Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to premium economy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade to premium economy

Flying to Europe for the first time in years and noticed the premium economy cabins. How much is a typical check in upgrade cost these days?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by mbingley
Flying to Europe for the first time in years and noticed the premium economy cabins. How much is a typical check in upgrade cost these days?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-here-160.html
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
You can often buy PE for about the same price as Flex when you book.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Never been worth it... ever...

ESP if you book in advance.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Never been worth it... ever...

ESP if you book in advance.
What do you mean by that? Never, ever worth it to fly Premium Economy? We purchased it for YVR > ICN return as we wonder to Vietnam. I figured the extra room and 2 - 3 -2 set up would be great for that long leg? I guess we will find out. I'm actually looking forward to it.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
What do you mean by that? Never, ever worth it to fly Premium Economy? We purchased it for YVR > ICN return as we wonder to Vietnam. I figured the extra room and 2 - 3 -2 set up would be great for that long leg? I guess we will find out. I'm actually looking forward to it.
^ It's worth it for overseas. The difference is often a couple $100, and I can't imagine not jumping for it just for the seat alone.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Jack only buys tango. Nothing better is worth it is his opinion.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I think it's worth it if it's an advanced purchase for EU routes as oppose to a LMU. Almost all of the time you are just better off buying it at the time of purchase as long as you don't buy ticket last minute.

For TPAC , I don't find AC's PY prices or product appealing at all(probably have to wait for west jet to fix that). I spent enough time in those seats to come to my personal conclusion that they are not wroth $400 more than tango on TPAC or $250 more on EU routes.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jun 27, 2016 at 8:32 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I got PY for about $20 more than Flex PVG-YYZ and slept from Japan to Manitoba. Well worth it to me.
(PS Tango was sold out so didn't have to make that decision.)
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I got PY for about $20 more than Flex PVG-YYZ and slept from Japan to Manitoba. Well worth it to me.
(PS Tango was sold out so didn't have to make that decision.)
In that case, it was an obvious one to make ^
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Leaving Canada it's often cheaper, $$. Coming back, especially from LHR is another story due to additional taxes.

Of course, there's also the chance that an LMU might not be available esp. if you are travelling during the summer.

PY is similar to Rouge Plus if you prefer to fly to Gatwick, though I'm not sure if your local Canadian airport will go there, but it's generally pretty cheap and they actually have a better train connection ... depending upon your final destination.

For random dates, YYZ->LGW is $1400 in Y and $1800 in PY. To LHR it's $1200 in Y and $2250 in PY.

Disclaimer: I've never flown YYZ->LGW on Air Canada Rouge. It could suck.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
PY is similar to Rouge Plus
No. rouge Plus is a preferred seat.

Premium rouge is equivalent to mainline's PY.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No. rouge Plus is a preferred seat.

Premium rouge is equivalent to mainline's PY.
My apologies. So Air Canada does a PY Premium Rouge option to Gatwick, which is $425 cheaper than mainline PY. At least on the random dates I picked from YYZ.

So which is the better product? Premium Rouge or Mainline PY?

While I don't want to derail this thread too much, although I do feel this is valid for giving the Op an informed alternative, but Premium Rouge (PR) seems better:

2x32kg bags over 2x23kg
lounge access included, instead of +$25
priority boarding (Z1>Z2) and security
clear priority access to washrooms
a non-banana bread breakfast?

With a similar seat but 2-2-2 instead of 2-3-2/2-4-2. The only potential bad I can see if an iPad over a screen; and that being "bad" is certainly open to debate. And it not being the 787 with a much better cabin pressure, but not all LHR flights are on those yet.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My apologies. So Air Canada does a PY Premium Rouge option to Gatwick, which is $425 cheaper than mainline PY. At least on the random dates I picked from YYZ.

So which is the better product? Premium Rouge or Mainline PY?

While I don't want to derail this thread too much, although I do feel this is valid for giving the Op an informed alternative, but Premium Rouge (PR) seems better:

2x32kg bags over 2x23kg
lounge access included, instead of +$25
priority boarding (Z1>Z2) and security
clear priority access to washrooms
a non-banana bread breakfast?
You're confusing North American Premium rouge (business class) with international Premium rouge (premium economy).

The baggage, lounge (no access), boarding (zone 2), and food are all the same between the two.

You are correct that it's "clear" access to lavatories on rouge, but that's only because you're on the front-most cabin.

With a similar seat but 2-2-2 instead of 2-3-2/2-4-2. The only potential bad I can see if an iPad over a screen; and that being "bad" is certainly open to debate. And it not being the 787 with a much better cabin pressure, but not all LHR flights are on those yet.
rouge flies 767s, which are narrower (hence why they can only fit 6 across instead of 7 or 8)

The 787 PY seats are better in every dimension (pitch/width/recline) than the rouge 767 seats.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:59 pm

Yes but the Op is interested about international no?

Same with Z2, may as well be Z1 unless they reserve that for SE flying rouge. I see this being a small number. The lounge I see has the standard intl exclusion though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.