I'm leaving on a (non-Air Canada) jetplane.

Old Jul 13, 16, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, NEXUS/GE
I'm leaving on a (non-Air Canada) jetplane.

As much as I've tried this qualifying year, it looks like based on my flying habits I will end the year close to 100K, but my spend on AQD will only be 75% of that, if I'm lucky. I've tried very hard for all my flights to be on AC metal, and will hit the 50K Air Canada AQM requirement in the next few weeks.

I've looked at all the options, and if I take all of that business to United, not being American and subject to AQD, I would get Premier Platinum status, or even Premier 1K. I would still have access to all the MLL's and United Lounges all over North America, and Star Alliance Lounges internationally.

So what's the benefit in staying loyal to AC? Do I switch to United? Anybody else finding the $20K spend to be too high for their travel habits and won't reach SE status? Is that AC's intent in the first place?
Old Jul 13, 16, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
I'm in a similar boat, my estimated flights costs last year would have got me 25k AQD, this year due to some competition on my routes from west jet encore.. I'll probably end up at 17k

I fly 99% within Canada so while I will probably loose out on my SE status I unfortunately won't be switching to other carriers.

Unfortunately this is intentional... they would probably like to reduce the amount of SE's some more and in the last couple of years it hasn't been enough to drive more of them elsewhere
Old Jul 13, 16, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Klove007 View Post

Unfortunately this is intentional... they would probably like to reduce the amount of SE's some more and in the last couple of years it hasn't been enough to drive more of them elsewhere
Yup. If one is a SE and is on this board, chances are that AC wants to get rid of you.

Yes, there are exceptions like the Nomad's of the world, but we all know why FT exists.
Old Jul 13, 16, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
I should hit $20K this year, but that will be because I have my butt in the seat of far more than 100,000 miles of flights on AC this year. Definitely a concern as to whether I'll continue hitting that level in 2017 and beyond.

One future "miss" resulting in becoming a E75KMM might send me scurrying to UA where I should have no problem being a 1K as long as it continues to be based on earned mileage only for us furners.

When the end of the year draws nearer we will start to see people posting "I am X dollars short - will they give it to me anyway or is it worth me doing an AQD run to reach my desired status that I've earned on miles?" Might even drive the AC folk back here to have a look and be able to say "mission accomplished".

Last edited by The Lev; Jul 13, 16 at 4:58 pm
Old Jul 13, 16, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Yup. If one is a SE and is on this board, chances are that AC wants to get rid of you.

Yes, there are exceptions like the Nomad's of the world, but we all know why FT exists.
I use FT to improve my travel experience.

I learned about status (after realizing I'd reach it), flight passes, mileage runs, premium fare sales, effective use of miles, and many more things.

Would AC be better off without me? Maybe.

But then they'd need to further increase the AQD requirements. As long as I'm buying flight passes, it's going to be very hard for any "reasonable" AQD threshold to bump me out.

Just because someone is on FT doesn't mean they're only flying $5 fares. I like a good sale as much as anyone, but optimizing cost is not why I come here. I want to optimize my experience.
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by filthycasual View Post
As much as I've tried this qualifying year, it looks like based on my flying habits I will end the year close to 100K, but my spend on AQD will only be 75% of that, if I'm lucky. I've tried very hard for all my flights to be on AC metal, and will hit the 50K Air Canada AQM requirement in the next few weeks.

I've looked at all the options, and if I take all of that business to United, not being American and subject to AQD, I would get Premier Platinum status, or even Premier 1K. I would still have access to all the MLL's and United Lounges all over North America, and Star Alliance Lounges internationally.

So what's the benefit in staying loyal to AC? Do I switch to United? Anybody else finding the $20K spend to be too high for their travel habits and won't reach SE status? Is that AC's intent in the first place?
For some of us, we reach $20K AQD but not 100,000 AQM.

However, AC also does not want us. We are jerks as far as AC is concerned.

For UA, you may want to review its United Club access policy before finalising your decision:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
For some of us, we reach $20K AQD but not 100,000 AQM.

However, AC also does not want us. We are jerks as far as AC is concerned.

For UA, you may want to review its United Club access policy before finalising your decision:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Not sure what you mean, but I only use the lounges on the same day I am traveling, so unless you're referring to some other questionable way to use the lounges, I think under the Star Alliance Gold rules I would have access to all MLL's and United Lounges?
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I use FT to improve my travel experience.

