Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA re-config and re-designation - details and progress

CRA re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 26, 19, 9:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
All new CR9s have delivered and the existing CRAs have been re-configured and re-certified as CR9s

New-build CR9s are:
  • C-FJZD
  • C-FJZL
  • C-GJZS
  • C-GJZT
  • C-GJZV
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post

Fin 781 and Fin 782 which is just entering service are ex Skywest birds and still have the Skywest seats. No wifi or IFE as well.
Will they eventually be retrofitted with wifi and the regular seats with IFE?
Old Jul 29, 19, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190 View Post
Will they eventually be retrofitted with wifi and the regular seats with IFE?
I would assume after the 7M8 is back in service.

They just can't afford to take any other planes out of service right now.
YVR72 and marke190 like this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: Altitude 50K
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post

Fin 781 and Fin 782 which is just entering service are ex Skywest birds and still have the Skywest seats. No wifi or IFE as well.
Other complaints... tiny cupboard upfront - holds like two rollaboards.

The small port-side overheads are locked - on other CR9s, they are perfect for my mini laptop carrying case.

There is no curtain between J and Y so lots of traffic to the lav.

Cabin crew service was great though the menu distributed was not what was served. (Ordered ravioli, was served lasagna).
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Let's talk about the CRJ900...

I had my first experience on the "newly redesigned" CRJ900 flying YOW-YHZ, it would be an understatement to say I was disappointed.

Reasons:
1. Almost none of the seats actually line up with a window! Sucks to be an AV geek I guess...
2. They removed the seatback PTVs, I would love this new "feature" if I was flying something like YYC-IAH!
3. Divider separating J and Y has been removed also (this is probably the most minor problem).
4. A few other things I could note, but I think they are more design problems.

I think I miss the CRJ705!

Looking at above comments, I am guessing this interior is only on fins 781 and 782 perhaps?

Last edited by codfather; Aug 26, 19 at 5:30 pm
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by codfather View Post
I had my first experience on the "newly redesigned" CRJ900 flying YOW-YHZ, it would be an understatement to say I was disappointed.

Reasons:
1. Almost none of the seats actually line up with a window! Sucks to be an AV geek I guess...
2. They removed the seatback PTVs, I would love this new "feature" if I was flying something like YYC-IAH!
3. Divider separating J and Y has been removed also (this is probably the most minor problem).
4. A few other things I could note, but I think they are more design problems.

I think I miss the CRJ705!
Just a point, they didn't remove the IFE, it was never installed on the 780 series fins. These were bought from Skywest and put into service ASAP to help cover MAX flying.

The new build 900s (717-721) do have all the things missing above
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by AC681 View Post
Just a point, they didn't remove the IFE, it was never installed on the 780 series fins. These were bought from Skywest and put into service ASAP to help cover MAX flying.

The new build 900s (717-721) do have all the things missing above
Thanks for the info @AC681!

I should have guessed that! Just my luck to be on one today, but thankfully, it was a short flight.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any idea when TC is going to approve WiFi on the new birds?
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
The 76 seat configuration wasn't a technical or space limitation of the CRJ-900 (re-branded as a CRJ-705), but rather, was a limitation of the CBA they had signed with the ACPA at the time.

Once that clause is gone, the planes get reconfigured. And conditions are very favourable for a renegotiation of that clause. Hence my conjecture that the major reconfiguration would be done in such a way that a subsequent reconfiguration would merely be a quick hangar visit rather than a major reconfiguration and re-wiring event.

It's not a rebrand. The aircraft sold to Air Canada were actually certified under a different type certificate with a different certification #.
The dataplate read (past tense) CL-600-2D15 for the CRJ705 vs CL-600-2D24 for the CRJ900. The aircraft have now been re-certified as CL-600-2D24s

This is because the capacity agreement said that they couldn't fly aircraft that were certified to carry more than 75 passengers; so Bombardier made a new type designation for their deliveries, along with the transport Canada paperwork saying they could only carry 75 passengers.
Old Sep 27, 19, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on 782.

Wow.

This feels like United.
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, HH Diamond, ClubAccor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'm on 782.

Wow.