FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Latitude eUps - specifically YYZ/SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1776174-latitude-eups-specifically-yyz-sfo.html)

jc94 Jul 4, 2016 3:38 pm

Latitude eUps - specifically YYZ/SFO

Hi

So this are probably really obvious questions but I'm struggling to find anything definitive and recent on it. Most of the time I won't buy Latitude because my travel needs don't tend to change, at least not often enough to warrant the cost.

However, what does interest me is the fact that one can apparently upgrade a latitude ticket to J (well, P) right after booking for very few eUps.
And for YYZ->SFO flights latitude costs are commonly 50% or less of P.

So, other than needing 4 eupgrades what's the catch here? Do I get 125% miles instead of 150%?

Or is this upgrade not guaranteed and instead waitlisted which puts me very low on the priority list for what is likely a busy flight? I don't recall seeing latitude flights being this much cheaper before.

Also, can I book and upgrade with this years credits for a flight after Feb next year? or do the eUps have to come from the current year because they'll expire Feb 28th 2017?

And depending upon the above, does it make any difference if I get status next year?

Thanks.

canadiancow Jul 4, 2016 3:57 pm

You need 2 credits each way. It upgrades based on Z availability, not P.

You earn 125% miles.

If there is no Z space, you will be waitlisted, and then it will be based on status, then fare class, if it doesn't clear before the gate. If it gets that far, you'd be low on the list.

I'd suggest you buy a Latitude flight pass if you can commit to five round trips in the next year. It upgrades into J space at T-48 hours, and works out to around $1000 each way, and is fully flexible.

cperciva Jul 4, 2016 4:01 pm

If there is R space when you book your B ticket (if you're doing this 2+ weeks out, there usually will be), then yes, you can book and insta-upgrade; and yes, it's often cheaper than P fares.

Yes, you only get 125% AQM instead of 150%.

If everything goes smoothly you'll be fine, but a B ticket is ultimately a B ticket, so if Air Canada decides to change planes or you need to be rebooked (a plane goes mechanical, weather delays make you miss a connection, etc.) you might end up back in the Economy cabin.

You can't upgrade using eUps which expire before the flight in question, so if you're looking at flights in March 2017 you won't be able to upgrade them yet.

jc94 Jul 4, 2016 4:07 pm

Unfortunately my flight plans for NA are probably max 3-4 round trips next year :(

It sounds like my best bet is to check on Z space (there's a website I can pay a few $ for that does that right) and then book if it's clear. Or does picking "list only upgradable fares" only show if >=Z1?

Can I use 2016 eUps to upgrade flights taking place after Feb 28th 2017?

jc94 Jul 4, 2016 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva (Post 26870188)
If there is R space when you book your B ticket (if you're doing this 2+ weeks out, there usually will be), then yes, you can book and insta-upgrade; and yes, it's often cheaper than P fares.

Yes, you only get 125% AQM instead of 150%.

If everything goes smoothly you'll be fine, but a B ticket is ultimately a B ticket, so if Air Canada decides to change planes or you need to be rebooked (a plane goes mechanical, weather delays make you miss a connection, etc.) you might end up back in the Economy cabin.

You can't upgrade using eUps which expire before the flight in question, so if you're looking at flights in March 2017 you won't be able to upgrade them yet.

Doh. So I'd have to book short turn then depending upon when next years status clears.

Understood about the potential pitfalls. Would booking a preferred seat first in case it goes of IRROPS be more likely to put me in a better seat on the new plane or are all bets off? March isn't exactly reliable weather.

Thanks.

Stranger Jul 4, 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva (Post 26870188)

As Cow already mentioned, for domestic/NA upgrades on a B fare can be confirmed at any time if there is not only R but also Z inventory.

jc94 Jul 5, 2016 11:09 am

Right thanks. Please could someone point me at the appropriate place to read up on R vs Z? I've tried to find information but it's hard to search for "R" and "Z" and most of what I've found is unhelpful AC pages talking about it without explaining what the differences are!

I guess one advantage, is Lat. being fully refundable along with all tickets within 24 hours means I can always book, try to upgrade then cancel and re-book with flex/tango if nothing is available.

mountaingrl Jul 5, 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 26873429)
Right thanks. Please could someone point me at the appropriate place to read up on R vs Z? I've tried to find information but it's hard to search for "R" and "Z" and most of what I've found is unhelpful AC pages talking about it without explaining what the differences are!

