Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Delayed Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Why give an address when you had tight time, why not tell them you would pick it up at the airport.
Because OP was told he was going to get his bag the next day?????
Which did not happen...

On July 2nd Night, the bag did not arrive at YYZ
On July 3rd morning, OP was told he will get his bag ON THAT DAY
On July 4th 1PM: After OP have informed them of such issues, they went ahead and delivered the bag anyways
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Because OP was told he was going to get his bag the next day?????
Which did not happen...
I day stay at the place does not constitute a mailing address as per "I "live" in Toronto as a mailing address... it's a 1 day transit to visit family (my first overnight here in 2 years I think). I'm flying out to NY tomorrow morning".

Carriers promise the luggage to be with the pax when they land. That did not happen, why would anyone believe 100 % that the luggage will be delivered the next day especially if one is on the move. A more appropriate expectation would have been to await the luggage at the airport and pick it up in person.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I day stay at the place does not constitute a mailing address as per "I "live" in Toronto as a mailing address... it's a 1 day transit to visit family (my first overnight here in 2 years I think). I'm flying out to NY tomorrow morning".

Carriers promise the luggage to be with the pax when they land. That did not happen, why would anyone believe 100 % that the luggage will be delivered the next day especially if one is on the move. A more appropriate expectation would have been to await the luggage at the airport and pick it up in person.
Actually that wouldn't be appropriate at all. I bring that luggage to Toronto FOR Toronto. Parts of my luggage is to remain in Toronto.

1) if I pickup luggage on the morning of my flight, I'll have excess luggage not meant for NY. What am I supposed to do, leave it at the airport?
2) if I make a special trip the day before to pickup, that's 3 hours of wasted time and transportation costs. 3 hours is a lot of time for a 1 day transit.

Now if my luggage had arrived on time, I would have dropped off my gifts to parents at their place, and packed my NY luggage into my other bags. I'm not expecting AC to make my life better, I'm just expecting them to make it as close to what they promised (on time luggage delivery).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:51 pm

Sure, you got your luggage as promised.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by tinchote
Some of the posters above seem to imply that checking baggage is a recipe for disaster. My experience does not agree with this.

I'm really curious if people's experience are mostly different than mine?
My experience is much different. I find AC to be the black hole of luggage. To be fair, it has always turned up and I've never had stuff stolen, but they lose a lot. Especially if you have to start your journey in one Canadian city, go to Toronto and transfer to a US flight. That's just asking for trouble.

One thing about AC and lost luggage, once it is gone, it is the devil's job to retrieve it. Everyone has been on hold to that number in India that the guy/girl who is on the ground, in the airport is happily to hand you that number on the little card.

With luggage AC is a continual disappointment.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Hmm, this is unfortunate. I've had good luck with AC (actually all airlines), even without status.

I check in laptops, harddrives, other valuables, no lock, no priority tag... never lost a thing, and only one delay requiring courier that I could remember.

Oh wait, another delay because I changed flights at the gate and got to YYZ earlier than the original flight. They still couriered it to me that evening.

Some will say perhaps I don't have much travel experience I guess. I'll say I'm perhaps a very lucky person in general.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by The smallest state
My experience is much different. I find AC to be the black hole of luggage. To be fair, it has always turned up and I've never had stuff stolen, but they lose a lot. Especially if you have to start your journey in one Canadian city, go to Toronto and transfer to a US flight. That's just asking for trouble.

One thing about AC and lost luggage, once it is gone, it is the devil's job to retrieve it. Everyone has been on hold to that number in India that the guy/girl who is on the ground, in the airport is happily to hand you that number on the little card.

With luggage AC is a continual disappointment.
AMEN, The Truth Has Been Spoken
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Had a weird experience today with baggage claim at BOS and wondering if others have had this. My first bag shows up on the carousel within a decent amount of time. Second bag doesn't show, and carousel stops. I went into the baggage claim office to see if more bags were still coming. The agent says all bags are out, and tells me my bag wasn't loaded in YUL. I go through the whole process of setting up a claim, and the agent seems to be absolutely clueless about the process of bag delivery. I leave the office extremely frustrated ready to write in a complaint about both the employee, and the fact that my baggage was left in YUL, only to see that the carousel is moving again and out comes my bag all alone, about 30 min after everybody else's bag arrived. So much for the agent seeing that it was offloaded in YUL. Not exactly sure what the reason for the delay was. Wondering if maybe the bag fell off the cart? It had some new scratches on it, although not damaged, or could it have been held up by the TSA? I guess I will never know, but I sure am glad it made it.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by beep88
2 questions:

1. Even "frequent fliers" (not OP) do not have travel insurance? ... "and spent 4 hours on the phone to buy some toothpaste and toothbrush"

2. You are entitled to compensation for DELAYED baggage when it's a return flight that landed at your place of residence ??? Even travel insurance doesn't cover that.
Im curious on this question #2 as well. Is the compensation only for when not in home province or if I return from my trip without my bag can i still claim this?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: 35 K
My Daughter and Husband traveled to Stockholm From Calgary. Their route was AC - YYC-Fra then Lufthansa FRA to ARN. When they arrived at ARN they were informed that their luggage did not make it which is disappointing since they flew business class. It has now been 3 days with no luggage and I know from past experience that it is the last airline you flew is who you deal with but Lufthansa just tells them it is still with AC. My question is are they due compensation for purchases? I suspect the EU rules don't apply since the flight originated in Canada.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Medhatter
My Daughter and Husband traveled to Stockholm From Calgary. Their route was AC - YYC-Fra then Lufthansa FRA to ARN. When they arrived at ARN they were informed that their luggage did not make it which is disappointing since they flew business class. It has now been 3 days with no luggage and I know from past experience that it is the last airline you flew is who you deal with but Lufthansa just tells them it is still with AC. My question is are they due compensation for purchases? I suspect the EU rules don't apply since the flight originated in Canada.
As far as I know, any claim for reimbursement of needed items goes to LH. This happened to us a couple of years ago and LH paid our claim with no issues. I don’t recall if there was a max value for the claim, but LH might be able to tell you.

Edit to add: https://www.lufthansa.com/ca/en/passenger-rights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.