I learned about status (after realizing I'd reach it), flight passes, mileage runs, premium fare sales, effective use of miles, and many more things.

Would AC be better off without me? Maybe.

But then they'd need to further increase the AQD requirements. As long as I'm buying flight passes, it's going to be very hard for any "reasonable" AQD threshold to bump me out.

Just because someone is on FT doesn't mean they're only flying $5 fares. I like a good sale as much as anyone, but optimizing cost is not why I come here. I want to optimize my experience.
I'm the same way, if anything, I'm on FT to find out ways to not only make my business travel more comfortable and pleasant, but to feed all my mileage collection to get that occasional free flight. I'm not here to game the system, so I'm not sure why AC would consider customers like me to be a liability or otherwise.
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Not sure what you mean, but I only use the lounges on the same day I am traveling, so unless you're referring to some other questionable way to use the lounges, I think under the Star Alliance Gold rules I would have access to all MLL's and United Lounges?
As UA*G, you do not have UC access on purely domestic (US) itineraries.

If every trip is going to be Canada to somewhere, you'll always have access.

But if you ever have a multi-city itinerary (I know a FTer who flew YYZ-LAX // LAX-SFO // SFO-YYZ), you would not have access on the LAX-SFO leg.
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:33 pm

Bye bye - Why bother creating a thread like this? Are you hoping Air Canada will beg you to come back?

Hate to break it to you - You're not an Air Canada frequent flyer if you can't meet the $20K AQD - Air Canada is "just not that into you" to give you SE100K privileges.
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

But if you ever have a multi-city itinerary (I know a FTer who flew YYZ-LAX // LAX-SFO // SFO-YYZ), you would not have access on the LAX-SFO leg.
Ah, interesting catch. Most of my flights are YYZ-US Airport-YYZ, YYZ-YVR-US Airport-YYZ, or YYZ-IAH-MEX, with the odd European multi-city thrown in.

I think I'm good?
Old Jul 13, 16, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYZPAX View Post
Bye bye - Why bother creating a thread like this? Are you hoping Air Canada will beg you to come back?

Hate to break it to you - You're not an Air Canada frequent flyer if you can't meet the $20K AQD - Air Canada is "just not that into you" to give you SE100K privileges.
Thanks, why are you bothering to reply? Does anything I've said point to the fact that I feel entitled to SE100K? I'm weighing my options, and the feedback I'm getting from useful replies is great and well taken. Yours, not so much.
Old Jul 13, 16, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS SPG PLAT(LTP) HHDiamond Marriott PLAT
Anybody else finding the $20K spend to be too high for their travel habits and won't reach SE status? Is that AC's intent in the first place?
Yes. For my travel habit 3-4 Trips in Premium Canada-JNB/CPT, because the issuing airline is LH I will receive 20% of the fare. If I issue it on 014, same ticket will cost me 20%-25% more.
Trips to Asia, if ticketed on 014, even though paying J far my *A connecting flights book into Y. Thus forcing me to ticket on *A carrier.
Than there is big fare delta on lowest upgradeable fare differential between AC & UA to Australia.

Summary if I want to go for AC SE, I will have to cough up $$$$$ for my travel to South Africa & Australia.

IMHO, current SE benefits do not justify paying additional $$$$$ to AC for my business travel to JNB/CPT.

My AC travel budget will be shared between UA, SQ, ANA & LH. I can use my UA GPU to upgrade to First from J on LH & ANA .

If you can make it to UA1K it is well worth. The benefits blow AC SE benefits out of the water.

BTW, UA RDM earning is based on dollars spent. I have been able to recoup the shortfall by purchasing RDM less than 2cents a mile. With AC Intl fares being typical 40% higher than UA fares; the savings I use to purchase additional RDM.
Savings on my Asia & Australia trip, I can purchase 100K additional RDM per roundtrip.

A typical RT to Australia purchasing lowest upgradable fare on United & additional purchase of RDM I get 130K+ RDM.
Using the savings by not purchasing lowest AC upgradeable fare

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jul 13, 16 at 7:17 pm
Old Jul 13, 16, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver (Status challenge)

YMMV, I have also heard that some UC agents do not consider Canada as international.
Old Jul 13, 16, 6:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jlionw View Post
YMMV, I have also heard that some UC agents do not consider Canada as international.
To put it politely, it doesn't matter what they think. There's a big "INTL" on your boarding pass; that alone is sufficient to demonstrate that you are on an international itinerary. Entering Canada from the US requires one to have a passport. Etc.

Search this Thread