I guess one advantage, is Lat. being fully refundable along with all tickets within 24 hours means I can always book, try to upgrade then cancel and re-book with flex/tango if nothing is available.

Z fare is just a discounted business class fare. R or R space is a term used to indicate whether there is a reward fare or upgradeable fare available. For international fares you are actually looking for P space to eupgrade a Lat fare (but not transborder is my understanding).
Maybe a more simple approach for you would be to look for the Lat fare you want on the aircanada.com webpage select "fares available to eupgrade". If there is R space available on your flight, that is upgrade space, it will show you that your Lat fare can be immediately eupgraded to a business class ticket with 2 eupgrades for one leg. If there is no R space then you will be waitlisted if you choose to eupgrade - with the potential for eupgrade space to become available later but not guaranteed.

You can also purchase something like Expertflyer or KVS which can tell you which flights have R space available on them.

D582 Jul 5, 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 26873429)

AC has 6 business class 'booking classes', in descending order:

J C D Z P R I

JCDZP are regular ticket classes with J (usually) being the most expensive, down to P as the most discounted.

R is used for seat upgrade availability

I is used for award seats (i.e. Aeroplan)

To upgrade a Flex or PE Lowest ticket to Business, at the time of the request, there must be availability in R class, or you will be waitlisted.

To upgrade a Latitude or PE Flexible ticket to Business, at the time of the request there must be either be availability in R class, or availability in P class (for international flights), or Z class (for North American and Caribbean flights). This provides for additional availability to those on Latitude/PE Flexible tickets.

Using YYZ SFO for 1 August as an example:

Code:

01AUG  MON  YYZ/EDT    SFO/PDT-3                           
1AC  735 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 Y9*YYZSFO 0630 0904 320 B 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9                                 
2AC  737 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R5 Y9*YYZSFO 0800 1025 763 B 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W0                                 
3AC  757 J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R3 Y9*YYZSFO 1235 1509 320 M 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U9 H9 Q4 V0 W0                                 
4AC  753 J7 C7 D6 Z6 P0 R2 Y9*YYZSFO 1645 1919 320 M 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U9 H9 Q4 V0 W0                                 
5AC  739 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R6 Y9*YYZSFO 1845 2110 763 M 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V3 W0                                 
6AC  759 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 Y9*YYZSFO 2055 2329 320 M 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W1

On a Flex fare, you would only be interested in what is showing in R class. On a Latitude fare, you would first look to see what is showing in R class. If nothing is available, then you would also look at Z class. In this example, all flights could be upgraded because there is availability in R class.

If we choose a different day:

Code:

11JUL  MON  YYZ/EDT    SFO/PDT-3                           
1AC  735 J2 C2 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y0*YYZSFO 0630 0904 320 B 0 DCA /E 
        B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0                                 
2AC  737 J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y0*YYZSFO 0800 1025 763 B 0 DCA /E 
        B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0                                 
3AC  757 J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y0*YYZSFO 1235 1509 320 M 0 DCA /E 
        B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0                                 
4AC  753 J2 C2 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y5*YYZSFO 1645 1919 320 M 0 DCA /E 
        B5 M4 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0                                 
5AC  739 J5 C5 D4 Z4 P2 R0 Y9*YYZSFO 1845 2119 321 M 0 DCA /E 
        B9 M9 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0                                 
6AC  759 J5 C5 D5 Z0 P0 R0 Y4*YYZSFO 2055 2329 320 M 0 DCA /E 
        B4 M4 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0

On a Flex fare, no upgrades could be confirmed because there is no R class availability. However on a Latitude fare, you could have an upgrade confirmed on AC 739 as there are seats in Z class.

yyznomad Jul 5, 2016 2:09 pm

One clarification to add... And this is what I learned here on FT ( ^ ) and confirmed by my own actual experiences.

It is based on Z fare but comes out of R even if R is zero.
So in the above case of AC739, one would get the upgrade based on positive Z space. Once upgraded, it will show R (not Z even though it as R0).

This also applies for international based on positive P but coming out of R regardless of R.

And yes, @mountaintirl, Transborder and domestic are based on Z.

jc94 Jul 5, 2016 4:36 pm

Wow that's great - thanks very much everyone I will be bookmarking this thread :)

Trying my first eUp next week. Well second attempt, didn't realize low PY wasn't eligible.