Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I'm about to fly domestic business class for first (and maybe last) time ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm about to fly domestic business class for first (and maybe last) time ever!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Oh the fun of mentally preparing for a new experience: Conjuring up images of checking in 3 bags of cement, watching the priority tags get slapped on, looking over from the priority security line at the other line snaking back 300m, turning right after security to the secret elevator while everyone else ignorantly walks by, taking a shower after dragging cement around and dropping a duece, pouring every type of booze into a megamix and sneaking it in to the business centre, colour printing random kittens-of-the-internet while drinking and eating everything one can find, shredding what was just printed, stuffing one of every free magazine into carryon, especially the best like Zoomer and En Route... I could go on.

But you carry the baggage of your consumption. Is this the "most of your experience?"

I feel to make the most of your experience, just relax. Enjoy your freedom to consume, or not. Your ticket is an option to fly, your lounge access is an option to drink, not a requirement to. Smile. Soak it in. Try not to think too much. Don't make it a "job" to police the hired help, or to max out your "eat". I guess, try to own the experience rather than it owning you.
That was very well written I guess it shows the folly of "costing them as much as possible" vs "enjoying as much as possible".... I'm Asian :P

As for future domestic business class... it's still hard for me to see it. The main advantage for me in my opinion are the lie flat seats for overnight flights to get sleep on. It'd be hard to justify the X times price premium even if I eventually had a lot of money. For international flights it could happen
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
That was very well written I guess it shows the folly of "costing them as much as possible" vs "enjoying as much as possible".... I'm Asian :P

As for future domestic business class... it's still hard for me to see it. The main advantage for me in my opinion are the lie flat seats for overnight flights to get sleep on. It'd be hard to justify the X times price premium even if I eventually had a lot of money. For international flights it could happen
Part 1: Well, I would pay the current Transcon price on UA and JetBlue so at times the transcon biz class can be worth it, just not on AC.
I can still afford(for now) the new PE seat price which were recently doubled on YYZ-YVR

Part 2: Yep, indeed, this august is last time I am going to flying in AC Y on their TPAC routes(never again)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
My first business class flight ever (I'm a student!) and possibly my last domestic one (I can't imagine flying business class for domestic).
I had the same thought when I was a student and got an op-uped to J on a A340 for a TPAC flight.

I studied hard. Got a job that allows me to travel for both work and leisure, and now have lost track of the number times I've flown I'm J.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Many of us on here, probably the majority, don't pay J fares to fly in J. For me, it's typically with upgrades I earn from flying and redeeming miles for travel where the premium to fly J is well worth it IMO, as well as the occasional operational upgrade.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat

If it's other people's money (OPM) or such a minor fraction of your cash flow that you just want problems to melt away. I've found flying paid F on carriers gets you better than concierge level problem solving when dumb things happen. Also it's nice to be met at the gate with carts, transfer assistance, massages, etc... This all allows you to focus better on your decision making requirements of your employment.

For me it's almost entirely my money. I mean it's OPM but the expense of travel comes out of my income.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I can still afford(for now) the new PE seat price which were recently doubled on YYZ-YVR
I didn't realize AC offered PE on domestic flights... I learn so much everyday! ^
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I didn't realize AC offered PE on domestic flights... I learn so much everyday! ^
Well you certainly have learnt so much!

Now you know the difference between PE Class and PE Seats
If I wanted to simply say PE Class I would refer to it as PEor PY, but I only meant the seats in the PE Class which are in fact for sale(And such cost also recently was doubled)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Well you certainly have learnt so much!

Now you know the difference between PE Class and PE Seats
If I wanted to simply say PE Class I would refer to it as PEor PY, but I only meant the seats in the PE Class which are in fact for sale(And such cost also recently was doubled)
PE class = O/E/N. Didn't know they sold that on domestic flights! That's pretty cool. ^
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:09 pm

PE class = O/E/N. Didn't know they sold that on domestic flights! That's pretty cool. ^
Again, I dont know if you had actually read my reply
1. They are PE seats being sold as Perfered Seat, if I wanted to say PE Class, I would have said. I can still afford PE...blah blah blah
2. There is no PE Class, correct, but there are PE seats are available for you to purchase on NA

Once again, I am refereing to PE seats , not the class itself. (We have however deviated away from the topic at hand enough)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I'm torn between finding this funny and telling you to stop picking on Jack
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pewpew
I'm torn between finding this funny and telling you to stop picking on Jack
The OP should advise which flight number so that we can tell them the food they will be served in J.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about as my question was genuine.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the YYZ transborder lounge now waiting for my flight at 7:15 (or 7:30)... I'm excited, but mostly because I have a shiny new work permit to the US
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I hope I can board my flight... I might be drunk. Had more than 2 shots in the lounge so far.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

So during the flight itself... the SD was amazingly friendly and awesome I don't know if it's better service because he's a cool cat or because I'm comparing it to what I typically get in economy class :P

Oh but during bag drop as I approached the priority line, the lady was like "this line is for our priority customers only" while giving me an indignant look
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
One SD on that route I used to get daily for a while there, Dominic (I think the spelling), was very awesome. Actually, I kinda forget which route now... it was YYZ-LGA or YUL-LGA, or I dunno... too many commutes to remember years ago. I do remember he always flew with different cabin crews though, as he was a trainer as well.

And a "shot" in MLL is 1oz or 1 1/4oz, depends on which shotnozzle they decide to put on which bottle. Not really sure what the point of the nozzle is, but I guess it limits the pour? Or makes theft of the whole bottle more difficult? YVR DOM is still "free pour", YUL INT as well... any others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.