Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA re-config and re-designation - details and progress

CRA re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
All new CR9s have delivered and the existing CRAs have been re-configured and re-certified as CR9s

New-build CR9s are:
  • C-FJZD
  • C-FJZL
  • C-GJZS
  • C-GJZT
  • C-GJZV
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 17, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I don't remember the last time I took a CRA flight where there wasn't a bunch of baggage to gate check. (Yes, not an uncommon problem on other planes these days, but not quite as universal as on the CRAs, in my experience).
My last YYZ-HKG flight was delayed because of too much baggage. Everyone starts with two checked bags, come on folks, what the he'll are you bringing aboard!??!?
Old Mar 3, 17, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Anyone know when the new CR9s will start entering service? The five new planes have been sitting at YHZ for about two months now, according to FlightAware. How long does it take to install AC's interiors etc?

Seems like they would want those planes flying around and earning revenue rather than sitting on the tarmac. Is there pilot training or maintenance work of some sort required before AC can start flying them that might be holding it up?

Originally Posted by quantumofforce View Post
My last YYZ-HKG flight was delayed because of too much baggage. Everyone starts with two checked bags, come on folks, what the he'll are you bringing aboard!??!?
It can be a problem on any plane, for sure, but CRAs seem to be more prone to problems given the poor bin space.
Old Mar 3, 17, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Aeroplan, VIPorter
Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle33766016/

"Bombardier Inc. is weighing options for a new engine on its regional jets in a move that could give its commercial aircraft lineup a boost until its flagship C Series starts making money"

New engines, not bins....
Old Mar 4, 17, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It can be a problem on any plane, for sure, but CRAs seem to be more prone to problems given the poor bin space.
Completely agree - the CRA's are awful for bin space, and far more prone to running out of overhead bin space than pretty much any aircraft in the fleet in my observation (with the Q400's and E90's next in line). I'm really surprised they don't offer Skycheck, as I think it would cut down on boarding delays for these flights.
Old Mar 4, 17, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
Completely agree - the CRA's are awful for bin space, and far more prone to running out of overhead bin space than pretty much any aircraft in the fleet in my observation (with the Q400's and E90's next in line). I'm really surprised they don't offer Skycheck, as I think it would cut down on boarding delays for these flights.
The Q400s always used to have Skycheck, which a large proportion of passengers used (at least in YYJ, YVR and YKA). Without Skycheck, while the bins are a bit bigger, there are ALWAYS luggage issues. For these short flights I'm OK putting my bag under the seat, but I'd still prefer to skycheck it.

Dr. PITUK
Old Mar 5, 17, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Do we have any word on whether there might be bigger bins installed?
Old Mar 7, 17, 5:04 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Anyone know when the new CR9s will start entering service? The five new planes have been sitting at YHZ for about two months now, according to FlightAware. How long does it take to install AC's interiors etc?

Seems like they would want those planes flying around and earning revenue rather than sitting on the tarmac. Is there pilot training or maintenance work of some sort required before AC can start flying them that might be holding it up?

It is my understanding that the cabin interiors are fitted at Hangar X in Mirabel. Perhaps the time being spent at YHZ is related to STC activities, such as in-flight Wi-Fi installation and any other STCs Chorus/Jazz have for the CR9.

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Do we have any word on whether there might be bigger bins installed?
The NetGen CRJ aircraft have larger bins than the original CRJ bins, unfortunately this means there will probably be some discrepancy in terms of bins space for the same aircraft type.
Old Mar 14, 17, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Looks like AC isn't scheduling anything as CR9 for the moment. I've looked at a couple of CRA routes out of YYC and they're CRAs as far as the schedule goes. Being conservative so that they don't sell the extra seat or any preferred seats and have to refund them if there's an equipment swap?

Originally Posted by jaysona View Post
The NetGen CRJ aircraft have larger bins than the original CRJ bins, unfortunately this means there will probably be some discrepancy in terms of bins space for the same aircraft type.
Any chance of retrofitting the new bins on the old planes? I was on a couple of DL 319s the past few days that had the new Airbus pivot bins installed despite being ~15 years old.
Old Mar 19, 17, 11:54 am
Original Poster

One of the new CR9s apparently left YHZ on Friday for YQA? Seems odd, no?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...041Z/CYHZ/CYQA
Old Mar 19, 17, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
One of the new CR9s apparently left YHZ on Friday for YQA? Seems odd, no?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...041Z/CYHZ/CYQA
Friday afternoon trip to Muskoka? Perhaps one of the high-ups at Jazz taking a weekend trip to test out the new configuration?
Old Mar 19, 17, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
What are all the known CRA routes?

YYC-IAH
YYC-SFO
YYC-PHX (seasonal begins in May replaces the 319 for Rouge)
YYC-YVR (seasonal winter only)
YVR-YXY
Old Mar 19, 17, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post

YYC-IAH
YYC-SFO
YVR-YXY
YVR PHX daily year round beginning in May.
Old Mar 19, 17, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life View Post
YVR PHX daily year round beginning in May.
YYC-YWG too.
Old Mar 19, 17, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K (*S), WS Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by yxuflyboy View Post
what are all the known cra routes?

Yyc-iah
yyc-sfo
yyc-phx (seasonal begins in may replaces the 319 for rouge)
yyc-yvr (seasonal winter only)
yvr-yxy
yul-yhz
yow-yhz
Old Mar 19, 17, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post

YYC-IAH
YYC-SFO
YVR-YXY
YVR-YQR

Search this Thread