Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
Note: please keep this thread to information on the refurbishment program and its progress; for discussion of which seats are best and other details about the interiors, please visit the seating information thread.

A330-300 Fleet Overview

AC currently has three two configurations of 333:
  • Dream Cabin (16 aircraft): new configuration more in line with the product on AC's 787 and 777 fleets (seat map)
  • XM: AC's old configuration dating from the mid-2000s, which is being phased out (seat map)
  • SQ (2 aircraft): Singapore Airlines configuration, which is being phased out (seat map)
    • Important note: the front cabin on these aircraft is an angle-flat product in a 2-2-2 layout that was SQ's "regional" business class. On flights within North America, AC sells it as J; on international flights, they sell it as PY. These aircraft do not have a normal PY cabin
    • As of October 2023, these aircraft appear to be mostly used on YYZ/YUL-BOG, YUL-ALG, and domestic/TB TCONs (e.g. YUL-YVR/LAX)

The aircraft are gradually being refurbished to the Dream Cabin standard.


Status of Dream Cabin Refurbishment

Code:
32J 24O 241Y: 297 pax
C-GFAF (931) Completed @HKG, Oct 01/23 - Dec 09/23 [69 days]
C-GFAH (932) Completed @QPG, Aug 10/21 - Oct 05/21 [56 days]
C-GFAJ (933) Completed @QPG, Nov 24/21 - Jan 12/22 [49 days]
C-GFUR (934) Completed @QPG, Oct 08/19 - Feb 28/20 [143 days]
C-GHKR (935) Completed @QPG, Oct 04/21 - Nov 25/21 [52 days]
C-GHKW (936) Completed @HKG, Nov 27/21 - Feb 21/22 [86 days]
C-GHKX (937) Completed @RFD, Sep 02/20 - May 30/21 [271 days]
C-GHLM (938) Completed @HKG, Sep 30/22 - Dec 11/22 [72 days]
C-GEFA (939) Completed @RFD, Dec 31/20 - Mar 29/21 [89 days]
C-GEGC (940) Completed @QPG, May 17/22 - Jul 21/22 [67 days]
C-GEGI (941) Completed @QPG, Jan 10/22 - Mar 11/22 [60 days]
C-GEGP (942) Completed @QPG, Nov 06/19 - Jul 01/20 [238 days]
C-GHKC (943) Completed @HKG, Feb 21/22 - May 05/22 [73 days]
C-GKUG (944) Completed @QPG, Mar 02/20 - Feb 10/21 [345 days]
C-GKUH (945) Completed @RFD, Oct 08/20 - Jan 12/21 [99 days]
C-GOFV (946) SQ configuration
C-GOFW (947) Completed @QPG, Feb 03/22 - May 20/22 [107 days]
C-GXZD (948) Was SQ configuration; TBD [Either maintenance or refurb @MZJ, Nov 08/23 - Jan 20/24 [73 days]]
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:34 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YQB
Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Posts: 572
J cabin in the A330-300

Sorry about this question...the answer must be somewhere on this site or AC's! I haven't flown this bird for a long time. Does the J cabin have the new pods (grey ones) or still the old blue ones? Flying 832 to BRU in July, and I am curious.

Thanks,

R&F
run&fly is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:39 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 887
Old blue pods
YOWCDNFF is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:45 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YQB
Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Posts: 572
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Old blue pods
OK, thanks. I was confused because they're calling it International Business, which I think is the name of the new J cabin (787 like).
run&fly is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:42 pm
  #64  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,056
Originally Posted by run&fly
OK, thanks. I was confused because they're calling it International Business, which I think is the name of the new J cabin (787 like).
No, "international business" is just that - business class on international flights.

It's not called international business when a 787 flies YVR-YYZ.

Do you mean "Executive Pod" versus "Classic Pod"?

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...t_intexec.html
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:48 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YQB
Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Posts: 572
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, "international business" is just that - business class on international flights.

It's not called international business when a 787 flies YVR-YYZ.

