Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
Note: please keep this thread to information on the refurbishment program and its progress; for discussion of which seats are best and other details about the interiors, please visit the seating information thread.

A330-300 Fleet Overview

AC currently has two configurations of 333:
  • Dream Cabin (16 aircraft): Latest 3-class configuration in line with the 787 and 777 fleets (seat map)
  • The "Merlions" (2 aircraft): ex-Singapore Airlines 2-class configuration (seat map), which are expected to be reconfigured to the Dream Cabin.
    • Important note: the front cabin on these aircraft is an angle-flat product in a 2-2-2 layout that was SQ's "regional" business class. On flights within North America, AC sells it as J; on international flights, they sell it as PY. These aircraft do not have the standard AC PY cabin
    • Since October 2023, these aircraft primarily operate YYZ>BOG>YUL triangle, and YUL<>LAX.
Status of Dream Cabin Refurbishment

Code:
32J 24O 241Y: 297 pax
C-GFAF (931) Completed @HKG, Oct 01/23 - Dec 09/23 [69 days]
C-GFAH (932) Completed @QPG, Aug 10/21 - Oct 05/21 [56 days]
C-GFAJ (933) Completed @QPG, Nov 24/21 - Jan 12/22 [49 days]
C-GFUR (934) Completed @QPG, Oct 08/19 - Feb 28/20 [143 days]
C-GHKR (935) Completed @QPG, Oct 04/21 - Nov 25/21 [52 days]
C-GHKW (936) Completed @HKG, Nov 27/21 - Feb 21/22 [86 days]
C-GHKX (937) Completed @RFD, Sep 02/20 - May 30/21 [271 days]
C-GHLM (938) Completed @HKG, Sep 30/22 - Dec 11/22 [72 days]
C-GEFA (939) Completed @RFD, Dec 31/20 - Mar 29/21 [89 days]
C-GEGC (940) Completed @QPG, May 17/22 - Jul 21/22 [67 days]
C-GEGI (941) Completed @QPG, Jan 10/22 - Mar 11/22 [60 days]
C-GEGP (942) Completed @QPG, Nov 06/19 - Jul 01/20 [238 days]
C-GHKC (943) Completed @HKG, Feb 21/22 - May 05/22 [73 days]
C-GKUG (944) Completed @QPG, Mar 02/20 - Feb 10/21 [345 days]
C-GKUH (945) Completed @RFD, Oct 08/20 - Jan 12/21 [99 days]
C-GOFV (946) SQ configuration
C-GOFW (947) Completed @QPG, Feb 03/22 - May 20/22 [107 days]
C-GXZD (948) SQ configuration
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YWG-RO
Any news on the new A330 J seating configuration?
Supposedly 32J/24PY/241Y.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flew one of the lions on AC 739 YYZ-SFO this week, in the front. Several of the cabin crew were confused, particularly by the seat numbering, or more precisely, the lettering. Passengers were being sent to the wrong aisles, and then were arguing (politely, this is Canada) with one another over who was or wasn't in the correct seat. One of the FA's proudly told me that this was a 2-day old aircraft purchased from Portugese Airlines, and completely pooh-poohed my suggestion that this plane had actually come from SQ via TP. A lot of passengers couldn't figure out the controls, and I heard several asking what happened to the pods.

Personally, I have no issues. I can probably sleep better on these seats than on the pods, because my knees don't get destroyed by the tray table. Got two rock solid hours after the dinner service. Flew these birds a lot all over Asia and to Australia, and never had any complaints.
24left likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Supposedly 32J/24PY/241Y.
24PY? I can't imagine it wouldn't be in a 2-3-2 config (like it is currently) so wouldn't it be 21PY unless there's an extra middle row?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks vernonc

Seems like the $315 premium long haul upcharge for Signature Service is not being realized.

Another example with a Lion where the meal service was narrowbody transcon.

and zero PDB!
Flew on AC754 arrived in YYZ this morning on the red eye. Flight departed 2.5hrs late approx due to late arriving aircraft - mechanical issues.
Good crew. Walked around J with a quick summary of the controls. Was offered a PDB - OJ or water. No mattress pad, just pillow and blanket - maybe because of late arriving aircraft. I think 2C is still defective - heard the concierge explaining to a customer that they could not clear e-upg because there was one less seat as it was defective.
My seat 5C had duct tape on the arm rest.
J washroom on A/C side did not have tap water - wipes were left in the sink.
Was offered breakfast choice before departure of omelette or omelette or omelette. Just kidding about the selection of one choice. FWP.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
24PY? I can't imagine it wouldn't be in a 2-3-2 config (like it is currently) so wouldn't it be 21PY unless there's an extra middle row?
I suspect the galley and lav configuration is the reason for the 24PY, but that is only a guess. It will continue as 2-3-2 I'd imagine. Based on the routes the reconfigured A330's are likely to fly, there is probably the demand for an increased number of J and PY seats, hence the 32J and 24PY configuration. However, since there haven't been any A330's out of refurb yet, it is unclear as to the final configuration.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:40 pm

