Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade of PY service?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Apparently you don't fly to Japan with AC as often as some others here.

Sometime late 2015, AC raised the prices for J and PE significantly and I posted this a few times in other threads.

Perhaps to encourage buyers, PE pricing was in the $1,700-$1,850 range. It then jumped 50-75%. AC also raised the price of J (lowest) and unless you can or want to stay 7 days and pay $3,232, it is easily $700-$1000 more depending on the dates.

So, contrary to your "all Canadians are cheap" assumptions and won't pay, AC knows something you don't and has raised prices because they can sell those seats. Further, based on the increased number of Americans AC is pulling on on AC3/4 - quite a few of whom have not experienced PE on their own U.S. carriers, PE on AC might be awesome for them and the right price and well, not coach.

Since AC is apparently filling the smaller J cabin on the 788s to NRT, they can now charge whatever they want.

I have flown on many international AC flights where PE sat empty, or had 6 or 8 pax, or at most, 14 of 21. I flew one TPAC where there were only 2, and another, after the Tokyo marathon, where they were so oversold in Y, that some pax were bumped to PE and some others were bumped to J.

just saying....
All one needs to do before putting PY, Asia and Low price in a sentence is using to Google's price trend tool to map out the next two month's price difference, which I guess one did not do before making such claim.

Since that claim already do not work on Japan and China routes,you know them being the biggest markets for AC and all, it could not be further away from the truth.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Apparently you don't fly to Japan with AC as often as some others here.

Sometime late 2015, AC raised the prices for J and PE significantly and I posted this a few times in other threads.

Perhaps to encourage buyers, PE pricing was in the $1,700-$1,850 range. It then jumped 50-75%. AC also raised the price of J (lowest) and unless you can or want to stay 7 days and pay $3,232, it is easily $700-$1000 more depending on the dates.

So, contrary to your "all Canadians are cheap" assumptions and won't pay, AC knows something you don't and has raised prices because they can sell those seats. Further, based on the increased number of Americans AC is pulling on on AC3/4 - quite a few of whom have not experienced PE on their own U.S. carriers, PE on AC might be awesome for them and the right price and well, not coach.

Since AC is apparently filling the smaller J cabin on the 788s to NRT, they can now charge whatever they want.

I have flown on many international AC flights where PE sat empty, or had 6 or 8 pax, or at most, 14 of 21. I flew one TPAC where there were only 2, and another, after the Tokyo marathon, where they were so oversold in Y, that some pax were bumped to PE and some others were bumped to J.

just saying....
Sorry, I have never really flown to Japan. My Asian flights were Hong Kong/Shanghai 8 to 10 x per year and are now down to 3 to 4 x per year. A lot of times, PY to HK/Shanghai is under $1k and low J can be around $1600 to $1800. Japan is a little different, because the Japanese government sets a lot of controls(capacity) which causes inflated prices.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Okay, paddle flawed thoughts is one. Say stuff like that without merits is another.

Low Prices?
What low prices, of course, in the SE MM reality distortion field i guess paying double is "low"

There was nothing to love it, i didnt ask for it ,its there, while PY was nearly 3X more.
10%? More like 100-120% more for TPAC routes.Oh and i just did a random matrix search and simply confirms the near double price.

Tripled in some cases.

How cheap of these entitled, dirty peasants eh?
Why do you always base your prices/arguments on the lowest denominator and then complain about it. Life does not work this way. Do you do this, say with, meat cuts, cars, wages? If so, what about taxes?

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jun 3, 2016 at 10:41 am
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by witlesspax
Sorry, I'm genuinely trying but I must be misunderstanding what you're saying because it seems to be two opposite things?

So, PY is doing very well and the seats are being filled.

So, PY is doing very poorly because the seats are not being filled?

I must be missing something.

In my experience (and probably this is route dependent, I don't often fly TPAC), the PY cabin is rarely full and sometimes shockingly empty, which makes me worry that AC may abandon it. I'm not sure if that gels with your experience or not.

From late 2014 when I started flying to HND or NRT, PE was empty (yes, I have photos). I bought various tickets on all of my flights depending on my working budget for each trip - some PE, some paid J, a couple upgraded PE to J using my credits.

PE on my AC5 was empty. There were 3 of us. (It was awesome ^).
AC 6, PE was almost full. No idea if Y was oversold and therefore some were moved up.

AC3/4 PE were mostly empty until late 2015.
J was also not always full, but rarely more than 3 empty seats.

Met quite a few pax from PDX and SEA on the route towards the end of last year. They were raving over the "bargain" that AC is and J is better than the DL they were usually flying.

So, AC for the win here.

