Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC StarGold cannot enter Lisbon lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E

AC Star Gold members do not have access to lounges in Lisbon airport. Neither the Lounge Schengen da ANA (Central Square up the escalator) nor the Blue Lounge (far from passport exit control) allow access, although the Central Square lounge does allow access to StarGolds from UA, Lufthansa and some other StarAlliance airlines (and some airlines of other Alliances too). This was confirmed by the Central Square Lounge clerk (denied entry), as well as by a very helpful Airport Information agent who called both lounges directly, as well as by an "usher" at the Air Canada check-in area. So, for the 6-hour stop in Lisbon, we took the subway to the downtown from the airport (30 min), walked around, ate some delicious Portuguese pastries and enjoyed the time outside.

By the way, I also took AC Rouge for the first time (Lisbon to Toronto), and perhaps because it was not full (maybe 50%), it was quite comfortable, same as mainline. The bulkhead seats (row 12 on this 763) are awful because of lack of leg space, but the seats right behind have lots of legroom even with the entertainment box for some of them (I tried several). Before the 6 hour stop, I flew from Faro to Lisbon on TAP, and that was quite comfortable too. At Faro, there was priority security clearance and priority boarding for StarGold members that was enforced by the Airport Employees (earning me a glare from people in line when the agent blocked them to allow me forward). However, the Faro Star Alliance lounge did not open until 6am which was the time of the flight to Lisbon.

The flight to Europe was on Brussels Airlines, transiting in Brussels to Faro. Across the Atlantic, it was a great flight, again perhaps less than half full, allow me to snag a 4-across set of seats and sleeping flat for over 5 hours of the 7.5 hour flight. My rollerboard and knapsack bag were allowed on at Toronto, but for the Faro flight, single carry-ons (including purses and small bags) were strictly enforced, but not until the jet bridge, so there was little opportunity to strategically plan and to move items around, including my laptop which went into the general hold (and caused me to worry throughout the flight once I realized I had left it in the rollerboard). Another bad aspect of this was that the luggage that was jet-bridge tagged came out with general luggage, and the small Faro airport was a zoo, packed with British Tourists and very slow luggage service. Rollerboards were allowed on board, but only if they were the single piece of carry-on. For this Faro flight, the gate attendants also did not honor priority boarding, even though there was a signed priority lane at the Brussels airport gate. People who came to that lane expecting to have priority were pointed to the back of the general line.

My experience with the flight attendants on these flights (Brussel Airlines (2), TAP, Air Canada Rouge) were that they were in general better than the average Air Canada mainline with more smiles and less attitude, even as simple as saying you're welcome when thanked.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Checking the Star Alliance Lounge finder, it appears that this has to do with AC (Rouge) not having an agreement with the ANA Lounge. AC Star Gold members travelling on Lufthansa for example do have access.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I just returned from BCN on ACr.

At the priority check in desk, I asked if there is a lounge i can access. I was told that there are many places past security to eat or drink...???

I got him to ask a more senior person, who said there is no lounge for Acr.

So i went to the VIP lounge near D Gates. I used my Priority Pass to get in. While inside, I was surprised to see a colleague and asked him how he got into the lounge. He said the sign has a *A Gold symbol (he is e50K) and he simply used his Altitude card for entry... Go figure

As as side note, the told me that as AC*S100K MM, I could access the 'Fast Lane' as Security at BCN. But the guy at the 'Fast Lane' scans your BP and mine was rejected...he says ACr has no Business Class (of course he is correct). I couldn't be bothered to walk back to the AC desk and I figured it would do no good.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
I just returned from BCN on ACr.

At the priority check in desk, I asked if there is a lounge i can access. I was told that there are many places past security to eat or drink...???

I got him to ask a more senior person, who said there is no lounge for Acr.

So i went to the VIP lounge near D Gates. I used my Priority Pass to get in. While inside, I was surprised to see a colleague and asked him how he got into the lounge. He said the sign has a *A Gold symbol (he is e50K) and he simply used his Altitude card for entry... Go figure .
Odd. Does the difference hinge on whether AC Rouge is considered a Star Alliance airline or not? I had no issue getting into the lounge at BCN, and the entrance does have the *A gold symbol prominently displayed.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The current enRoute magazine says there is a fast track security lane for *G.
This: http://www.staralliance.com/gold-track

Rouge is AC. I would not even confuse people by referring to flying "rouge". I would point to the AC flight number.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Rouge is AC. I would not even confuse people by referring to flying "rouge". I would point to the AC flight number.
AC flight number, AC branding, AC ticket number, all of that is meaningless unless AC has negotiated access for AC Rouge customers to use the lounges. Lounges can treat AC Rouge as a separate airline if they choose to (since they fly are "operated by RV").

Some airlines are good at maintaining consistency for lounge, such as when SWISS had Edelweiss Air flying for them for a brief period of time.

Other airlines such as South African Airways--they have SA Express and Airlink operated flights, separate companies but all plastered with SA flight numbers and branding--and they deny entry to customers on SA Express and Airlink to their own SA lounges in JNB.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
I flew TAP from lisbon and had access to the lounge as a *Gold. I think the thread's title needs to change to note that it happens when flying AC from lisbon
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by anotheran2
I flew TAP from lisbon and had access to the lounge as a *Gold. I think the thread's title needs to change to note that it happens when flying AC from lisbon
when flying ACr from Lisbon
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 2MM, Lifetime Marriott Platnium Elite
According to the Altitude sites My Privilege section (the Complimentary access to Star Alliance Gold Lounges" link)
"Enjoy the comfort and amenities of Star Alliance lounges worldwide. Subject to space availability, you can invite one guest at no charge. Access applies when you and your guest are traveling on a same-day flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge or any Star Alliance member airline.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by podge
According to the Altitude sites My Privilege section (the Complimentary access to Star Alliance Gold Lounges" link)
"Enjoy the comfort and amenities of Star Alliance lounges worldwide. Subject to space availability, you can invite one guest at no charge. Access applies when you and your guest are traveling on a same-day flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge or any Star Alliance member airline.
Good find! I guess someone affected should take this to AC for comment.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
The LIS airport lounge (not a star alliance lounge) does not have an agreement with AC and I complained last year to Air Canada as I flew in on Rouge Twice and then switched to TP & LX as a Gold member no problem. This past January flew in on TAP and next Month Brussels Airlines which also provides lounge access.

They are renovating the airport which will take two years and then the STAR ALLIANCE TAP Lounge will be opened again!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
The LIS airport lounge (not a star alliance lounge) does not have an agreement with AC and I complained last year to Air Canada as I flew in on Rouge Twice and then switched to TP & LX as a Gold member no problem. This past January flew in on TAP and next Month Brussels Airlines which also provides lounge access.

They are renovating the airport which will take two years and then the STAR ALLIANCE TAP Lounge will be opened again!
If the route was low-yield enough to rouge, I can't see them making an agreement with a contract lounge.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by witlesspax
Good find! I guess someone affected should take this to AC for comment.
But are any of the lounges TRUE *GOLD lounges??? I believe the answer is NO
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by flyquiet
The current enRoute magazine says there is a fast track security lane for *G.
This: http://www.staralliance.com/gold-track

There was no confusion. The person manning the FastLane scanned my BP and the light went Red- not Green. I never mentioned Rouge to the Fast Lane person.

Following your link, and looking at Spain, only MAD lists availability of a *G Fast Lane.

I have raised it with AC - but focused on the training of their station personnel as to what is (or is not) available to AC flyers.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I would also like to point out that AC*G was not allowed to enter the DL lounge in ATL, or the LH F lounge in MUC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.