Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Does AC/AE limit bookings on domestic 787 flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Does AC/AE limit bookings on domestic 787 flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Does AC/AE limit bookings on domestic 787 flights?

Hi all. I don't book a ton of reward flights so I generally don't know all the ins and outs, but I noticed that there's a 788 on Aug 5th from YYC to YYZ (AC1150). The J cabin shows no seats selected yet, but Aeroplan is not showing the flight when I search on that date.

Having never flown on that model, I'd like to try it. Any tips? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have seen that flight available recently (ie last 6 weeks) in Business by using Priority Rewards.

Right now it is:
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T0 L0 A0 K0

I would keep checking or set an alert if you have EF or some other service. Look for R>0 and then you should see it in priority rewards.

There are 12 other direct flights that day, all with Priority Rewards availability. But I understand you are asking specifically about the 787.

Good luck!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks Plumber!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
It's been the anecdotal-but-common experience of lots of us on this board that once a 787 flight hits R=0 (and that's often right from the start), it doesn't go >0 again until day-of.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
It's been the anecdotal-but-common experience of lots of us on this board that once a 787 flight hits R=0 (and that's often right from the start), it doesn't go >0 again until day-of.
It's my anecdotal experience that a lot of those flights go to J0 well before departure too, justifying RM's decision to make it R0
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's my anecdotal experience that a lot of those flights go to J0 well before departure too, justifying RM's decision to make it R0
The same logic could be applied to prohibit all rewards booked at greater than T-1 (because the might take a seat from a revenue pax).

It is really a consequence of AC's two tiered upgrade system (P and R) and their desire to limit upgrades on domestic 787 to latitude fares only until gate processing. This has had the (un)intended consequence of eliminating the IKK benefit on those flights and routes.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
The same logic could be applied to prohibit all rewards booked at greater than T-1 (because the might take a seat from a revenue pax).

It is really a consequence of AC's two tiered upgrade system (P and R) and their desire to limit upgrades on domestic 787 to latitude fares only until gate processing. This has had the (un)intended consequence of eliminating the IKK benefit on those flights and routes.
Well, the difference is the few times I've booked a transcon 787, it's actually been J0-J2 before check-in opens.

If they make it R0 and it's J9 at check-in, they've screwed up. If it's R0 and J2, they have not.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I flew on 1150 on an AE reward last Thursday, booked using priority rewards. But my experience would more likely lend some support to your theory that 787 rewards are limited, since I monitored other options on the route for quite some time afterwards and 1150 was almost never available, whereas the other flights almost always were. For whatever that's worth.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to wait on trying out the 787. Booked a 767 pod flight instead.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to wait on trying out the 787. Booked a 767 pod flight instead.
I am probably in the minority here, but I would prefer the 767 pod...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I've been able to grab the 787 three times on a transcon Aeroplan ticket in the last few months. I typically book my seats a long time out, and have frequently had schedule changes alter the time of the flight, and I book a flight with available seats fairly near to the schedule of the flight I prefer. I call Aeroplan, say the new flight time doesn't work, and just tell them the AC flight number I prefer, and they've just put me on it. I haven't been told 'no' because there were no "I" seats available. Maybe I've just been lucky?

It's also worked the other way, when I had a 787 booked, and it was pulled from the route entirely that day, so not much I could do about that one.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:02 pm

In Y, the flights tend to be priced at a premium, presumably due to demand. Remember, the whole idea of Aeroplan is never to give away a seat that they could have sold for revenue. Hence, the domestic widebody flights gravitate towards less availability. Combined with a preference for 'airplane nerds' to try out the latest/greatest hardware, its perfectly reasonable that its harder to snag seats on such aircraft versus a boring old 320.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.