However, whether some flights had PE partly empty or not, AC still raised the prices dramatically.

So, to my thinking, here is how I view AC's thinking and to be clear, it is just my assumption:

As long as NH and JAL (ex-YVR) are not having a sale, AC can comfortably charge "what the market will bear" on AC3/4.

Clearly, AC now has data showing more Americans on the flights, thus the 20-seat J cabin may be full or sold out. So, they can now sell PE (often known as J- ) to those who can't get into J or can't afford the now higher J prices. "Hey, if you want J, it's $4,200. But, if you can't afford J, feel free to pay us $2,400 etc to sit in PE" kind of thing.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Is the 777 PY same quality as the 787 PY?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sram

2-4-2 on the 777

And here are photos from 2 different flights
Attached Images   
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:05 pm

2-4-2 on the 777

And here are photos from 2 different flights
Thanks, I've never been on a 777 HD with PY, only 787-8 and 787-9. How does it work on domestic metal that has PY? do you get the seat but not the service?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I see they have the same dirty pillows for PY pax.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Interesting comment. It made me realise I'd rather eat the table linen than the crap that comes out of the kitchens at CDG.

Good to know I'm not the only one to have experienced this. AC needs to address the poor food quality. Yes, the linen would probably taste better.

A disappointment on this aircraft is that there isn't a dedicated lavatory for PY. This is standard rather than a downgrade though.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:59 pm

I definitely prefer the 787. The only bonus for the 777, in my opinion, is the roomier seat in PY as compared to Y.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by znke252
Good to know I'm not the only one to have experienced this. AC needs to address the poor food quality. Yes, the linen would probably taste better.

A disappointment on this aircraft is that there isn't a dedicated lavatory for PY. This is standard rather than a downgrade though.
I just use the J lavatory. I've had one flight attendant make a fuss. I told them there are a half dozen people in line for the Y lavatory and no one waiting for the two J lavatories.

They seemed ok with that comment.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:00 am

Just returned from a trip on AC16 in PY. My general thoughts and comments:
1) I like the seats, was able to rest well in the seats, I was in row 12. I can't imagine getting any better rest in J, but that's just my personal experience of not sleeping in J.
2) Person behind me could not fold their tray table when my seat was reclined. Not sure they enjoyed the space as much as I. I think row 12 is probably the best.
3) Service was "Y", nothing exceptional about the service.e.g. No refills on drinks unless to get up and ask.
4) What stood out the most were meals, and not for a good reason. Meal #1 was served on a try with china and metal cutlery, similar to domestic J, very nice. Meal #2 was a sandwich literally thrown to you in your seat in plastic wrap, and instant noodle box purchased a your local No Frills store. Meal #3 was a "Y" breakfast from the "Y" cabin served on a completely different plastic tray, plastic cutlery and dishes...no resemblance to meal #1. The general eroding of the meal service as the trip went on was very obvious. Is it that hard to offer a consistent experience meal to meal? I left the 15 hr flight feeling like PY service is only offered for the first 2 hours.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Just returned from a trip on AC16 in PY. My general thoughts and comments:
1) I like the seats, was able to rest well in the seats, I was in row 12. I can't imagine getting any better rest in J, but that's just my personal experience of not sleeping in J.
2) Person behind me could not fold their tray table when my seat was reclined. Not sure they enjoyed the space as much as I. I think row 12 is probably the best.
3) Service was "Y", nothing exceptional about the service.e.g. No refills on drinks unless to get up and ask.
4) What stood out the most were meals, and not for a good reason. Meal #1 was served on a try with china and metal cutlery, similar to domestic J, very nice. Meal #2 was a sandwich literally thrown to you in your seat in plastic wrap, and instant noodle box purchased a your local No Frills store. Meal #3 was a "Y" breakfast from the "Y" cabin served on a completely different plastic tray, plastic cutlery and dishes...no resemblance to meal #1. The general eroding of the meal service as the trip went on was very obvious. Is it that hard to offer a consistent experience meal to meal? I left the 15 hr flight feeling like PY service is only offered for the first 2 hours.
Bolding is mine: this is exactly what it is now. No longer J-. Simply Y+. The dedicated FA and premium service is only until the 1st meal is served. After that, it becomes a Y cabin. Significant erosion indeed since PY cabin was launched.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Bolding is mine: this is exactly what it is now. No longer J-. Simply Y+. The dedicated FA and premium service is only until the 1st meal is served. After that, it becomes a Y cabin. Significant erosion indeed since PY cabin was launched.
Its trending towards UA E+
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
I think it has always been this way, no?

First meal, PE, then the inconsistent service steps in

All they need is a slightly better breakfast + more snack options and they would be good

Seems simple enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.