Wiki Posts
Search

Status Match from AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Status Match from AA?

I am currently EXP on American, but with their new program and searching for other options. If I read the AC info correctly, I can become super elite with AC by spending U$S 10,000 rather than the $12,000 that AA will require. Will AC match status? I would use AC on many international flights. Secondly, how difficult is it to actually use your points/miles on AC and it's partners.

Thank you!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You need 10k CAD, not USD.

Matches are not "impossible", but if you're worried about hitting $12k USD spend, I doubt you'd be able to get one.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:23 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Not quite; SE is $20K CDN for Canadians, or $10K CDN for foreigners.

So with the current exchange rate, that's around $8K USD. However, who knows what will happen with exchange rates in the future.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bkkth
Secondly, how difficult is it to actually use your points/miles on AC and it's partners.
Since the others didn't touch this, I'll take a stab.

It depends greatly on what you want to use your points for. If you're looking to fly on AC metal flights, Super Elites have access to a lot of extra seats for no additional miles ("priority rewards"). You're limited to 10 of these a year, but that may be enough (10 PNRs, which can include up to 8 people each).

And Super Elites pay no fuel/carrier surcharges on AC metal flights anywhere, which can be a significant savings in dollars on long-haul J itineraries. Then again, if you pay no surcharges on AA now (can't say I know much about AA's program), that's not really a gain.

As for using the points, do consider that like in the US, most Aeroplan points are not earned from flying. If you want to accumulate a lot of points to take advantage of those SE perks, you would need a credit card that allows you to earn Aeroplan miles. I don't know how easy it is to get one in the US.

Of course, those are the benefits for 2016. They haven't announced what the benefits for 2017 will be, nor are they likely to do so until very late in the year.

Lastly, carefully consider how much you would actually fly AC and whether you'd actually make SE. AC only awards AQD for (1) AC metal flights, regardless of the ticketing carrier and (2) AC codeshares on other *A metal flights, ticketed on AC stock (014) only. AC codeshares on other airlines' metal are frequently outrageously expensive (Canada-US/US domestic and intra-Europe especially come to mind). If stopping at YVR/YYC/YYZ/etc is reasonably convenient and price-competitive for you, great, but otherwise it may be a struggle to get the AQD.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Since the others didn't touch this, I'll take a stab.

It depends greatly on what you want to use your points for. If you're looking to fly on AC metal flights, Super Elites have access to a lot of extra seats for no additional miles ("priority rewards"). You're limited to 10 of these a year, but that may be enough (10 PNRs, which can include up to 8 people each).
Not that it's material, but a small correction I think: 9 people are allowed on each PNR, the website being limited to 8 but not by policy. At least this is my understanding...

But seriously, a herd of family per booking is highly atypical. =P
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:07 am

where are you planning on travelling using points.

if it's Europe...tough call. with AA you get BA (high YQ) and AA (limited inventory) and I guess a few others. with AC you get AC (nice product and if you are SE no YQ) and access to LH F. UA also an option. so I'd say AC/*A wins to Europe

if it's Asia. kind of a draw. CX and JL reward costs have gone up on AA but are still lower than AC. you can also more easily get multiple seats on these carriers, if that's an issue. with AC it's a bit more difficult to get multiple seats, but you get more selection between NH, OZ and BR. I'd say that unless you need multiple seats, AC *A wins over AA in terms of redemptions.

if it's South America...I guess AA has by far the best network. but award availability is crap, from what I've seen (same case with LA). AC has a good network, but is very costly in terms of YQ (not an issue if you're SE or flying out of Brazil). But, since you're in the US you need to look at UA. In my UA searches, I can pretty easily find two J seats for example. tough call, but I'd say *A wins in this case too.

Africa and India...I'd say that AA wins simply because of the Qatar and EY alliances.

Aside from all of the above, which is debatable, why are you looking at AC? you're in the US. you can supplement points earned by flying with points earned by credit card spend, which would make US FF programs a lot more appealing I would think.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Is OP aware the spend $s must be on AC flights, 014 tickets? Or am I incorrect? To some Americans, the AC program may look like a good alternative since they can convert US Amex Membership Rewards to AC/AE miles so most RDM earnings would come from their cc spend. But even with the changes occurring in the AA program, can't see many benefits for someone who does not fly AC all that much. Only real benefit beyond Amex conversion for awards (and SE priorities/fee waiver in redeeming them on AC flights, are the STARGold benefits (and full access to UA clubs when flying that airline solely within the US).
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
OP said he/she "would use AC on many international flights."
Remains for OP to determine if that is possible (014 ticket and AC flight number, or AC metal any ticket) for sufficient AQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.