Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claims relating to delayed bags (Montreal Convention)?

Old Jul 11, 16, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

On Saturday night, we were flying AC fro Seoul to Toronto and arrived late. Between this and security/immigration, we missed our 8 p.m. connecting flight on United to the Washington DC area (Dulles, our final destination). AC could find no way for us to get to any of the 3 DC-area airports that night or Sunday morning or afternoon. After suggesting that they look for Newark or Philadelphia, I accepted the one available option to get my family home on Sunday before noon: going to Philadelphia that night and renting a car. The AC rep said they'd try to get our bags on that flight.

The bags didn't make it, so Sunday at 12:30 a.m., I filed my claim at the Philadelphia airport. Apparently, the bags made it on our original flight. Unfortunately, because the claim was made in PHL, all the bags need to be returned from Dulles to Philadelphia, get confirmed there, and then sent back to BWI, and then a courier will take them to our house at some point. No one could just schedule a courier to drive them the 40 minutes from Dulles to our house.

So now my teenage daughter is flying to camp tomorrow morning, and we currently have no suitcases and don't have confirmation that they're coming. I've checked regularly. I was just told that they'll put a "rush" on our request. If the bag doesn't come tonight, we will need to buy another suitcase and clothing for our daughter.

Would this be reimbursable? Also, I have a pair of work shoes that I wear regularly (along with toiletries). Can I buy a pair of work shoes for tomorrow if nothing shows up? I'm wearing a ratty old pair today. I may have to buy all these things and return them if the bags show today, but if they don't, I don't have options not to buy luggage and necessary clothing items for my daughter.

Thanks for any insight into how to try to ensure I can be compensated if necessary.
Old Jul 11, 16, 3:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Travel insurance doesn't cover delayed bags for your return trip home, since you should have plenty of "essential items" at home already. I don't imagine the airline would be more generous.

>> Can I buy a pair of work shoes for tomorrow if nothing shows up?

If bag is lost, the expense would likely be reimbursable through travel insurance.
Old Jul 11, 16, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
Travel insurance doesn't cover delayed bags for your return trip home, since you should have plenty of "essential items" at home already. I don't imagine the airline would be more generous.

>> Can I buy a pair of work shoes for tomorrow if nothing shows up?

If bag is lost, the expense would likely be reimbursable through travel insurance.
And the airline would be liable up to some max.
Old Jul 11, 16, 11:36 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
I had a similar situation ex EU where they tried to argue that since I was "home" I did not need replacement stuff, but my situation involved a subsequent trip the required the suitcase and certain outfits in it. I simply had to replace them when 4 days later, there was no sign of my bag. I thought they should pay, under the Montreal convention. They protested and made excuses but could not explain why the Montreal convention did not apply. End of the day, they did reimburse me. It was well under the amount of the Montreal convention.
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
I had a similar situation ex EU where they tried to argue that since I was "home" I did not need replacement stuff, but my situation involved a subsequent trip the required the suitcase and certain outfits in it. I simply had to replace them when 4 days later, there was no sign of my bag. I thought they should pay, under the Montreal convention. They protested and made excuses but could not explain why the Montreal convention did not apply. End of the day, they did reimburse me. It was well under the amount of the Montreal convention.
Did it fully cover your expenses?
Old Jul 12, 16, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
pewpew I will PM you

Search this Thread
Search Engine: