Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver Sun : Unfriendly skies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Yes, I know, but you said more.
More than YYZ and YUL. I believe that to be the case. I'm willing to be proven incorrect.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
YVR has like a million Dreamliners and YUL has about none. 'Nuff said.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Almost every time I am sitting in the lounge at YVR DOM I see at least 3.
Three! From the MLL? You must be using a different YVR than I use. I don't think there is a arriving 747 until 11am. I think 1 maybe 2 arr late afternoon and 1 or 2 late night departure. Plus, they usually use gates that can't be seen from the MLL.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Granted CX and PR have ceased for good, but KE, LH, NZ, BA, QF, CA, BR all fly them to YVR on a regular or seasonal basis. Depending on time of year, many of these are subbed by a (yawn) 777, but they're still a common sight.
I thought NZ had retired all its 744s
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by fin 645
I thought NZ had retired all its 744s
I believe so and BA is now flying a A380. Plus, CA does not use a 747 to Vancouver

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jun 12, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Three! From the MLL? You must be using a different YVR than I use. I don't think there is a arriving 747 until 11am. I think 1 maybe 2 arr late afternoon and 1 or 2 late night departure. Plus, they usually use gates that can't be seen from the MLL.
If some pictures come up in my timehop I'll show you, Korean Air (2x), LH, BA, EVA, Quantas, and I remember seeing Cathay back in the day too.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I'm confused. The article doesn't cite any opposition in this supposed "fight" for a TK YVR IST flight. It is all conjecture and extrapolation from the previous scraps with the ME3. I for one am in favour of foreign carriers getting as many routes as the market can support but there seems to be a lot of inference and conjecture in this article. TK hasn't stated that they want the route nor has AC opposed it.

And I'm not sure what Mr. Schlappig means about YVR AKL, this flight already exists?
Actually, TK has mentioned it publicly. Over a year ago - March 2015. They're seeking 28 weekly frequencies. Since 2009, they've received 9 weekly.

See last para of Pg 2. Seeking 2 daily YYZ and 1 daily YVR and YUL.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/ctareview2014/pdf/Turkish_Airlines.pdf

This article is nowhere near as critical as the government's own review of the Canadian Transportation Act, posted on the Transport Canada website. The observations and recommendations in that make short work of claims about the competitive nature of the Canadian market.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Granted CX and PR have ceased for good, but KE, LH, NZ, BA, QF, CA, BR all fly them to YVR on a regular or seasonal basis. Depending on time of year, many of these are subbed by a (yawn) 777, but they're still a common sight.

Oh, and Ed Force One!

Who flies 747s into YYZ? KL and AF seasonally...anyone else I'm not aware of?
LH uses 747 for FRA. BA may have one for LHR. I think the LH 747 is the only one used on a regular basis. There are also some cargo 747s of course.

BTW when did CA use 747s for YVR? From what I know 744s are limited to intra Asia flights since at least 2014. Or does CA use 748 for YVR?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by songsc
LH uses 747 for FRA. BA may have one for LHR. I think the LH 747 is the only one used on a regular basis. There are also some cargo 747s of course.

BTW when did CA use 747s for YVR? From what I know 744s are limited to intra Asia flights since at least 2014. Or does CA use 748 for YVR?
Both BR and CI use 747s for their YVR-TPE runs. Also, KE uses 747s although I am fairly certain I've seen them fly 777s into YVR as well.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:54 pm

And I'm not sure what Mr. Schlappig means about YVR AKL, this flight already exists?
Those comments are strange. Despite AKL having been around for nearly a decade and MEL specifically being mentioned earlier this week by AC directly, he makes it sound as though he came up with the two on his own and did his own route analysis for them. Even his comments on China are odd.. Canadian airlines have access to 18 points in China and yet only use two. The use of a points blogger as a source says a lot about the quality of the article.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yulred
Actually, TK has mentioned it publicly. Over a year ago - March 2015. They're seeking 28 weekly frequencies. Since 2009, they've received 9 weekly.

See last para of Pg 2. Seeking 2 daily YYZ and 1 daily YVR and YUL.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/ctareview201...h_Airlines.pdf

This article is nowhere near as critical as the government's own review of the Canadian Transportation Act, posted on the Transport Canada website. The observations and recommendations in that make short work of claims about the competitive nature of the Canadian market.
Thanks for posting things. I think a YVR IST route would be great for Vancouver. TK offers many connections to the Middle East, Africa and Central Asia and would open up many new one-stop destinations as well as give LH some competition on the FRA/MUC connection traffic. IST is a major hub and the more hubs we can reach with nonstop service the better.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:04 pm

YVR has been expanding INTL routes at an aggressive pace and I love it.

Too bad the YVR - DEL doesn't start till Oct 20th.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:05 pm

YVR has been expanding INTL routes at an aggressive pace and I love it.

Too bad the YVR - DEL doesn't start till Oct 20th.
YVR-DEL was announced days after I booked my usual routing of YVR-LAX-NRT-DEL (AC/NH) for November.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:07 pm

YVR-DEL was announced days after I booked my usual routing of YVR-LAX-NRT-DEL (AC/NH) for November.
You're one of the very few I know who goes that way. Most go TATL.

YVR - YYZ - DEL
YVR - LHR - DEL
YVR - FRA - DEL
Etc.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:09 pm

You're one of the very few I know who goes that way. Most go TATL.

YVR - YYZ - DEL
YVR - LHR - DEL
YVR - FRA - DEL
Etc.
1. I hate LHR
2. I hate FRA
3. I like NH
4. It's usually cheaper
5. I'm brown, so (4) is a big one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.