Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver Sun : Unfriendly skies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by cwwmbm
Yo guys can you take your airplane circlejerk some place where it's relevant? Let's focus on the issue here, that is - get TK to Vancouver
Relax and untwist thy knickers. Turkish will be coming to Vancouver, and we've rehashed the rehashed article. If side discussions and additional points were all taken "some place relevant", each thread on this entire forum would be no more than 8 posts in length. However, your point, in all its eloquence, has been taken.

Now...did you have anything constructive to add regarding TK & YVR, or was the taunt the extent of your contribution?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Relax and untwist thy knickers. Turkish will be coming to Vancouver, and we've rehashed the rehashed article. If side discussions and additional points were all taken "some place relevant", each thread on this entire forum would be no more than 8 posts in length. However, your point, in all its eloquence, has been taken.

Now...did you have anything constructive to add regarding TK & YVR, or was the taunt the extent of your contribution?
I don't have anything constructive to add, but I don't want to spend time weeding through a hundred "I saw a plane!" messages to get to the point of discussion. If it's only 4-5 posts - that's fine, but I'd like to read them and only them.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Several plane spotting posts have been deleted so let's please return to the thread topic.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Fair enough. I'll just say I'd be delighted if TK commenced YVR ops with a 747, and I'll leave it at that.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Fair enough. I'll just say I'd be delighted if TK commenced YVR ops with a 747, and I'll leave it at that.
You're just setting yourself up for disappointment then, aren't you? (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-ca...l-flight-fleet)

In all seriousness and keeping to the topic, I'm all for TK starting regular service with one of their 777s on the YVR-IST route - if things stay the way they are now, it would be a nice additional no-YQ option for those of us based here in YVR for using up our AE points.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Marlin240
In all seriousness and keeping to the topic, I'm all for TK starting regular service with one of their 777s on the YVR-IST route - if things stay the way they are now, it would be a nice additional no-YQ option for those of us based here in YVR for using up our AE points.
777 over the 333?

You got a thing for climbing over your fellow J passengers?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by YOWgary
777 over the 333?

My AE travels typically consist of group of 3 including myself so, no, I don't mind.

I'd be fine with the 333 too so long as TK has refitted it with the new J seats - I flew one of the "older" versions for IST-YUL and didn't like it quite as much as the 777 I took from SFO or even the newer 333 for the short hop from IST to ATH.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
777 over the 333?

For a lot of people, saving a few bucks in YQ seems to trump pretty much everything else - comfort, schedule, etc.

That's the big problem for me with TK and why I don't care whether or not they go to YVR, or even YYC. IST might be conveniently located for onward connections to some places in Asia, but for going to Europe, it's not especially practical from YYC.

LH already flies pretty much everywhere in Europe from FRA, and I can get there direct. LHR has a number of onward *A connections as well, through LH, LX, SN, etc.

And if I go outside *A, BA and KL serve most destinations from LHR/AMS respectively.

When I went to HEL for the World Juniors last year, there were routes on TK that could have gotten me there with way less YQ on AE rewards, but would have taken >30 hours instead of ~12 with AC/LH via FRA. For $500 or whatever it was, not worth it.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith
For a lot of people, saving a few bucks in YQ seems to trump pretty much everything else - comfort, schedule, etc.

That's the big problem for me with TK and why I don't care whether or not they go to YVR, or even YYC. IST might be conveniently located for onward connections to some places in Asia, but for going to Europe, it's not especially practical from YYC.

LH already flies pretty much everywhere in Europe from FRA, and I can get there direct. LHR has a number of onward *A connections as well, through LH, LX, SN, etc.

And if I go outside *A, BA and KL serve most destinations from LHR/AMS respectively.

When I went to HEL for the World Juniors last year, there were routes on TK that could have gotten me there with way less YQ on AE rewards, but would have taken >30 hours instead of ~12 with AC/LH via FRA. For $500 or whatever it was, not worth it.
Well...given that a J return TATL can consist of ~$800 each in YQ, that's a savings of $2400 for me so, yes, for me it matters. That's enough to stay another week or more. If I ever manage to get SE status then yes, of course, I'll flip over to AC but in the meantime, TK has got my vote.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Marlin240
Well...given that a J return TATL can consist of ~$800 each in YQ, that's a savings of $2400 for me so, yes, for me it matters. That's enough to stay another week or more. If I ever manage to get SE status then yes, of course, I'll flip over to AC but in the meantime, TK has got my vote.
The tickets in my example were booked before the SE YQ waiver was in place; the savings of taking 18+ extra hours on TK was about $500 per ticket.

If that works for you, great; to each his own. But my comment stands that, for me, TK is irrelevant because my time and comfort are worth more than the YQ.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
The tickets in my example were booked before the SE YQ waiver was in place; the savings of taking 18+ extra hours on TK was about $500 per ticket.

If that works for you, great; to each his own. But my comment stands that, for me, TK is irrelevant because my time and comfort are worth more than the YQ.
Yes, it's a very personal decision. I have flown TK ex YUL roundtrip twice to avoid YQ (maybe I'm just cheap). But if you follow aeroplan on Facebook, you will notice that the top voted comments to every one of their posts are complaining about a) availability on flights within NA, and b) massive fuel surcharges that almost equal the cost of a Y ticket on flights to Europe. Plus pretty much whenever I talk to someone who isn't experienced with aeroplan complains about the YQ. So it seems to me that it's a pretty big issue for the average Canadian.

That said, no idea how interested the average Canadian is in spending an extra 10 hours on their routing.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by montezume
Yes, it's a very personal decision..
We can argue forever about this.
Bottom line is - it would be nice to have a choice - for both revenue and award.

End the protectionist subsidy to AC and allow open skies, using the Australian concept. AC will then have to adapt like QF did in face of real competition.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

It would make a lot of African destinations a one-stop trip....that is why I care. TK just hits more destinations than LH and I prefer their service and free WiFi, but not cabin temp.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:16 pm

I hope TK does start service to YVR even for the simple reason it might free-up award space for others who would have otherwise transit via YYZ or YUL
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We can argue forever about this.
Bottom line is - it would be nice to have a choice - for both revenue and award.

End the protectionist subsidy to AC and allow open skies, using the Australian concept. AC will then have to adapt like QF did in face of real competition.
Isn't that exactly what AC is complaining about though? Saying how the competition "crippled" QF? Totally agree though. More options === bettter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.