Do you mean "Executive Pod" versus "Classic Pod"?

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...t_intexec.html
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that the change in name from "business first" to "international business" corresponded to the change to the new pods... I thought that I knew something about AC :-)....
run&fly is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:51 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YQB
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 2,138
Refurb to begin in Nov 2016

I flew AC875 yesterday on a 333 and, while discussing with FA, I learned that the refurb program for the A333 will begin in November. J mini-cabin will be replaced with PY. FA said no change to Y seats is expected. I said I was glad because I much prefer the Y seats in the 333 than the newer Y seats in the 787 - FA seemed genuinely surprised by that comment and asked why! I didn't ask about the J pods though so I don't know if they will be replaced with newer 787-style pods.
jasdou is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:27 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by jasdou
I flew AC875 yesterday on a 333 and, while discussing with FA, I learned that the refurb program for the A333 will begin in November. J mini-cabin will be replaced with PY. FA said no change to Y seats is expected. I said I was glad because I much prefer the Y seats in the 333 than the newer Y seats in the 787 - FA seemed genuinely surprised by that comment and asked why! I didn't ask about the J pods though so I don't know if they will be replaced with newer 787-style pods.
As much as I like the current Y in the 330, they are adding rows of Y, at least according to the new seat map on AC.com. So in a way I hope they put slimline seats in, or else the legroom is going to be quite tight (or does the PY leave extra space behind it after the refurb, which is where the extra Y goes?).
Orcair is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:48 am
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Posts: 16,542
Originally Posted by Orcair
As much as I like the current Y in the 330, they are adding rows of Y, at least according to the new seat map on AC.com. So in a way I hope they put slimline seats in, or else the legroom is going to be quite tight (or does the PY leave extra space behind it after the refurb, which is where the extra Y goes?).
I believe they are adding rows by splitting what is now the mini-J cabin between PY and more rows of Y rather than by reducing seat pitch. Just a guess, but I would not be surprised if they lose the mini galley, lav and closet.

3 rows of PY takes up less real estate than 3 rows of J.
The Lev is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:31 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by The Lev
I believe they are adding rows by splitting what is now the mini-J cabin between PY and more rows of Y rather than by reducing seat pitch. Just a guess, but I would not be surprised if they lose the mini galley, lav and closet.

3 rows of PY takes up less real estate than 3 rows of J.
Ahh that makes sense, especially if they take out the lav and galley ^.
Orcair is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:41 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Super Elite 100K
Posts: 825
There they go again...

Originally Posted by Orcair
Ahh that makes sense, especially if they take out the lav and galley ^.
And THAT will do wonders for those who plan to inhale and evacuate dinner and drink in a timely fashion. Keep aiming for the least you can get away with AC!
willflyforfood is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:13 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Posts: 1,507
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
And THAT will do wonders for those who plan to inhale and evacuate dinner and drink in a timely fashion. Keep aiming for the least you can get away with AC!
They get away with what you will pay for.
Bonaventure is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:47 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 260
The retrofit process has begun. C-GHLM flew YYZ-HND-QPG for retrofitting on Sep 24. Added wiki post similar to the 777 retrofitting thread one.

Last edited by briguychau; Oct 3, 2016 at 10:53 pm
briguychau is offline  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:12 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,494
Originally Posted by briguychau
The retrofit process has begun. C-GHLM flew YYZ-HND-QPG for retrofitting on Sep 24. Added wiki post similar to the 777 retrofitting thread one.
I should walk over and see if I can find the plane on the tarmac from the fence.
quantumofforce is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:28 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YQB
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 2,138
Any news on Fin 938? It's been in refurb for over 30 days, which is typically how long it took to refurb the 777s.
jasdou is offline  
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:02 am
  #75  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YHZ/YQM
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,618
Originally Posted by jasdou
Any news on Fin 938? It's been in refurb for over 30 days, which is typically how long it took to refurb the 777s.
According to flightaware it is still there.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGHLM
smallmj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.