Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC810 YYZ-IST Cancelled, Military Coup in Turkey

Old Jul 15, 16, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

All over the news.

I have an upcoming connection in IST on TK in October booked on Aeroplan. I wonder if they would allow me to reroute on LH without additional fees or taxes.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
That's 3 months away.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC P25K
Heck, we are supposed to fly TK YUL - IST - BUD a week from now. What to do? Wait? Grab the phone and try to rebook?
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU View Post
Heck, we are supposed to fly TK YUL - IST - BUD a week from now. What to do? Wait? Grab the phone and try to rebook?
IMHO rebook. No way to predict a outcome a week from now.
Old Jul 15, 16, 4:59 pm

Programs: TK*G/E+ SPG (G)
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU View Post
I'd be surprised if the cancellations last more than a couple of days, but would nonetheless recommend rebooking for peace of mind.

In any event, pretty sure this type of event is covered by insurance.

Can't say I m surprised by what's going on there. Sad - it's an amazing country with wonderful people.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
A week out - call the airline and reroute.

3 months out - wait and see.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krayZpaving View Post
A week out - call the airline and reroute.

3 months out - wait and see.
With a bit of luck the coup will have succeeded in less than a week and by then the situation will have returned to normal.

So I would call the airline and ask for options. If something better comes up I would take it. If options are far from ideal I would ask for them to book the option but keep the original booking in the hope that by then things will have returned to normal.

At the time of the Iceland volcano i was booked to fly to Rome. I would call AC every day and they would regularly keep alternate bookings alive for me. Alas, in the end I missed my meeting and i had to cancel altogether.
Old Jul 15, 16, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by yulred View Post
I'd be surprised if the cancellations last more than a couple of days, but would nonetheless recommend rebooking for peace of mind.

I would not count on it. Acts of war, insurrection, and the like are often explicitly excluded from coverage.
Old Jul 15, 16, 7:58 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
Sad - it's an amazing country with wonderful people.
Not the first time of course and Ataturk set up the system so the army was the protector of the secular republic. Any outcome where Erdogan is ousted will be a net positive for the Turkish people, but I dont think it will happen. It has been a long time coming.
Old Jul 15, 16, 8:41 pm

Not sure how reliable this is.
Turkish PM says coup attempt foiled.

Interesting watching some of the diversions on flightradar24.

Hopefully the crew for 811 tomorrow will be repatriated soon.

Last edited by tracon; Jul 15, 16 at 9:13 pm
Old Jul 15, 16, 9:21 pm

Programs: Tinder

Can't say I m surprised by what's going on there. Sad - it's an amazing country with wonderful people.
Pretty sure are you?
Every trip interruption insurance risk transfer contract aka insurance policy has this type of clause;
1 This insurance does not cover any loss, claim or expense of any kind caused directly or indirectly by:
[I]War (declared or not), act of foreign enemies or rebellion.[/I

This is taken directly from the coverage sold by air canada http://www.aircanada.com/en/insuranc...cellation.html
and underwritten by RBC.

edit: And I see resident expert and all around bon vivant KH got there first.
Old Jul 15, 16, 9:27 pm

Programs: TK*G/E+ SPG (G)
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Pretty sure are you?
Every trip interruption insurance risk transfer contract aka insurance policy has this type of clause;
1 This insurance does not cover any loss, claim or expense of any kind caused directly or indirectly by:
[I]War (declared or not), act of foreign enemies or rebellion.[/I

This is taken directly from the coverage sold by air canada http://www.aircanada.com/en/insuranc...cellation.html
and underwritten by RBC.

edit: And I see resident expert and all around bon vivant KH got there first.
Well then, I'm wrong. Although it seems an appropriate travel advisory issued by the Government is sufficient?
Old Jul 16, 16, 12:22 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Well then, I'm wrong. Although it seems an appropriate travel advisory issued by the Government is sufficient?
I think the advisory would merely be substantiation of the cause: Insurrection.

Thankfully it appears things are roughly under control at the moment. I am wearing thin with all the work these events cause me.
Old Jul 16, 16, 4:21 am
Suspended

It's over.

This didn't follow the pattern of any of the real coups in the past which launched middle of the night and early in the morning (best time to have a coup, when you can arrest everyone in bed).

Soldiers did nothing but go out unorganized and seem to shoot at some police and people. Made some announcements. Most surrendered to the police. A few more booms overnight and it's done.

Everyone arrested is in their 20s.

Overall looks like a stunt put on by Erdogan to give reasons to engage in some purges and gathering power closer to himself. Turks themselves are pretty skeptical. Looks like theatre. One man benefits.
Old Jul 16, 16, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
Canada tells citizens not to travel to Turkey

The Canadian government is now recommending that Canadians not travel to Turkey and those who are there to stay indoors. I doubt if they would do so if this is an isolated incident by nobodies.

As for re-routing, I flew BUD-IST-JFK last month on an AP reward. If I was flying a week from now, I would certainly be in contact with AP to re-route. Good news Rouge now flies non-stop to BUD from YYZ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: