Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I'm about to fly domestic business class for first (and maybe last) time ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm about to fly domestic business class for first (and maybe last) time ever!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
So during the flight itself... the SD was amazingly friendly and awesome I don't know if it's better service because he's a cool cat or because I'm comparing it to what I typically get in economy class :P

Oh but during bag drop as I approached the priority line, the lady was like "this line is for our priority customers only" while giving me an indignant look
All too common on the priority lines. Were you not aware that flying J requires a suit? Next time I get it I might actually just go with "Yes I know".

I'm lucky to notice who the SD is on domestic J tbh. Maybe this is following their recent showings where the SD has been personally welcoming everyone and thanking them at the end on the intl. routes.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
So during the flight itself... the SD was amazingly friendly and awesome I don't know if it's better service because he's a cool cat or because I'm comparing it to what I typically get in economy class :P
That's great to hear!

Oh but during bag drop as I approached the priority line, the lady was like "this line is for our priority customers only" while giving me an indignant look

Unfortunately there are employees that are like that. I find if I carry myself with a "I am supposed to be here" (but not in a cocky way) type attitude, I stopped getting those comments. That and I'm older than I used to be.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's because you're not a 35-55 year old man in a suit.

Originally Posted by jc94
All too common on the priority lines. Were you not aware that flying J requires a suit? Next time I get it I might actually just go with "Yes I know".
I'm going with "I'm Aeroplan" if they're rude.

"Are you priority?" gets "I'm Super Elite"
"This line isn't for you" gets me angry
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's because you're not a 35-55 year old man in a suit.
Funny, I've never been questioned, and have never worn a suit on an airplane. My wife has never been questioned, and she doesn't fit your criteria either. I once entered the priority line with shaggy hair, unkempt appearance, untucked, ill-fitting t-shirt and one sneaker lace untied (ie: dressed as your typical EYW star), and yet nobody challenged my presence.

I wonder what might be the issue?

What...could...it...be...?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I don't know what they say to me as I pass because I am not a man in a suit either, but I can't hear them. However nobody physically stops me. End of the day, a verbal challenge isn't sticks and stones. If you know you are in the right line, who cares what they say?

Had a funny time checking in at PVG because the desk had not opened and a queue had formed and these people who looked like farmers with random containers covered in packing tape for suitcases were lined up in the priority line and did not understand who it was for or the pantomiming of the Altitude card (they responded by showing their Canadian PR cards and pointing at the maple leaf). Anyway, when AC staff arrived, an officious agent went down the line barking at the Chinese people in the wrong line (such as the farmers) and redirecting them to the other line, but did not redirect any blonde Euro-looking types, although they did end up discovering they were in the wrong line and have to relocate later, ending up behind the farmers in the tangerine line.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
This is somewhat airline specific. Same demeanor, same hair style, same dress, other NA airlines no attitude like this in my experience. The others (inefficiently?) wait for pax to present credentials and then reject after wasting a few extra seconds. Personally, I prefer this approach. It both satisfies the requirement to enforce standards and does so in a manner other pax can see, and keeps it classy and polite.

It's a defensive posture I think permeating from the top, ready to battle every person who approaches the counter even before they present credentials or speak their request. But really, the CSR should probably wait until the customer makes the request before rejecting it. =)
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Funny, I've never been questioned, and have never worn a suit on an airplane. My wife has never been questioned, and she doesn't fit your criteria either. I once entered the priority line with shaggy hair, unkempt appearance, untucked, ill-fitting t-shirt and one sneaker lace untied (ie: dressed as your typical EYW star), and yet nobody challenged my presence.

I wore a "zone 5" shirt with ketchup stains on it and wasn't questioned once.

In fact, I think agents should ask more frequently. How many idiots are getting into line when they are not supposed to be? It's like people can't hear and comprehend "we are now boarding zone XXX"

It's more the "how" part that should be fixed. Less "are you supposed to be in this line" more "may I see your boarding pass please sir/madam"
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

I have the same issue also...
But mostly with check-in agents, boarding tends to have issue.
However, I think all of my issues are YYZ only, never any in YUL or YVR. I mean I dont wear a tux or anything but I almost always wear a polo shirt

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I wore a "zone 5" shirt with ketchup stains on it and wasn't questioned once.

In fact, I think agents should ask more frequently. How many idiots are getting into line when they are not supposed to be? It's like people can't hear and comprehend "we are now boarding zone XXX"

It's more the "how" part that should be fixed. Less "are you supposed to be in this line" more "may I see your boarding pass please sir/madam"
Agree
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:17 am

Time for a new line in AC t-shirts with ones status splashed across?

Including "Supre Elite" or course.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I never knew. Hence you win my award of amazing awe. Thank you!!!!!!

And as an aside, NYC and the environs is considered to have one of the worst bed bug infestations in the USA.
Due to a majority of NYC hotels having issues with bedbugs, it is likely that some of the pax will be carrying the beasties back with them on their flights originating in NYC. As you sit back and relax, that little itching sensation could be nothing or it could be a blood sucking bed bug getting ready to ingest some blood to allow it to breed and to spread the infestation. Please enjoy your flight .
I hope this is a joke, not fear mongering. I fly to NYC 2x a month. No problems.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by pewpew
I'm torn between finding this funny and telling you to stop picking on Jack
We have to pick on Jack. It's a given.

he's flown on what, maybe 20 AC flights max in his lifetime and acts like he's SE x 10 years?

We should probably start calling him Gabor instead of Jack cuz he seems to know all and be our best representative.

(All in fun Jack)
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I hope this is a joke, not fear mongering. I fly to NYC 2x a month. No problems.
It's not a joke, well the part about NYC being infested is not. But then the chance of issues will greatly depend upon the hotels you stay in.

The chances of those bugs surviving on flights I think is less likely. Though I've read reports of it happening before (not on AC).
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jazzsax

he's flown on what, maybe 20 AC flights max in his lifetime and acts like he's SE x 10 years?

We should probably start calling him Gabor instead of Jack cuz he seems to know all and be our best representative.

(All in fun Jack)
None taken
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Both?

When I was 25 and had status, I got this occasionally as well.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jazzsax

(All in fun Jack)
Now that you've pointed this out, what fun is it now to pick on Jia9? It was so much fun doing it for sport, but now that it has been so scientifically dissected, I guess it's time to move on to other games here. [insert emoji mimicking the crying masses like when after Kim Jong Il died]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.