Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
Note: please keep this thread to information on the refurbishment program and its progress; for discussion of which seats are best and other details about the interiors, please visit the seating information thread.

A330-300 Fleet Overview

AC currently has two configurations of 333:
  • Dream Cabin (16 aircraft): Latest 3-class configuration in line with the 787 and 777 fleets (seat map)
  • The "Merlions" (2 aircraft): ex-Singapore Airlines 2-class configuration (seat map), which are expected to be reconfigured to the Dream Cabin.
    • Important note: the front cabin on these aircraft is an angle-flat product in a 2-2-2 layout that was SQ's "regional" business class. On flights within North America, AC sells it as J; on international flights, they sell it as PY. These aircraft do not have the standard AC PY cabin
    • Since October 2023, these aircraft primarily operate YYZ>BOG>YUL triangle, and YUL<>LAX.
Status of Dream Cabin Refurbishment

Code:
32J 24O 241Y: 297 pax
C-GFAF (931) Completed @HKG, Oct 01/23 - Dec 09/23 [69 days]
C-GFAH (932) Completed @QPG, Aug 10/21 - Oct 05/21 [56 days]
C-GFAJ (933) Completed @QPG, Nov 24/21 - Jan 12/22 [49 days]
C-GFUR (934) Completed @QPG, Oct 08/19 - Feb 28/20 [143 days]
C-GHKR (935) Completed @QPG, Oct 04/21 - Nov 25/21 [52 days]
C-GHKW (936) Completed @HKG, Nov 27/21 - Feb 21/22 [86 days]
C-GHKX (937) Completed @RFD, Sep 02/20 - May 30/21 [271 days]
C-GHLM (938) Completed @HKG, Sep 30/22 - Dec 11/22 [72 days]
C-GEFA (939) Completed @RFD, Dec 31/20 - Mar 29/21 [89 days]
C-GEGC (940) Completed @QPG, May 17/22 - Jul 21/22 [67 days]
C-GEGI (941) Completed @QPG, Jan 10/22 - Mar 11/22 [60 days]
C-GEGP (942) Completed @QPG, Nov 06/19 - Jul 01/20 [238 days]
C-GHKC (943) Completed @HKG, Feb 21/22 - May 05/22 [73 days]
C-GKUG (944) Completed @QPG, Mar 02/20 - Feb 10/21 [345 days]
C-GKUH (945) Completed @RFD, Oct 08/20 - Jan 12/21 [99 days]
C-GOFV (946) SQ configuration
C-GOFW (947) Completed @QPG, Feb 03/22 - May 20/22 [107 days]
C-GXZD (948) SQ configuration
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by OZtrav
The AC website still shows layout 2 (old AC configuration) even though AC is not flying any of them right now. Could this indicate that they may bring back stored ones into service without refitting?

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html

I understand 5 have been refitted, and 4 currently flying cargo are from SQ so I presume they have a different layout - perhaps unlikely they will enter passenger service in those configurations.

The other 7 (with an average age of 20+ years) - I wonder if some of these will return before refitting if demand recovers in 2022. For example, it looks like AC is planning to restart seasonal services to VCE, OTP and BUD next summer which I think were previously rouge destinations (to be fair, if they used 767s on those, even old 330s would be an upgrade).
Yeah, AC is showing some flights in August with the old classic pod configuration on the A330. For early August, looks like YYZ-YYC on AC155, returning on 156 is being operated by a 330 showing the old configuration on most days. YUL-YYC flights show A330's with the new seating configuration, so it's not like they're just showing the old seating for all flights.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by OZtrav
The AC website still shows layout 2 (old AC configuration) even though AC is not flying any of them right now. Could this indicate that they may bring back stored ones into service without refitting?

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html

I understand 5 have been refitted, and 4 currently flying cargo are from SQ so I presume they have a different layout - perhaps unlikely they will enter passenger service in those configurations.

The other 7 (with an average age of 20+ years) - I wonder if some of these will return before refitting if demand recovers in 2022......
@OZtrav
Looking at the AC fleet on Planespotters https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Air-Canada ....

Also including a screen shot as that is what is showing today. Might be different the next time someone checks the page.

