Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread was originally started regarding the re-configuration and re-designation of Air Canada's legacy CRAs to CR9s. That project was completed in early 2018.

AC currently has five CR9s that were previously owned by SkyWest and in service with Delta. These are (fin/registration):
  • 780 / C-FIJZ
  • 781 / C-FJZN
  • 782 / C-FOJZ
  • 783 / C-FRJA
  • 784 / C-GJAN

These aircraft are still configured with the Delta interiors, have no IFE, and may or may not have working WiFi. AC has not published any details regarding the re-configuration of these aircraft to match the existing CR9 fleet.
Print Wikipost

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I don't get why YEG-YWG gets the crj while YYC-YWG gets the CRA.

I just flew a CRJ this morning and even in row 1 It's not a comfortable bird to be in.
Because it's Edmonton/Winnipeg. Most business traffic is government, so no J sales.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
AC also does it on the CRJ. They don't do it on the CRA.
Yes, and they do it on the DH4s between YTZ and YUL too (among other places, but that one I remember for certain), so it's not like they're unaware of the concept.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Because it's Edmonton/Winnipeg. Most business traffic is government, so no J sales.
And EYW
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No space for suit jackets in the closet this morning on 8102 because it's full of the J roll-aboards that don't fit in the pathetic excuses for overhead bins. Of course, AC could solve that by doing a proper gate check. You know, like DL and UA (and I think AA?) do on their CRJs.
Unfortunately that's pretty much the norm for any CRA flight on YYC-IAH. I don't know if I've ever seen a CRA flight where the closet wasn't crammed full of roller bags for J pax (and crew?).

I've started flying UA a lot more on that route, and it's been a nice change to have a decent size plane on UA for the 4+ hour flight. Unfortunately doesn't help with AQD if you're chasing SE status, but the lousy CRA's are one of the reasons I've given up on AC on that route.

I know other frequent travelers that avoid AC on that route for the same reason, so they're definitely losing business on that route by continuing to fly aircraft that are ill-suited. A few weeks ago, many of the IAH-YYC flights were making a fuel stop in Regina, as they sometimes can't make the full trip when headwinds are strong.

CRA's are fine on short flights if they'd deal with the overhead bin space problem by offering Skycheck, but are a poor choice for busy 4+ hour routes IMO.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:43 pm

Yes, and they do it on the DH4s between YTZ and YUL too (among other places, but that one I remember for certain), so it's not like they're unaware of the concept.
They used to have gate check on YVR-YYJ, but recently they have stopped (at least on the last half dozen flights I have taken). It is a huge hassle, even with the larger bins. I'd say that about a third of people used to gate check bags. Now it takes much more time trying to deal with the issues of perfectly legal bags which won't fit in the overheads because so many people have them. I'm happy on a 15 minute flight having my (legal) roller under the seat, but not all my seatmates are happy.

Dr. PITUK.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
C-GJZV now in YUL. In service soon?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGJZV
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:01 pm

First plane painted in the new colors.

Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Looks like one of the new CR9s is in service, C-FJZD: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFJZD/history/320

Anyone been on it? Or seen whether it's painted in the new livery?

Originally Posted by gcashin
Unfortunately that's pretty much the norm for any CRA flight on YYC-IAH. I don't know if I've ever seen a CRA flight where the closet wasn't crammed full of roller bags for J pax (and crew?).

I've started flying UA a lot more on that route, and it's been a nice change to have a decent size plane on UA for the 4+ hour flight. Unfortunately doesn't help with AQD if you're chasing SE status, but the lousy CRA's are one of the reasons I've given up on AC on that route.

I know other frequent travelers that avoid AC on that route for the same reason, so they're definitely losing business on that route by continuing to fly aircraft that are ill-suited. A few weeks ago, many of the IAH-YYC flights were making a fuel stop in Regina, as they sometimes can't make the full trip when headwinds are strong.

CRA's are fine on short flights if they'd deal with the overhead bin space problem by offering Skycheck, but are a poor choice for busy 4+ hour routes IMO.
I often see the FAs find a way to squeeze suit jackets in on the side even with the luggage in there.

Otherwise agree with everything you said. I regularly get those AC Ipsos surveys after YYC-IAH or IAH-YYC and use every one as an opportunity to tell them how much the CRAs suck. I'm also flying UA more on that route now.

Oh, one other point about the crappy overhead bins: one of my wife's friends is a Jazz FO. He flies CRA almost exclusively. He tells me that on several occasions (and he has only been there for ~2 years), people have broken overhead bins trying to get them shut with too much luggage. This creates a delay when they then need to pull the door off completely and stow it and the luggage in the cargo hold. Never heard of that happening on an E-Jet, 320, etc (neither has he).

Originally Posted by AC681
First plane painted in the new colors.
Thanks for sharing. Confirms CRAs are butt ugly in the new colours too.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:00 am

How will pax be able to "reaffirm awareness of the brand when viewing the world from the aircraft window" if they can't see the rondelle on the engine?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:12 am

Looks like one of the new CR9s is in service, C-FJZD: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFJZD/history/320

Anyone been on it? Or seen whether it's painted in the new livery?

I often see the FAs find a way to squeeze suit jackets in on the side even with the luggage in there.

Otherwise agree with everything you said. I regularly get those AC Ipsos surveys after YYC-IAH or IAH-YYC and use every one as an opportunity to tell them how much the CRAs suck. I'm also flying UA more on that route now.

Oh, one other point about the crappy overhead bins: one of my wife's friends is a Jazz FO. He flies CRA almost exclusively. He tells me that on several occasions (and he has only been there for ~2 years), people have broken overhead bins trying to get them shut with too much luggage. This creates a delay when they then need to pull the door off completely and stow it and the luggage in the cargo hold. Never heard of that happening on an E-Jet, 320, etc (neither has he).

I've broken OHBs on 705s more than a few times, espically since the original bin hinge was plastic, if maintenance didn't have a hinge assembly prebuilt, it wasn't a quick repair.

I actually *adore* the 705...sorry 900, in the new colors.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Safe to assume we're losing our 34" Y pitch on these new ones?

Flew SFO-YYC in one in February... I'd forgotten what it's like to actually be able to open your bag while still in your seat.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Safe to assume we're losing our 34" Y pitch on these new ones?
Yes. I don't think that AC has actually announced the details, but the math doesn't work any other way.

The DL CR9 layout that AC seems to be moving towards has 37" in J, 34" in preferred and 31" elsewhere.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Are any of the CR9's in service yet? Would love to see some pictures of the new interior.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Are any of the CR9's in service yet?
C-FJZD. The others still seem to be in YHZ.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I just boarded 8335 and it is my first trip on a 900. The A side bin is taller but still not much space. I think that the DF bin looks to be about the same size as an e90. I am in J. The interior is bright with light gray leather seats. It also has the new livery. There is a noticeable increase of pitch in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.