Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada pilot fatigue rules to start in 2018 for large carriers -union

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry

http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine.../idCAKCN0Z82A6

Canada pilot fatigue rules to start in 2018 for large carriers - union

MONTREAL (Reuters) - Proposed Canadian rules to ensure commercial pilots get enough rest would go into effect in 2018 for WestJet Airlines Ltd WJA.TO and Air Canada AC.TO but apply to smaller carriers only in 2021, the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) said late on Tuesday.

The new regulations would reduce pilots' working day from up to a 14 hour shift to a period of nine to 13 hours, depending on the time they start and number of flights they make while on duty, Dan Adamus, president of ALPA's Canadian board said in an interview.
==//more//==
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I love the logic. The issue is deemed serious enough to warrant a change, yet the change is delayed for 2 years. Is there a special potion that the pilots will consume to keep them alert during these 2 years? Even more shameful is the pass the smaller airlines will get. Sorry, but its those airlines I would be more worried about.

This is where ALPA drops the ball. It's been on the agenda for several years. It's not as if the airlines were unaware. ALPA never ever make a case to the public using terms the public will understand. If the flying public was aware of the risk of sleep deprivation, they might be agitating for an even lower limit.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If the rule goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2018, then it's less than two years, which is what FAA gave US carriers to implement new pilot duty hours.

Let's hope that AC and WJ don't wait to staff up and work out their new crew schedules like the US carriers did, with predictable, and preventable delays in 2013 as a result.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Is there a special potion that the pilots will consume to keep them alert during these 2 years? Even more shameful is the pass the smaller airlines will get. Sorry, but its those airlines I would be more worried about.

This is where ALPA drops the ball. It's been on the agenda for several years. It's not as if the airlines were unaware. ALPA never ever make a case to the public using terms the public will understand. If the flying public was aware of the risk of sleep deprivation, they might be agitating for an even lower limit.
The magic potion is caffeine.
A 13 hour duty day would put an end to some of the same day trans-con turns that are currently done. Some of the membership won't be happy about that.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:22 am

ACPA: Flying Too Close to the Edge

Canadian Flight and Duty Times - The Urgent Need for Change (link)

http://acpa.ca/Media/ACPA/Documents/...y-May-2016.pdf
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tracon
The magic potion is caffeine.
A 13 hour duty day would put an end to some of the same day trans-con turns that are currently done. Some of the membership won't be happy about that.
That's what I was wondering.

Why does AC care if you have to come in for three 8 hour shifts instead of two 12 hour shifts?

It's the pilots who are going to have to spend more time away from home.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's what I was wondering.

Why does AC care if you have to come in for three 8 hour shifts instead of two 12 hour shifts?

It can (and will) add to accommodation and meal costs. If I can book a pilot A-B-A, then I don't have to pay for a hotel and dinner/breakfast for 2 crew members.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by rehoult
It can (and will) add to accommodation and meal costs. If I can book a pilot A-B-A, then I don't have to pay for a hotel and dinner/breakfast for 2 crew members.
And this probably will be airlines' excuse for rising fares.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Many crews would rather work 8 12 hour days than 12 8 hour days.

At the major airline level the new rules are being implemented to protect employees from themselves.

At the bottom end of the aviation ladder, the new rules will help protect underpaid employees from their underfunded employers.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:57 pm

Not even the ACPA presentation mentions that Air Canada pilots are governed by much more conservative rules than mentioned here
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Not even the ACPA presentation mentions that Air Canada pilots are governed by much more conservative rules than mentioned here
Not entirely true for mainline.

And not true whatsoever for ACPA pilots that fly in the service of rouge.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:45 am

It's quite shameful really that the Minister of Transport has failed to act on this. A two year wait to fix the antiquated duty time rules in Canada is simply not acceptable. Fatigue is a significant issue at a lot of airlines, especially the one I work at where we don't have a union.

Pilots are allowed to be scheduled 14 hour days and are often expected to extend to 17 hours due to an unforeseen event. Not to mention that duty time rules don't even exist for flight attendants. (At least the non unionized ones). Air Georgian flying as Air Canada Express has been known to force FAs to 20 hours of duty!

The FAA model is what I prefer for us to adopt here in Canada. If their airlines can operate with FARs 117 and still be profitable, there is no reason our airlines cannot do the same.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by tracon
Many crews would rather work 8 12 hour days than 12 8 hour days.
The solution is to hire those willing to work closer to a normal work hour day.

Working back to back 12 hours a day, is not productive for the human body.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:53 am

Since Rouge is on a different AOC than mainline I assume the rules won't apply to them until 2021.

What a farce it is - in what world is Sunwing (37 B737-800 last year), Air Transat (32 A310/A330/B737), or AC Jazz (126 DH8/CRJ) too small to be able to adapt by 2018.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
this is just job/union padding!
UGH, pilots just work 1 hr when a flight takes off and 1/2 hr when it lands, lots of rest time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.