Interesting # of J seats on the Cargo aircraft.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:49 pm

Thanks 24left - so it looks like 6/16 have been refitted so far
The cargo ones are originally from SQ (C30 Y255) so maybe they just kept the first row seats?

gcashin that's good to know - I'll try to avoid 330 for the time being (not that I am flying these days anyway so it should be easy!)
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:55 pm
Suspended

There are two a330’s in the old configuration that will be operating shortly, although they will be limited to domestic and Florida flying as much as possible. Higher than anticipated demand is blamed for this: there was no plan for these older configured aircraft to ever fly until they were refurb’d
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thefishgoesmoo
There are two a330’s in the old configuration that will be operating shortly, although they will be limited to domestic and Florida flying as much as possible. Higher than anticipated demand is blamed for this: there was no plan for these older configured aircraft to ever fly until they were refurb’d
Good that demand has picked up, but not great as far as passenger experience goes. AC has a reconfigured bird (944) sitting in VCV which I assume will be back in service shortly as well as what is supposedly a reconfigured bird in SIN (937). They also have 6 perfectly good 77L's sitting in the desert. Not sure why they can't bring those back into service ahead of the old configuration A330's. They are almost the same number of seats. I know they burn more fuel on shorter routes, but they have a much nice cabin (at least in J) - maybe I have answered my own question with fuel burn and trip costs.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Good that demand has picked up, but not great as far as passenger experience goes. AC has a reconfigured bird (944) sitting in VCV which I assume will be back in service shortly as well as what is supposedly a reconfigured bird in SIN (937). They also have 6 perfectly good 77L's sitting in the desert. Not sure why they can't bring those back into service ahead of the old configuration A330's. They are almost the same number of seats. I know they burn more fuel on shorter routes, but they have a much nice cabin (at least in J) - maybe I have answered my own question with fuel burn and trip costs.
Also, it could be easier to reactivate the A330s vs 777s. Maybe they have excess active A330 flight crew, maybe the A330 is a more optimized cabin mix. I’m sure there are a lot of factors that go into which FINs they are bringing back to service.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:05 pm

Bringing back only 1 or 2 77Ls is also problematic for maintenance, You can't just swap in an A330 when the 77L is unavailable because you need a different crew to fly it, and you have to have a different crew already positioned at the outstation to fly it back (unless it's a short trip). It makes more sense from an operations perspective to bring back a few more A330s, even if some still have the old pods.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Bringing back only 1 or 2 77Ls is also problematic for maintenance, You can't just swap in an A330 when the 77L is unavailable because you need a different crew to fly it, and you have to have a different crew already positioned at the outstation to fly it back (unless it's a short trip). It makes more sense from an operations perspective to bring back a few more A330s, even if some still have the old pods.
Reckon that's true if we are talking about flights from YUL, considering it is the A330 base. Otherwise there are 777 crews in both YVR and YYZ and those crews fly both 77L's and 77W's. With all the 77W freighters flying around, there are likely crews available. With 16 A330's eventually in the fleet, one would assume there will be A330 crews in both YYZ and YUL as there will be YYZ-Europe and South America flights being flown by A330's.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Couldn’t those pilots deadhead from YUL-YYZ?

I have sat beside/behind/in front of four different pilots on my flights (in J) and some were lengthier domestic flights.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
Couldn’t those pilots deadhead from YUL-YYZ?

I have sat beside/behind/in front of four different pilots on my flights (in J) and some were lengthier domestic flights.
The pilots do deadhead often, but if for example a YYZ FCO needs to get swapped from an A330 to a 777, there would be a crew to fly it to FCO, but no one to fly it back. Thats the issue that the previous posts are bringing up.

There are currently A330 bases in YYZ and YUL for pilots, and 777 bases in YVR YYZ and YUL, although the YUL base is very very small.
StuMcIlwain likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Also, it could be easier to reactivate the A330s vs 777s. Maybe they have excess active A330 flight crew, maybe the A330 is a more optimized cabin mix. I’m sure there are a lot of factors that go into which FINs they are bringing back to service.
I have been told there are not enough captains trained on the B777 to bring more back. The A330 still has numerous crew idling / not being used frequently to operate.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss
I have been told there are not enough captains trained on the B777 to bring more back. The A330 still has numerous crew idling / not being used frequently to operate.
Drifting a bit off topic, but the 777 and 787 have a common type rating which could allow AC to have a common pilot pool for these aircraft. There are carriers that do this but I don’t believe AC does. With a combined 777/787 fleet of 62 you would think AC would consider this.

Back on topic - any idea when the frames in RFD are going to come back into service?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:55 pm

Back on topic - any idea when the frames in RFD are going to come back into service?
You mean the 77Ls? I wouldn't expect to see them back until there is a demand for premium-heavy ultra-long flights, or until all other planes are back in service and there is still a shortage of aircraft. In other words, not anytime soon.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
You mean the 77Ls? I wouldn't expect to see them back until there is a demand for premium-heavy ultra-long flights, or until all other planes are back in service and there is still a shortage of aircraft. In other words, not anytime soon.
The 77L's are in the desert. I was talking about the A330's being refurbished in RFD.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:24 am
Suspended

Looks like fin 936 is back in YYZ, still in dinosaur configuration. First flight I see shows it departing to FLL on Friday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.