Wiki Posts
Search

AC/United booking class confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
AC/United booking class confusion

Booked YHZ-TYS return last night on United.com. Purchased into the W Fare class. First flight operated by Air Canada. Messages AC on Facebook to get seats selected for free, and am told that my W fare is equivalent to Tango, S. That is extremely misleading as every other codeshare flight I've booked through United has gone into the same fare class on AC. It even says my fare is W on AC.com yet I was informed by the social media team it's essentially S. I find this extremely frustrating as what I most wanted was a fare that would earn 100% miles, hence why I purchased the W fare. If I wanted an S fare, which was offered by United as well I would have payed $300 less. I see absolutely no documentation that warns me that my United W fare is essentially Tango with Air Canada, and with the recent fare class alignment the ought to be the same. Do I have a chance at getting this upfared to a true flex fare? Or is it with biting the bullet and paying $100 + to get this changed to a V fare.

Last edited by YHZ_Flyer; Jul 24, 2016 at 5:27 am
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
First off, I understand your frustration. It's extremely difficult to understand even for guys who fly a lot.

From what I can see, since your first flight is operated by AC, the chart to look at would be this.

https://www.aircanada.com/en/aeropla...milesChart.pdf

W would earn you 50% when operated by AC, but it's the cheapest 100% earning fare class when operated by United and credited to AP.

https://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles...Partner=United

What's the length of the AC operated flight segment? Is it long enough to justify the increase in price?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

AC operated flight is domestic YHZ-YYZ. It's only 800 miles, but I'm not really happy earning only 25% miles when I paid for a W fare which should earn 100% miles. As well since I'm traveling with an E50K member on the booking we should also be getting free preferred seats if it would have booked into Flex W, but because it somehow mapped to Tango S I need to pay for seats.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
AC operated flight is domestic YHZ-YYZ. It's only 800 miles, but I'm not really happy earning only 25% miles when I paid for a W fare which should earn 100% miles. As well since I'm traveling with an E50K member on the booking we should also be getting free preferred seats if it would have booked into Flex W, but because it somehow mapped to Tango S I need to pay for seats.
Welcome to AC bruh
Where should have become maybe
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
24 hour free cancellation ?
Then get what you prefer.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Booked YHZ-TYS return last night on United.com. Purchased into the W Fare class. First flight operated by Air Canada. Messages AC on Facebook to get seats selected for free, and am told that my W fare is equivalent to Tango, S. That is extremely misleading as every other codeshare flight I've booked through United has gone into the same fare class on AC. It even says my fare is W on AC.com yet I was informed by the social media team it's essentially S. I find this extremely frustrating as what I most wanted was a fare that would earn 100% miles, hence why I purchased the W fare. If I wanted an S fare, which was offered by United as well I would have payed $300 less. I see absolutely no documentation that warns me that my United W fare is essentially Tango with Air Canada, and with the recent fare class alignment the ought to be the same. Do I have a chance at getting this upfared to a true flex fare? Or is it with biting the bullet and paying $100 + to get this changed to a V fare.

Sadly this is par for the course with this airline. They don't 'bait-and-switch', it is more of 'bait-and-you-are-out-of-luck'. Anytime there is confusion between Star Alliance Airline and Air Canada, the fault is almost always with AC.

The only saving grace is you are on United metal for the second flight. I wouldn't upgrade to V fare either. This company will find a way to either forget you upgraded and give you S class miles anyways or dream up another way to mess up the 'upgrade'.

It is a lesson we've all learned. Sadly in the school of flying, the cruelest lessons come from Mr. AC, otherwise known as Mr. Adversity.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:58 pm

I get your frustration. It's ridiculous that they can't get their fare mapping sorted. I don't really get why anyone would pay an extra $300 for a preferred seat that costs $30-40, and the extra miles surely can't be worth it?

Personally, I've completely given up on chasing status and/or miles of any kind whereas when the program was still relatively decent it was worth it to buy up to higher earning fares for the benefits. I just don't see them being worth it now for anyone but the highest tiers...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state
Sadly this is par for the course with this airline. They don't 'bait-and-switch', it is more of 'bait-and-you-are-out-of-luck'. Anytime there is confusion between Star Alliance Airline and Air Canada, the fault is almost always with AC.

