Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"The captain won't take off with these seats occupied"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G

http://www.traveller.com.au/rants--raves-gqi0wk

On a recent Air Canada flight.....myself and three other travellers were tersely told by a flight attendant....off the plane, off the plane! No explanation was offered other than "the captain won't take off with these seats occupied".

Last minute weight and balance issue? Load restriction due fuel/take-off weight/range (A321?). Any other explanations? However, whatever the reason (and assuming the story is accurate), the sort of abysmal customer service experience that we hear too often about AC.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe someone complained they needed a shower?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by fin 645

On a recent Air Canada flight.....myself and three other travellers were tersely told by a flight attendant....off the plane, off the plane! No explanation was offered other than "the captain won't take off with these seats occupied".

Last minute weight and balance issue? Load restriction due fuel/take-off weight/range (A321?). Any other explanations? However, whatever the reason (and assuming the story is accurate), the sort of abysmal customer service experience that we hear too often about AC.
I wonder if it was the back row, which seems to be commonly reserved for AC crew to relax away from annoying pax. In this case, the more correct thing for a crew with balls to say would be "We won't secure the cabin until these seats are unoccupied, and thus the captain will have to wait for our on-job action." For a TCON, I could see a weary crew fighting for this space.

I find it hard to believe that 4 pax would be enough to put the flight within weight tolerances, and flight was fully-loaded so balance seems dubious. But I'm not a pilot...
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
And my claim for CAD51 ($A51.46) for a pair of shorts, shirt, undies, socks and a pair of thongs has yet to be acknowledged, four weeks after lodging.
LOL, how to live life without a pair of thongs for a day!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The story is third hand. Who knows what the real story was.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by payam81
LOL, how to live life without a pair of thongs for a day!
Thongs = sandals.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Stranger
The story is third hand. Who knows what the real story was.
I'd put it closer to 1st hand since it is a letter written by one of those affected (loss of thongs), but still possibly not the whole story.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645

I can't take seriously any complaint with the words "Myself and three others".
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I wonder if it was the back row, which seems to be commonly reserved for AC crew to relax away from annoying pax. In this case, the more correct thing for a crew with balls to say would be "We won't secure the cabin until these seats are unoccupied, and thus the captain will have to wait for our on-job action." For a TCON, I could see a weary crew fighting for this space.
The last row is always held back as the last filed space under the FA contract. But I don't believe they have the right to the space for NA flights (they do for certain international pairings).
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
The last row is always held back as the last filed space under the FA contract. But I don't believe they have the right to the space for NA flights (they do for certain international pairings).
Hence assigned, boarded, seated, and chased off the plane as a "no show"? It's possible a human might do something they are not entitled to by right...
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I'm really curious to know the other side of the story on this one. I've flown a bit in my time, and this story the way it's been told is not adding up for me.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I'm really curious to know the other side of the story on this one. I've flown a bit in my time, and this story the way it's been told is not adding up for me.
How often do you sit in the back of Y?

But seriously, I'm with you on this. Seems a bit unusual... I say, security issue, or drunken behaviour, or who knows... more to this than whatever this dude wrote.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
How often do you sit in the back of Y?

But seriously, I'm with you on this. Seems a bit unusual... I say, security issue, or drunken behaviour, or who knows... more to this than whatever this dude wrote.
I sat in Y once in 2010 ish! I booked with my FP on a YVR - YOW last minute and J was 0.

But yes, there really has to be more to this! Just a FA coming up and saying "get off" ( summarizing ), there is no way that's what actually happened.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I sat in Y once in 2010 ish! I booked with my FP on a YVR - YOW last minute and J was 0.

But yes, there really has to be more to this! Just a FA coming up and saying "get off" ( summarizing ), there is no way that's what actually happened.
My bet is something more like "Please stop pulling on madam's hair in front of you. Please stop exposing yourself. Please stop throwing your feces at other pax. Ok, GET OFF! Nono, not like that! Ugh... Please go to the front of the plane for your upgrade!"
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:11 pm

I've been asked to leave a plane for "balance and weight" issues but it was snowing, de-icing was needed and of course delays everywhere so it made for a bad day.

I have never seen / heard of balance and weight issues except for bad weather anticipation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.