Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Infant award ticket booking on Aeroplan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant award ticket booking on Aeroplan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Aha! Thanks guys for clearing that up
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Aeroplan is actually really great in this regard. There are other programs that charge 10% of the actual cost of the ticket (if you were to purchase it) to add an infant. Can be hundreds of dollars in J or F.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:41 pm

Just to confirm, for international travel you pay the fee - $100 for J award - and there are no other taxes or charges. Right?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Booked my 2 year old daughter on rewards ticket. I am on all the same flights but I am flying revenue. I linked our PNRs; however, may I be in trouble for booking her seat as a minor separately (I selected "adult" by mistake on AE site). Is there any way to rectify this or does it need to be rectified?

Last edited by capebretonboy; Sep 9, 2018 at 12:30 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Booked my 2 year old daughter on rewards ticket. I am on all the same flights but on a reward reservation. I linked our PNRs; however, may I be in trouble for booking her seat as a minor separately (I selected "adult" by mistake on AE site). Is there any way to rectify this or does it need to be rectified?
Is this an economy redemption or J/F redemption? I recently had two bookings made by AE agent where my child daughter was booked as an adult for both bookings. Both bookings were J, hence the tax calculations are the same regardless whether an adult or child. All that was then required was for a note to be put on the PNR indicating that she is a minor.

There are certain Passenger Facility Service Charges that are waived for child passengers in economy class, which is why I asked you that question in the beginning. Apparently booking child as adult happens way more often than we realize. Most times they don't pose problems for the reasons stated above (taxes), unless the child will not be travelling with either parent or the child will be traveling alone (or you are going through the US). A consent letter with the parent not travelling will be required to pass through immigration or you could be denied entry (and possibly sent back).

Now if you will be making changes to the itinerary, I'd advise you to enquire about correcting the passenger type at the same time since the ticket needs to be re-issued. I will be doing that to one of my itineraries.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by YYT82

Is this an economy redemption or J/F redemption? I recently had two bookings made by AE agent where my child daughter was booked as an adult for both bookings. Both bookings were J, hence the tax calculations are the same regardless whether an adult or child. All that was then required was for a note to be put on the PNR indicating that she is a minor.

There are certain Passenger Facility Service Charges that are waived for child passengers in economy class, which is why I asked you that question in the beginning. Apparently booking child as adult happens way more often than we realize. Most times they don't pose problems for the reasons stated above (taxes), unless the child will not be travelling with either parent or the child will be traveling alone (or you are going through the US). A consent letter with the parent not travelling will be required to pass through immigration or you could be denied entry (and possibly sent back).

Now if you will be making changes to the itinerary, I'd advise you to enquire about correcting the passenger type at the same time since the ticket needs to be re-issued. I will be doing that to one of my itineraries.
We are both in economy and my original post was incorrect: I am flying revenue. Is it as simple as correcting the passenger type? I assume it's not a good idea to wait until we are checking in at the airport.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
We are both in economy and my original post was incorrect: I am flying revenue. Is it as simple as correcting the passenger type? I assume it's not a good idea to wait until we are checking in at the airport.
In your case, you need to call in and enquire about rectifying this as you are on separate PNRs. You may need to cancel and rebook.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:26 pm

Booked my 2 year old daughter on rewards ticket. I am on all the same flights but I am flying revenue. I linked our PNRs; however, may I be in trouble for booking her seat as a minor separately (I selected "adult" by mistake on AE site). Is there any way to rectify this or does it need to be rectified?
Thought I would follow up on this post of mine. Called Aeroplan and AC reservations. Both were not concerned that I booked a single child ticket on points as an "adult". They said the fact I linked the PNRs was good and the AC agent simply noted on our file that my daughter was 2 years old.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
I am planning a multi-city AP ticket in J for 50k miles x 2 adults.

When calling in to AP to add an infant, what fees am I expected to pay? (Am I also responsible for all the airport fees and taxes for the infant?)

Edit: AP informed me I would only be responsible for taxes. A pleasant surprise for once.

Last edited by CanRulez; Dec 21, 2018 at 7:43 pm Reason: Update after calling AP
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I am planning a multi-city AP ticket in J for 50k miles x 2 adults.

When calling in to AP to add an infant, what fees am I expected to pay? (Am I also responsible for all the airport fees and taxes for the infant?)

Edit: AP informed me I would only be responsible for taxes. A pleasant surprise for once.
Yes. We've only needed to pay the infant flat fee + sales tax. I.e. $100 + $5 for intl J.

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Yes. We've only needed to pay the infant flat fee + sales tax. I.e. $100 + $5 for intl J.

hmmm...she made no mention of $100....just taxes.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver

Make sure the ticket gets issued:
- they will email an itinerary
- check aeroplan website

Make sure that on the ticket, the name of your child is on it, AND make sure there is an 014 ticket number associated with your child's name.

You may need to call back into Aeroplan and make sure there are no outstanding/owing amounts on the ticket. If there is $ owing, then they won't issue the updated ticket properly for your infant; which would be a huge problem to find out about on the day of travel.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

you are charged only the taxes and no extra fee when the itinerary is between Canada and the US
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

you are charged only the taxes and no extra fee when the itinerary is between Canada and the US
Ahh, thanks! That explains the discrepancy!
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Make sure the ticket gets issued:
- they will email an itinerary
- check aeroplan website

Make sure that on the ticket, the name of your child is on it, AND make sure there is an 014 ticket number associated with your child's name.

You may need to call back into Aeroplan and make sure there are no outstanding/owing amounts on the ticket. If there is $ owing, then they won't issue the updated ticket properly for your infant; which would be a huge problem to find out about on the day of travel.
Yes I am going to echo this....... Confirm, confirm and reconfirm your infant's ticket with the different carriers at your earliest!

Running into problems now with AE, AC and other *A carriers.

First it was not properly ticketed because someone forgot to charge the airport taxes on infant ticket
Now the tickets somehow are not tied to Mrs GHT PNR and some airline cannot get GHT Jr's ticket number pulled up.
Third..... we are having problems securing bassinet seats

World class airline with best computer systems..... *rolleyes*

Last edited by global happy traveller; Jan 5, 2019 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.