The only saving grace is you are on United metal for the second flight. I wouldn't upgrade to V fare either. This company will find a way to either forget you upgraded and give you S class miles anyways or dream up another way to mess up the 'upgrade'.

It is a lesson we've all learned. Sadly in the school of flying, the cruelest lessons come from Mr. AC, otherwise known as Mr. Adversity.
Except, in this instance, it's UA which sold him a fare that mapped into a non-earning fare and did not tell him. Problem is with UA, not AC.

Usually we get the opposite complains, about booking codeshares on aircanada.com that map onto a booking code that yields nothing.

Bottom line, we should be consistent and blame whichever airline mapped into an unexpected code.

Consistently blaming AC, and very emotionally at that, does little to enhance the poster's credibility. At the end of the day, does not help in those cases where criticism is actually warranted.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
Except, in this instance, it's UA which sold him a fare that mapped into a non-earning fare and did not tell him. Problem is with UA, not AC.

Usually we get the opposite complains, about booking codeshares on aircanada.com that map onto a booking code that yields nothing.

Bottom line, we should be consistent and blame whichever airline mapped into an unexpected code.

Consistently blaming AC, and very emotionally at that, does little to enhance the poster's credibility. At the end of the day, does not help in those cases where criticism is actually warranted.
I agree. This is not ACs fault. The ticket was purchased through UA and thus it is their fare mapping that is the issue. All the basing should be saved for the UA forum.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Consistently blaming AC has not happened. I praised AC on their new phone app about 3 weeks ago and an FA who helped a pax with a tight connection

The fact AC strives to make itself an easy target with poor service, inconsistent execution and a near constant ability to shoot itself in the foot dies not make my comments unwarranted.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I have a similar experience. Purchased a EVA ticket in PE. One leg from LAX-YYZ was booked in AC high flex. Even AC system confirmed it and I upgraded for 4 credits with the AC promo. AE credited 50% of the miles as according to them its a Tango fare. Submitted a claim and no luck. Dont have the time to spend hours calling AC and AE to sort it out.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

In the end I payed $60 to have the booking upfared to V. Looked at cancelling and rebooking in V class, but the price they quoted me to upfare was for some reason cheaper than cancelling and rebooking in V. It was going to cost the same thing to buy preferred seats for 2 people, and I was interested in the 100% miles.

In my opinion United should have waived the fare difference all together, however knowing United I had very low expectations. Both companies seemed very confused over the whole situation. United couldn't understand why their W fare would map into Tango S, as United W is very similar to Air Canada W when you look at the fare rules. I had called Air Canada first and they didn't seem to understand the situation either. If airlines as closely integrated as United and Air Canada are going to sell codeshare flights, I expect that the booking classes should be aligned better.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If airlines as closely integrated as United and Air Canada are going to sell codeshare flights, I expect that the booking classes should be aligned better.
I think one of the problems is simply the availability of letters.

Air Canada has PY. United does not.
United has F. Air Canada does not.

So already, there's going to be some cabin mismatches with fare classes, unless the entire alliance can decide that F/A/O must only be used for F, E/N must only be used for PY, etc.

W should be a little simpler, but I would just be very careful buying a codeshare if you actually need it to work out to a specific fare class on the other airline.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
It would be so much easier if the alliances just standardized their booking classes.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez
It would be so much easier if the alliances just standardized their booking classes.
Star Alliance has a quarterly conference call with employee representing each airline, the employees who attend and are at a VP level are generally allowed to make business decisions on behalf of the airline up to a dollar amount.

Then there is a Star Alliance CEO summit/meeting with all member airlines. Air India held the first, United held 2015 and Swiss held 2016. The 2016 meeting was moved up from December to June to get in front of issues surrounding pending legislation in some countries, Brexit + Heathrow issues and preparation for the Olympics especially with the recent addition of Avianca Brasil.

They have been trying to get common processes pushed through at the last 3 meetings. Everyone is on board (no pun intended) as long as
1/ everyone else adopts their system
or
2/ improvements are kept under ___X___ number of dollars.

It is a two day meeting with another day of fun or touristic events the day after. (Zurich they flew around on a Bombardier CS 100 and they did a tour of the Jungfrau in the Swiss alps for the day).

Its on the list of things to do........just how much money and effort it will take to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.