Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Reward tickets changes - how Aeroplan handles it?

Old Jul 4, 16, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am thinking to change only one leg of 4 reward tickets in 3 different aeroplan accounts. Does anyone know if Aeroplan rebook the new itinerary first then cancel the old one or the other way around?

I am concerned that if Aeroplan cancel my old itinerary first, and someone grabs my award seats before Aeroplan rebook my new one, what can I do?

As my 4 award tickets were booked in 3 different accounts, it would take Aeroplan a little while to process the change. Will Aeroplan guarantee that all 4 tickets can be changed or none?

What should I need to pay extra attention on?

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 16, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. I believe they can hold the remainder of the itinerary while working on one leg.

2. Surely you can ask if there are four seats available on the new leg before starting the process. If there are they may well be able to block these while doing the processing; ask if indeed they can.

Start by explaining clearly the whole issue.

BTW you'll be charged four change fees.
Old Jul 4, 16, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

I checked online there are 4 seats available for the leg that I would like to change to, and the lower fee/tax of the new leg will cover the $90 change fee.
Thanks for the suggestion.

There are no extra seats available for my other legs of the ticket, so if Aeroplan is able to hold the remainder of the itinerary while changing on the new leg, it would make me feel more comfortable.

What's other people's experience? Did Aeroplan ever agree to only cancel the old itinerary if the new itinerary can be booked successfully?
Old Jul 4, 16, 11:29 pm

Actually just did that this morning. I wanted to keep my YYZ-IST-KTM on TK but wanted to change my AC arrival out of YVR so I had more time to connect. Phoned in (wait time 14min) I feed the agent the flight I wanted to change to. Paid the change fee. Email confirmation in less than an hour. All good.
Old Jul 5, 16, 2:15 am

I done changes to segments in the past and never had issues. My were usually from one or 2 accounts only.
Old Jul 5, 16, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info.

Do the e ticket numbers and reservation numbers change afterward?
Old Jul 5, 16, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lingecw View Post
Thanks for info.

Do the e ticket numbers and reservation numbers change afterward?
Normally the booking reference does not change. Ticket number might.
Old Jul 5, 16, 10:46 am

I am looking at my ticket right now. Changed twice the original ticket and e tickets changed every-time but reservation numbers or BR stays the same.
Old Jul 5, 16, 11:34 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium
I've changed individual segments before without problems. They just release the one segment you're changing but keep the others.
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the responses. You guys are so helpful.
Old Jul 11, 16, 4:07 pm

I have been told that changing a one segment of a pre-devaluation ticket not only triggers change fees, it reprices at new levels as well.
Any way around that?
Old Jul 11, 16, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by stevento View Post
I have been told that changing a one segment of a pre-devaluation ticket not only triggers change fees, it reprices at new levels as well.
Any way around that?
HUCA is my suggestion. While one agent said that I needed to pay extra miles in addition to the changes in fees, the next one did the change without a problem and without requiring more points. Mind you, this was back in February for a ticket used in May so maybe things have changed then. YMMV.
Old Dec 14, 16, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE
I did a change to a mini-RTW more than an hour ago (completely different flights). itinerary-receipt email or new taxes haven't come out yet. The AC/Aeroplan PNR, as well as one of the partner PNRs show the correct new flights. However, when I check the ticket number in Saudi website it still shows the old itinerary flights.

Could it be that the new itinerary hasn't been ticketed yet ? Aeroplan -> Manager My Rewards states that it is ticketed.

Am I falling victim to a de-synchronization between the PNR and tickets ?
Old Dec 14, 16, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
It's been less than an hour. You haven't received an email.

It has not been reticketed.
Old Dec 14, 16, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
It's been less than an hour. You haven't received an email.

It has not been reticketed.
Got it now, thanks.

Does the new itinerary-receipt after a change show the total amount in taxes/scamcharges or just the difference/extra from the initial itinerary ?
Initial itin. charges were around $600, and after the change it now says $170 in XT which was charged to my credit card. If the new amount is the whole taxes then I think I am due a refund

The agent was unable to quote me the new taxes/scamcharges during the call. I had to provide my credit card info and let them charge an undetermined amount.

Search this Thread