Currently, C-GEGP (Fin 942) and C-GFUR (Fin 934) are at Singapore for maintenance and refurbish. GFUR is there since october the 8th so will soon be out with probably the new cabin.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:38 am
Suspended

Took the red-eye 754 yesterday in the PE seat, what a horrible experience for me
Prior to departure FA conveniently broadcasted "we are on a borrowed plane" (so expect some hiccups?).
Mid flight the cover from my armrest (not sure what's the term for the part between seats, divider?) fell apart (saw some previous posts that they have "duct taped" some armrests, I guess that's why). There are electric cables exposed after the cover fell apart, so I was moved to an adjacent seat whose previous passenger switched away.
Turns out the seat has IFE completely broken, reading light broken, usb charger broken, and most importantly, the back support part seems to be out of cushion and it felt hard as rock! I barely get any sleep during this red-eye . I thought AC only had deflate seat issues on their executive pods, guess I'm wrong.
Filled the white compensation form, and surprisingly it doesn't that the "seat deflated" option. I guess I'm out of luck as SD only acknowledged the IFE issue, said electric outlet still functions even tho usb charger is broken, and completely avoided the hard back support issue.
Will be writing an email complaint also, see how things can go.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sha8192
Took the red-eye 754 yesterday in the PE seat, what a horrible experience for me
Prior to departure FA conveniently broadcasted "we are on a borrowed plane" (so expect some hiccups?).
Mid flight the cover from my armrest (not sure what's the term for the part between seats, divider?) fell apart (saw some previous posts that they have "duct taped" some armrests, I guess that's why). There are electric cables exposed after the cover fell apart, so I was moved to an adjacent seat whose previous passenger switched away.
Turns out the seat has IFE completely broken, reading light broken, usb charger broken, and most importantly, the back support part seems to be out of cushion and it felt hard as rock! I barely get any sleep during this red-eye . I thought AC only had deflate seat issues on their executive pods, guess I'm wrong.
Filled the white compensation form, and surprisingly it doesn't that the "seat deflated" option. I guess I'm out of luck as SD only acknowledged the IFE issue, said electric outlet still functions even tho usb charger is broken, and completely avoided the hard back support issue.
Will be writing an email complaint also, see how things can go.
You received a slightly older form. In those cases, the SD would write down "deflated seat", or the pax can do so as well.

But in your case, you needed a "worn down seat" checkbox.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE. Hilton Diamond, Marriot TI, Avis PC. Hertz PC.

AC135 (940) yesterday seat 5A

Honestly, it was very comfortable. I slept for 2.5 hrs straight until descent.

food?... omelet

IFE screen was large and i liked the privacy filter. It was just on maps for whole flight.

Seats were actually quite comfortable.
Lots of storage.

Overhead storage was smaller but was not an issue.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Prior to departure FA conveniently broadcasted "we are on a borrowed plane" (so expect some hiccups?).........
"Borrowed"?

I find this amusing and poor form. Did AC not tell their cabin crews where these aircraft came from, or that AC now owns them (and that they will be refurbished eventually)? Did this FA make it up because he/she was clueless about the aircraft features? (For a brief second there, it reminded me of the SDs who claim they know nothing about AC's deflated seats.)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:20 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
"Borrowed"?

I find this amusing and poor form. Did AC not tell their cabin crews where these aircraft came from, or that AC now owns them (and that they will be refurbished eventually)? Did this FA make it up because he/she was clueless about the aircraft features? (For a brief second there, it reminded me of the SDs who claim they know nothing about AC's deflated seats.)
I'm guessing "Borrowed" sounded better than "Used" to the FA in question.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 17, 2019 at 11:21 am Reason: Possession is nine-tenths of the law
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can we confirm that 754 operated by this aircraft is not lie flats and not Signature?

AC is still selling it as such.

Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

I can only say that when I took it, it was still the SQ lion. Not sure when the refurbishment will be done and it gets real signature service.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can we confirm that 754 operated by this aircraft is not lie flats and not Signature?

AC is still selling it as such.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I can only say that when I took it, it was still the SQ lion. Not sure when the refurbishment will be done and it gets real signature service.
It's still 2-2-2 on the seat map.

And I'm asking because I know someone with a ticket on that flight, and he's not going to be impressed if his "Air Canada Signature Class with lie-flat seats" does not materialize.

It's not very clear about the exceptions, but I don't think it's reasonable to say "this flight has SS" if this flight does not have SS.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's still 2-2-2 on the seat map.

And I'm asking because I know someone with a ticket on that flight, and he's not going to be impressed if his "Air Canada Signature Class with lie-flat seats" does not materialize.

It's not very clear about the exceptions, but I don't think it's reasonable to say "this flight has SS" if this flight does not have SS.
Your friend might not be impressed with the duct tape either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.