Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread was originally started regarding the re-configuration and re-designation of Air Canada's legacy CRAs to CR9s. That project was completed in early 2018.

AC currently has five CR9s that were previously owned by SkyWest and in service with Delta. These are (fin/registration):
  • 780 / C-FIJZ
  • 781 / C-FJZN
  • 782 / C-FOJZ
  • 783 / C-FRJA
  • 784 / C-GJAN

These aircraft are still configured with the Delta interiors, have no IFE, and may or may not have working WiFi. AC has not published any details regarding the re-configuration of these aircraft to match the existing CR9 fleet.
Print Wikipost

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Are the hot meals aligned to what you find on mainline, or totally different catering/menus?
The choice was chicken thigh with rice/veg or spinach lasagna. I should have taken a pic of the menu. Seemed similar to a shorter domestic mainline flight like YYZ-YWG. I had the lasagna and was surprised at the size of the portion (it was bigger than expected).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:35 pm

Is this conversion complete? Does anyone have any photos of the "new" cabin interiors?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by legameflyer
Is this conversion complete? Does anyone have any photos of the "new" cabin interiors?
All of the CRAs have been converted. I don't think anyone has bothered with photos because there's not much to show. The area that used to be occupied by 1A is now a larger closet, used mainly to store J roll-aboards. There's an extra row to J and Y has been rearranged to create preferred seats and regular seats. The AC website has the seat map.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Wish they would have updated the IFE on these along with the conversion. After the 330s are refurbished, the 7M8s replace the Airbus 32x family, won't the CRAs and E75s be the only planes in the fleet with legacy IFE?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I wish someone would tell the Jazz SDs how to properly fit bags in the closet. I'm tired of them saying it's full after a bunch of bags have been put in standing up, perpendicular to the plane, which is the most inefficient way of putting them in. Putting them in properly increases the capacity by about 50% or more.

Originally Posted by yvr76
Wish they would have updated the IFE on these along with the conversion. After the 330s are refurbished, the 7M8s replace the Airbus 32x family, won't the CRAs and E75s be the only planes in the fleet with legacy IFE?
Yes, but it could be quite a while before all of the 320 family planes are gone, and they also just re-configured and purchased more E75s, so we could have two different IFE types for quite some time.
gcashin likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Don't blame the person. Blame the airline and their cheap new narrow seats. If you don't, you're just playing into their game!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Over the past few years my wife and I have frequently been op-upped on this plane flying between YOW-YWG. These changes will probably make this much more common. Very few elites flying this route direct, especially on Saturdays.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcamp028
Don't blame the person. Blame the airline and their cheap new narrow seats. If you don't, you're just playing into their game!
Was this post meant for the 737 thread? There haven't been any changes to seat width in the CRA/CR9 fleet.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by djkyyc
If I recall correctly the seats behind the exit row are only 31”. 12D & F are now the best seats in economy. 12A is no longer so great as your tray mounts to the wall taking away leg space (it has to be pulled out and attached) and you now have 12C beside you.
I’m off on this bird tomorrow as well.
So, on the AC CR9 (JAZZ), what about 12C? It appears there is great legroom due to the J cabin having only 1 seat in front, leaving no seat directly in front of 12C.

Also, of the two exit rows, does the rear exit row also not recline?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:34 pm

What are the best seats for a couple in business on a Jazz CR9? 1D/F? Any D/F but not 1? Actually an A/D?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BernardBlack
What are the best seats for a couple in business on a Jazz CR9? 1D/F? Any D/F but not 1? Actually an A/D?
Depends what you like. I like the A side since it gives you both aisle and window and I don't mind my wife and I sitting one in front of the other.

But if you want to sit next to each other and cuddle or chat, you want a DF pair. Like bulkheads? 1DF. Don't like bulkheads? 2, 3 or 4 DF.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Depends what you like. I like the A side since it gives you both aisle and window and I don't mind my wife and I sitting one in front of the other.

But if you want to sit next to each other and cuddle or chat, you want a DF pair. Like bulkheads? 1DF. Don't like bulkheads? 2, 3 or 4 DF.
Carry on also factors into this equation. The bins on the CRA are small and only on the starboard side of the plane. If you have much, in the way of carry on, and you want access to your bag during flight, you may need to put it under the seat in front of you. If you don't need access, the FAs are usually (always?) very good about letting J passengers use the closet for carry on.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
Seat Selection On CR9

Hi All

We have an upcoming flight from YYC to SFO on AC on the CR9 and have been seated in 14A and 14C. These were assigned to us by AC as we were bumped from another flight which was cancelled and had already selected 'Preferred Seats'. I notice that exit row seats are also available.

Being 6' 2" and having never flown this type of aircraft is there much advantage in switching seats? Seatguru isn't much help as it doesn't seem to have the most up to date plan.

Cheers
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE
The aisle exit row seats on the CR9 are fine, but the window seats have a very short/low seat pan, which can be very uncomfortable for someone with long legs. 14 A/C have good legroom without the downsides of the exit row, so I'd stick with what you've got.
arf04 and Diabeetus like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Now also flying YYC-YEG-YYC once a day -- I am upgraded tomorrow YYC-YEG (2 credits--regrettably I have lots to burn!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.