHO airport WiFi should be as basic a need as airport bathrooms. If you arrive or transit somewhere, and something goes wrong with a flight, a delay or any other unforeseen circumstance, then getting online is a priority.
+1

Originally Posted by segacs View Post
Yes, it's true that business or status pax can usually access internet in the lounge. But for the rest of us? I've been stranded in airports with cancellations, delays and other IRROPS and no way to contact the world. It is not amusing in 2016.
You might be surprised to learn that the pathetic Datavalet internet found in MLLs is usually worse than the free WiFi provided by the airports that house them.
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:23 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
You might be surprised to learn that the pathetic Datavalet internet found in MLLs is usually worse than the free WiFi provided by the airports that house them.
DING!

I don't even use their Wifi while at MLL any more. Heck even my 3G Wind offers better speed.
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:34 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Ugh really? I haven't been in many airport lounges, but the ones I have managed to access (mostly in countries other than Canada) have had awesome WiFi, which has saved my skin on a couple of occasions. Shame that our Canadian airports can't manage to get this right.

(Incidentally, I like flying via YTZ because of the lounge and the WiFi.)
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:42 pm

Has anyone noticed that Canadian cell signals work on flight climb outs and landings, whereas US carriers don't? (I have T-Mobile in the States which allows roaming on Bell.)

I was stunned that I could text and surf more than two minutes out of YUL today.

Different frequency spectrum?
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
Has anyone noticed that Canadian cell signals work on flight climb outs and landings, whereas US carriers don't? (I have T-Mobile in the States which allows roaming on Bell.)

I was stunned that I could text and surf more than two minutes out of YUL today.

You are aware that the rule is airplane mode before takeoff, right? Must be a pretty important guy to feel the rules don't apply to you.
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:53 pm

YYZ (the stuff provided by the GTAA) is excellent. If you run a channel sniffer, they have access points provisioned on literally every 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel that is licensed for use in Canada. Download speeds seem pretty good. I'm really not sure what the complaint is as YYZ's WiFi appears to be basically a model for robust public WiFi access.

The MLLs, on the other hand, at least at YVR and YYZ, would be better off turning over the whole WiFi thing to the airport authorities to provide.

To the OP, you sure there's nothing wrong with your hardware? Because what you're saying about the Pearson Free WiFi runs entirely contrary to my experience.
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post

In Canada, LTE, and 4G is provisioned heavily on the 900/2100MHz channels basically everywhere (by Bell/Telus/SaskTel), with only minor 2600Mhz overlays. T-Mobile is a more heavy user of the 2600MHz frequency, and with lower powers in the denser US centers due to the fact that they have so many more towers.

So your device probably reverted to the 900MHz band, to maintain connectivity. With T-Mobile, they may very well not have had a 900MHz roaming partner or tower wherever you were.

(and yes, you really should follow the safety briefings which prohibit in-flight use of such devices, by inhibiting their operation accordingly with the "airplane mode" feature!).
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
To the OP, you sure there's nothing wrong with your hardware? Because what you're saying about the Pearson Free WiFi runs entirely contrary to my experience.
Pretty crappy right now on 3 different devices, so don't think it's a hardware issue.
Old Aug 28, 16, 8:58 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AC-SE MM,Fairmont Plat, Ritz Platinum , Hertz Platinum, Quintessentially
Originally Posted by winnipegrev View Post
You are aware that the rule is airplane mode before takeoff, right? Must be a pretty important guy to feel the rules don't apply to you.
give him break. Before takeoff Ya Right? Never

Search this Thread
Search Engine: