Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any chance of being bumped to business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

I'm traveling on AC soon and my company is paying for my coach class ticket. My hubby is jointing me on the same flight but we're getting his ticket separately. The most effective way to get his ticket was to redeem Aeroplan miles for a business class seat.

Is there any chance of me getting bumped to business if we come in early and say that we're traveling together, assuming there is space and all? I hear that dressing nicely might help, but is there anything else I can do?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:00 am

Lol .... Nope.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by martzipan
I'm traveling on AC soon and my company is paying for my coach class ticket. My hubby is jointing me on the same flight but we're getting his ticket separately. The most effective way to get his ticket was to redeem Aeroplan miles for a business class seat.

Is there any chance of me getting bumped to business if we come in early and say that we're traveling together, assuming there is space and all? I hear that dressing nicely might help, but is there anything else I can do?
Bring chocolates for the flight crew.

I mean, it won't work, but it's never a bad idea to be nice to people.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat

I suspect you'll find it difficult to obtain an upgrade this way as complimentary upgrades are supposed to be given to those holding Altitude status first and Air Canada has gone to lengths to automate this process. One thing you can do is call reservations and ask them to "link" the itineraries together, which as I understand, means a note will be added to each itinerary stating that you're flying together.

You might be given the opportunity to purchase a "Last minute upgrade" at time of checkin (24 hours prior to flying) at a price commensurate with the distance of your flight if there is space available on your flight(s). http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...stminutes.html

To monitor space, you can go to www.aircanada.com and go through the motion of booking the same flight(s) you're flying on, and see if they're still selling Business tickets. If they're still selling business tickets, it means there is still space and you'll likely be able to purchase the upgrade at time of checkin (24 hours prior to flying).

With respect to dressing well, I'd say it never hurts and can make the whole flying experience more enjoyable, however, I'd suggest wearing clothes you're most comfortable in, and remember that wearing metal can really make your security experience more troublesome.

One thing to note is, if you're not able to upgrade your ticket, you could try asking very politely whomever is sitting near your hubby and see if they might be willing to switch. But this involves a lot of persuasive abilities.

Bonne chance!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver

If the flight is overbooked in economy, and if there is still space in business , and if you have altitude status, then you may get bumped to business.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

I see, well, that's ok maybe I'll sucker him into giving up his seat instead so we can suffer together
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AC S100K
The chances are only slightly greater than nil. Computer algorithms tend to make such decisions these days, so charm is unlikely to impress. Encouraging your husband to switch seats, however, is a different matter...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
if you're not able to upgrade your ticket, you could try asking very politely whomever is sitting near your hubby and see if they might be willing to switch. But this involves a lot of persuasive abilities.

Bonne chance!
UH?

If someone asked me to switch my J seat for a Y seat so that they could sit near their spouse I'd be like... Oh hell no!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I see, well, that's ok maybe I'll sucker him into giving up his seat instead so we can suffer together
I don't understand this suffering together thing.

If one person can benefit then they should.

One of you should sit up front and enjoy. ask the service director if you can trade Seats with your husband half way through the flight.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
UH?

If someone asked me to switch my J seat for a Y seat so that they could sit near their spouse I'd be like... Oh hell no!
I once asked someone to switch a J seat for a J seat, and they were a no, so I can't imagine someone switching a J seat for a Y seat.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I once asked someone to switch a J seat for a J seat, and they were a no, so I can't imagine someone switching a J seat for a Y seat.
I have done it. I wasn't asked to. I just noticed that the husband of the woman beside me was heading to the back. I asked them if they wanted to switch.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I don't understand this suffering together thing.

If one person can benefit then they should.

One of you should sit up front and enjoy. ask the service director if you can trade Seats with your husband half way through the flight.
I was kidding

It's a return flight so perhaps we'll just switch seats on the way home.

I'm not a frequent flyer really so if my questions make me look like a noob it's because I am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
I have done it. I wasn't asked to. I just noticed that the husband of the woman beside me was heading to the back. I asked them if they wanted to switch.
^
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Op, you haven't given much information. If you do not have Star Alliance status, you will be able to enjoy the benefits that come with your husband's ticket. You can both go to priority check-in. You will probably be able to use the priority line at security. He can guest you in to the Maple Leaf Lounge. You will be able to board in Zone 1, with your husband.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Op, you haven't given much information. If you do not have Star Alliance status, you will be able to enjoy the benefits that come with your husband's ticket. You can both go to priority check-in. You will probably be able to use the priority line at security. He can guest you in to the Maple Leaf Lounge. You will be able to board in Zone 1, with your husband.
I got no status, but my Amex gives my fast lane at security and Priority pass for lounges, so those benefits overlap (actually, I don't think J tickets get fast track security at YYZ at all). But maybe we can check out the MLL this time for a change, to compare

Either way, I'm excited for the trip and it's a day off here in Toronto but it's raining, and so instead of going outside I'm here musing poetical.

Have a great loong weekend, all my Canadian and American ff friends!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.