Fly the Flag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Fly the Flag

AC 223 YYC-YVR, 2016-08-27

Prior to the safety video, there was another video, played twice (same video, once in English, once in French) talking avout traveling and being Canadian. It ended with the AC logo and "Fly the Flag"

I've never seen this before, including on two flights yesterday.

Are they trying to show people how much more Canadian AC is than, say, WS?

The last thing I need is another video I need to watch every flight
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Prior to the safety video, there was another video, played twice (same video, once in English, once in French) talking avout traveling and being Canadian. It ended with the AC logo and "Fly the Flag"

The tagline has been in use for at least a month in advertising leading up to the Olympics:

http://gofar.aircanada.com/en/going-...adaflytheflag/
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
The ad was all over the TV during the Olympics. I didn't really mind it, although I thought it was a little disingenuous showing a college kid in PE

Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by gglave
The ad was all over the TV during the Olympics. I didn't really mind it, although I thought it was a little disingenuous showing a college kid in PE

New Air Canada 'Fly the Flag' Commercial 2016 - YouTube
What are they going to show then?
Packed to the beam awful 777 HD Y? But hey.. there are few college kids who get J through CCs bonus you know :P (Just don't think the value is there to pay $$$$ (not yet atleast)

Fly the flag bruh.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite

Are they trying to show people how much more Canadian AC is than, say, WS?

Besides it being an Olympics piece, they are our flag carrier, and their logo is the maple leaf, so I don't think there is another carrier that is more Canadian anyways.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
The tagline has been in use for at least a month in advertising leading up to the Olympics:

http://gofar.aircanada.com/en/going-...adaflytheflag/
Right, which is fine, but making everyone watch the video TWICE on a flight is a little ridiculous, no?

It wasn't even like the safety video's mixed English/French. The entire video played once in English, then a second time in French.

Then the safety video played.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Right, which is fine, but making everyone watch the video TWICE on a flight is a little ridiculous, no?

It wasn't even like the safety video's mixed English/French. The entire video played once in English, then a second time in French.

Then the safety video played.
Wait, you watch the safety video(s)?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:48 am

I was wondering what that advert was for. Flew two segments on Jazz and the cabin crew must have hit the fast forward button both times.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:00 am

I don't like how Air Canada tries to convince people to fly with them just because they're Canadian.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Lol, I saw it on YT once and thought it was actually pretty well-done if not cheesy.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by agjil
I don't like how Air Canada tries to convince people to fly with them just because they're Canadian.
In football, I believe they call this strategy, a "Hail Mary Pass`.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
In football, I believe they call this strategy, a "Hail Mary Pass`.
The Hail Mary Pass traditionally has a very low chance of success
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
What are they going to show then?
Packed to the beam awful 777 HD Y? But hey.. there are few college kids who get J through CCs bonus you know :P (Just don't think the value is there to pay $$$$ (not yet atleast)
I was wondering when we'd get you to weigh on on that.

Have a little patience - the value prop for J starts to kick in sometime around your seventh or eighth flight in a calendar year.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by agjil
I'm no Air Canada fanboy but any measure, but it's one of their strengths and it's no surprise that they market to it.

If you're considering flying to Peru or Hong Kong or one of a dozen other international destinations I think there's a level of comfort for many people knowing that they can get there on Canada's "Flag Carrier."

If your first language is French, likely doubly so.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by gglave
I'm no Air Canada fanboy but any measure, but it's one of their strengths and it's no surprise that they market to it.

If you're considering flying to Peru or Hong Kong or one of a dozen other international destinations I think there's a level of comfort for many people knowing that they can get there on Canada's "Flag Carrier."
The level of comfort known as 14 hours in "17 inch width Y"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.