Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seat map shows J nearly empty - mean anything?

Old Jul 10, 16, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: none

I'll be flying Y on AC832 YUL-BRU in mid August and back on AC833 in late August. I was looking at the seat map on the AC booking site and saw that only 2 J seats are taken on the way out and no J seats are full on the way back. ExpertFlyer seat maps show the same.

I'm wondering if I can learn any of the following from this:

(1) J travellers don't buy their tickets this far in advance?
(2) J travellers don't bother to select their seat at purchase time?
(3) I have a good chance at getting a reasonable LMU offer?
(4) If I had eups and a higher grade ticket this would be a great place to use them?
(5) This route is likely to be Rouged at some point?

This is mostly for curiousity's sake. If I get a really good LMU offer I may buy one for my teenage daughter, but the rest of us will be in Y.
I'm just hoping that with Y only half full on the redeye, 29DEFG will stay empty so we can recline without guilt.
Old Jul 10, 16, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
1 and 2, mainly 1. Though I wouldn't count on 3/4 this far out, it is possible given how weak BRU is as a market. I think the only reason AC still flies there is because it's a *A hub.
Old Jul 10, 16, 7:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
I'll be flying Y on AC832 YUL-BRU in mid August and back on AC833 in late August. I was looking at the seat map on the AC booking site and saw that only 2 J seats are taken on the way out and no J seats are full on the way back. ExpertFlyer seat maps show the same.

I'm wondering if I can learn any of the following from this:

(1) J travellers don't buy their tickets this far in advance?
(2) J travellers don't bother to select their seat at purchase time?
(3) I have a good chance at getting a reasonable LMU offer?
(4) If I had eups and a higher grade ticket this would be a great place to use them?
(5) This route is likely to be Rouged at some point?

This is mostly for curiousity's sake. If I get a really good LMU offer I may buy one for my teenage daughter, but the rest of us will be in Y.
I'm just hoping that with Y only half full on the redeye, 29DEFG will stay empty so we can recline without guilt.
Randomly checked second half of August, and there is certainly space, but nowhere near empty. Just pulled up my flight plan for tonight and the only seats not assigned/selected are to my SE's. Go figure. Personally -- I don't see this flight being Rouged.
Old Jul 10, 16, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Randomly checked second half of August, and there is certainly space, but nowhere near empty. Just pulled up my flight plan for tonight and the only seats not assigned/selected are to my SE's. Go figure. Personally -- I don't see this flight being Rouged.
I guess the seat map that you see before buying the ticket is not very reliable. Aug 17 832 shows 2 seats assigned (was only 1 last week), and Aug 30 833 shows 0 seats assigned.
Old Jul 10, 16, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I guess the seat map that you see before buying the ticket is not very reliable. Aug 17 832 shows 2 seats assigned (was only 1 last week), and Aug 30 833 shows 0 seats assigned.
I'm not at liberty to divulge load information, but you're confusing booked seats with selected seats. Why is the seat map not reliable? It's reflective of seats you are free to choose in real time either because of light loads or non-selected seats.
Old Jul 10, 16, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
The seat map is pretty much 100% reliable for its intended purpose - showing you seats that are available for you to select.
Old Jul 10, 16, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I guess I should stop trying to glean load information from the seat maps. Don't need to know it anyway, just curious.
Old Jul 10, 16, 12:47 pm

LOL if I took the seat map at face value I am the ONLY person on a flight in April ... a 789 ... if that still hasn't changed in a couple months I may become moderately concerned (finding a replacement routing will suck), but for now I just find it amusing.

Search this Thread