FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Is this Normal Procedure? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1772549-normal-procedure.html)

RN29 Jun 16, 2016 6:54 am

Is this Normal Procedure?

Missed my fight from Yyz to ORD this morning at 630 (J class). Was in Pearson at AC Priority Check and Talking to agent. She indicted that because I missed the flight, the booking was removed from her view and she couldn't move me to the 8 am. I would have to stand in the cashier line (which had 10 people in it) and wait.

Of course I missed the 8 am and had to go with United

In know I could have called in, paid the 200 change fee and avoided this but am I crazy to think the agent at the desk should be able to execute this as opposed to sending me to the cashier line?

Is there something else I should have done (besides not being a bonehead and miss my original flight?)

ansix12 Jun 16, 2016 7:23 am

Last time I missed my flight from YHZ to YYZ, the agent at priority check in had no problem moving me to the next available flight.

yyz_atc_qq Jun 16, 2016 7:43 am

Why did you miss the flight? The reason makes a difference

The Lev Jun 16, 2016 8:16 am

Consider yourself lucky that they didn't just cancel your reservation entirely and tell you to buy a new ticket at what ever ridiculous price they charge for same-day walk up.

Absolute Jun 16, 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq (Post 26786889)

The timing does too; did you reach the check-in counter after your original flight had departed, or after the check-in cutoff?

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 26787064)
Consider yourself lucky that they didn't just cancel your reservation entirely and tell you to buy a new ticket at what ever ridiculous price they charge for same-day walk up.

I think you're very lucky as well, as depending on the time you reached the counter, you may have been considered a no-show. It sounds like a reasonable request to me.

RN29 Jun 16, 2016 2:51 pm

To reply to the above questions

Plane departure 630 am
Boarding time was 605

I had checkin in the night before and had my boarding pass on my phone.

I was at Pearson at 545. Even with GE, there was no way I was going to make it past security and Customs in that window.

As others pointed out, I guess I should see it as lucky they didn't just force me to buy a new ticket.

ansix12 Jun 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Lamest reason of all. Click on an earlier fl

ansix12 Jun 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Lamest reason of all. Clicked on an earlier flight than intended when booking online. Didn't check the confirmation either. Show up at after flight departed. Agent simply put me on next flight.

canadiancow Jun 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by RN29 (Post 26788997)
To reply to the above questions

Plane departure 630 am
Boarding time was 605

I was at Pearson at 545. Even with GE, there was no way I was going to make it past security and Customs in that window.

As others pointed out, I guess I should see it as lucky they didn't just force me to buy a new ticket.

I have done curb to transborder gate at YYZ in 12 minutes. With GE, I'm actually not sure you would have had a problem making that flight.

However, this isn't really relevant to the issue. I don't understand why they couldn't get you on an earlier flight.

YXUhomebase Jun 16, 2016 6:40 pm

I have often done a transborder connection in 15 minutes or less, going though GE and nexus in security of you were there at 5.45 I think you could very well have made the flight. I would suggest at least try it next time and worse case is you get to gate after boarding is complete and you go to service desk or lounge to get on next flight.

canopus27 Jun 16, 2016 6:48 pm

I'm with the cow ... I think you could have made it.

The "boarding time" is not relevant, that's when they start boarding ... the key is when they close the doors. I'm assuming you were on AC501; from EF:

AC0501/16JUN EQU ACAE90B01
Scheduled: 06/16/16 6:35 AM
Estimated: 06/16/16 6:40 AM
Actual: 06/16/16 6:40 AM

In other words, you could probably have got to the gate by 6:25 and still made it onboard. Especially with GE, that's eminently doable if you're at the airport by 5:45 ... and worst case, now you're inside the terminal, and you can ask the gate agents to move you to the next flight.

I'm not trying to criticize any decisions you made this morning, I'm sure it was all frustrating for you ... but for next time, don't stop to ask anyone, simply get to the gate as fast as possible - and if necessary, deal with the consequences from there.

Adam Smith Jun 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by RN29 (Post 26788997)
Plane departure 630 am
Boarding time was 605

I was at Pearson at 545. Even with GE, there was no way I was going to make it past security and Customs in that window..

Not wanting to pile on, but for future reference, I'm with cow and canopus. With GE, should be no problem to make that flight with arrival at the airport at 5:45.

I'm pretty sure I've left my hotel room at the T3 Sheraton at 5:45, checked out, waited for the train to T1, etc and made the 6:30AM to LGA in time for priority boarding.