#daretocompare - but is it fair??

Old Jul 6, 16, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Gold
#daretocompare - but is it fair??

Did anyone see westjets latest marketing video #daretocompare

It seems pretty clear they are comparing Air Canada, as the seats look almost identical.

However, is the comparison really fair? They aren't comparing apples to apples. They are comparing Westjet premium economy to Air Canada regular economy highest fare (latitude fair)

They also don't talk about the free cancellation with latitude.
And what about the price examples, seem fixed?
Old Jul 6, 16, 4:46 pm

Programs: E35K, *Silver, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter, Previous E50K *G
WestJet offers free cancellation to an extent-100% into a travel bank (that covers taxes and fees) or a fee between $50-59 for a full refund (up until 2 hours before departure).

In terms of prices, why not try for yourself?

I did YOW-YVR August 15th:
Plus on the nonstop is $767.41. AC Latitude is $1388 (for same flight time).
Flexare exactly the same at $630.
Econo/Tango are 330 and $364 (respectively).
Old Jul 6, 16, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But since when can one expect advertisement to be fair?

All BS and smoke and mirrors anyway.

Whether AC, WS, Bell, whatever.
Old Jul 6, 16, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC View Post
Did anyone see westjets latest marketing video #daretocompare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ggslzB0qE

It seems pretty clear they are comparing Air Canada, as the seats look almost identical.

However, is the comparison really fair? They aren't comparing apples to apples. They are comparing Westjet premium economy to Air Canada regular economy highest fare (latitude fair)

They also don't talk about the free cancellation with latitude.
And what about the price examples, seem fixed?
Nowhere near as clever as the wing walker ad's that Cdn aired back in the day.

Old Jul 6, 16, 6:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It starts off saying flying for business. To me that implies it should be similar to business and it's not. The middle seat blocked is a European tactic that I hate. The extra leg room... sure, but no improvement on width.

Plus, their boarding order is people with kids then plus seats. That's like zone 2.5 before zone 1. Even PY gets you zone 2 with AC.

The food selections on short flights are also rubbish. If it's < 3 hours you can't get a sandwich. Like really?

Last year I did my YYZ->YHZ trip with WJ Plus (before middle seat blocking). This year I'm flying AC.
Old Jul 6, 16, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
It starts off saying flying for business. To me that implies it should be similar to business and it's not. The middle seat blocked is a European tactic that I hate. The extra leg room... sure, but no improvement on width.

Plus, their boarding order is people with kids then plus seats. That's like zone 2.5 before zone 1. Even PY gets you zone 2 with AC.

The food selections on short flights are also rubbish. If it's < 3 hours you can't get a sandwich. Like really?

Last year I did my YYZ->YHZ trip with WJ Plus (before middle seat blocking). This year I'm flying AC.
Its really PY light. the comparison is AC Y with the extra room seats upfront. In which case all you get is a guarantee of an empty middle seat.
Old Jul 6, 16, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yul36 View Post
Nowhere near as clever as the wing walker ad's that Cdn aired back in the day.

Canadian Airlines-The Dawn of Civilized Air Travel - YouTube
Lol, I watched this while a YouTube rap song started in the background just as the announcer started talking. I was really confused
Old Jul 6, 16, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
[QUOTE=yul36;26879997]Nowhere near as clever as the wing walker ad's that Cdn aired back in the day.

Thanks for the clip. Brings back lots of memories.

Old Jul 6, 16, 7:41 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yul36 View Post
Its really PY light. the comparison is AC Y with the extra room seats upfront. In which case all you get is a guarantee of an empty middle seat.
Definitely.

Forgot to mention my favourite part. Plus includes 2 x 23kg suitcases.

Coming back I had 1 suitcase at 25kg. I was made to unpack it on the floor at check-in to try and get the weight down. When i finally got it down to 24kg the WJ person finally overrode the system to let me check it in.

Was not impressed.

And here's the thing, to fly Plus with WJ on my dates this year it's $1100. I can do AC J for $1200. That also gives me lounge access and much better flight times. That's a no brainer for me.

The cheapest I can find with WJ is $667, AC is $672. That's tango. Does AC provide a checked bag for that domestically? Because WJ doesn't.

I'd not flown WJ for about 15 years (they were new) until last year, and I don't see myself flying them again. In this case AC really has the edge...

The only redeemed feature I've found with WJ is that if the flights go down you get WJ$ back. I've been stung on AC (intl) flights going down $500 after booking so that would be useful but it's not worth the rest of it to me.
Old Jul 6, 16, 8:17 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Its not really that hard to compare oneself to a dumpster
TBH.....
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:05 pm

Programs: E35K, *Silver, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter, Previous E50K *G
Definitely.

Forgot to mention my favourite part. Plus includes 2 x 23kg suitcases.

Coming back I had 1 suitcase at 25kg. I was made to unpack it on the floor at check-in to try and get the weight down. When i finally got it down to 24kg the WJ person finally overrode the system to let me check it in.

Was not impressed.

And here's the thing, to fly Plus with WJ on my dates this year it's $1100. I can do AC J for $1200. That also gives me lounge access and much better flight times. That's a no brainer for me.

The cheapest I can find with WJ is $667, AC is $672. That's tango. Does AC provide a checked bag for that domestically? Because WJ doesn't.

I'd not flown WJ for about 15 years (they were new) until last year, and I don't see myself flying them again. In this case AC really has the edge...

The only redeemed feature I've found with WJ is that if the flights go down you get WJ$ back. I've been stung on AC (intl) flights going down $500 after booking so that would be useful but it's not worth the rest of it to me.
WJ nor AC offer a free checked bag on the lowest fare (unless you have status). If you do a plus fare 6 times, your $6,000 in spend gets you lounge vouchers
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I greatly dislike WS for trying to bring European J to Canada and expect us to not call them on their BS.
Old Jul 6, 16, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K/*G, WS Gold
They got rid of that.

https://www.westjet.com/guest/en/pri...uarantee.shtml
"As of January 5th, 2016, the WestJet Price Drop Guarantee is no longer available. For all guests who booked with us prior to January 5th, 2016, our Price Drop Guarantee is still valid."
Old Jul 6, 16, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
I think WS would be better off attacking AC on the more basic end - compare WS on YYZ - YUL lowest fare vs. AC:
- change flight times on day of travel free - WS Yes AC- no
- complimentary beer and wine - WS yes, AC no
- "snack" - WS - fruit bar, AC pretzels
- price - WS usually ~$50 lower

It's a bit of a on-brainer unless you really value lounge access. Plus is a tougher sell IMHO.
Old Jul 6, 16, 10:30 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I think WS would be better off attacking AC on the more basic end - compare WS on YYZ - YUL lowest fare vs. AC:
- change flight times on day of travel free - WS Yes AC- no
- complimentary beer and wine - WS yes, AC no
- "snack" - WS - fruit bar, AC pretzels
- price - WS usually ~$50 lower

It's a bit of a on-brainer unless you really value lounge access. Plus is a tougher sell IMHO.
WestJet Gold has lounge access.. well, I got a bunch of eVouchers I never used.

Search this Thread