Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade of PY service?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How does that prevent it from splashing out when they pour it?
It'll help with 1 of the 3 causes of spillage you listed.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
It'll help with 1 of the 3 causes of spillage you listed.
What I was talking about was where it would spill on the tray, where the linen would help absorb it.

I'm not sure how a big a straw you were thinking of (although I have a comical picture in my head right now), but I don't think a straw would help
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: AC SE
I'm not sure how a big a straw you were thinking of (although I have a comical picture in my head right now), but I don't think a straw would help
How about a straw straight from the bottle? THAT would solve everything.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Although I am not a great lover of UA, I find their J meal presentation superior. They use linen that covers the entire table and forgo the tray. For PY this probably doesn't work but for J I prefer it.

I do feel that removing the linen in PY does lower the service level slightly.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 172pilot

I do feel that removing the linen in PY does lower the service level slightly.
Of course it does, along with plastic glasses. From all accounts, the real problem is lack of adequate storage, so instead of solving that and providing the real small extras that give PY the feel of being a cut above Y, they just remove them.

But that would likely mean a couple of less seats, so we couldn't have that, could we? And it all comes from the brilliant AC minds that brought you the HD, the ultimate exercise in inadequate galley, storage and washroom space to fit in more seats.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:14 am

You can ask the FA for a straw.
Or pack a sippy cup?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Or perhaps AC has a batch of baby sip cups onboard? That would solve all drip problems!

Actually that might help to make the Y class people feel better if they boarded seeing all the J's enjoying their welcome drink in a sip cup! God I wish this would happen.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:54 am

Or pack a sippy cup?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by belky15
Or perhaps AC has a batch of baby sip cups onboard? That would solve all drip problems!

Actually that might help to make the Y class people feel better if they boarded seeing all the J's enjoying their welcome drink in a sip cup! God I wish this would happen.
No, because they'd still have to pour it into the cup, which is when 80% of my spills occur.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
No, because they'd still have to pour it into the cup, which is when 80% of my spills occur.
If you had water all you'd have to worry about is being a little damp for a bit :P
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
When it was launched, PY was more like a "J minus" product. With the recent changes, it is now a "Y plus" type product.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
When it was launched, PY was more like a "J minus" product. With the recent changes, it is now a "Y plus" type product.
I agree, but you can't blame AC for that. The majority of the flying public will not pay 10 cents more for comfort and are not buy PY, even at the low prices AC is selling the cabin for. Just look at FT members, loving the low fares say to Asia, then complaining on another thread about the seats.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I agree, but you can't blame AC for that. The majority of the flying public will not pay 10 cents more for comfort and are not buy PY, even at the low prices AC is selling the cabin for. Just look at FT members, loving the low fares say to Asia, then complaining on another thread about the seats.
Okay, paddle flawed thoughts is one. Say stuff like that without merits is another.

Low Prices?
What low prices, of course, in the SE MM reality distortion field i guess paying double is "low"

There was nothing to love it, i didnt ask for it ,its there, while PY was nearly 3X more.
10%? More like 100-120% more for TPAC routes.Oh and i just did a random matrix search and simply confirms the near double price.

Tripled in some cases.

How cheap of these entitled, dirty peasants eh?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jun 3, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse

Apparently you don't fly to Japan with AC as often as some others here.

Sometime late 2015, AC raised the prices for J and PE significantly and I posted this a few times in other threads.

Perhaps to encourage buyers, PE pricing was in the $1,700-$1,850 range. It then jumped 50-75%. AC also raised the price of J (lowest) and unless you can or want to stay 7 days and pay $3,232, it is easily $700-$1000 more depending on the dates.

So, contrary to your "all Canadians are cheap" assumptions and won't pay, AC knows something you don't and has raised prices because they can sell those seats. Further, based on the increased number of Americans AC is pulling on on AC3/4 - quite a few of whom have not experienced PE on their own U.S. carriers, PE on AC might be awesome for them and the right price and well, not coach.

Since AC is apparently filling the smaller J cabin on the 788s to NRT, they can now charge whatever they want.

I have flown on many international AC flights where PE sat empty, or had 6 or 8 pax, or at most, 14 of 21. I flew one TPAC where there were only 2, and another, after the Tokyo marathon, where they were so oversold in Y, that some pax were bumped to PE and some others were bumped to J.

just saying....
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:49 am

Sorry, I'm genuinely trying but I must be misunderstanding what you're saying because it seems to be two opposite things?

Originally Posted by 24left
So, contrary to your "all Canadians are cheap" assumptions and won't pay, AC knows something you don't and has raised prices because they can sell those seats. Further, based on the increased number of Americans AC is pulling on on AC3/4 - quite a few of whom have not experienced PE on their own U.S. carriers, PE on AC might be awesome for them and the right price and well, not coach.

Since AC is apparently filling the smaller J cabin on the 788s to NRT, they can now charge whatever they want.
So, PY is doing very well and the seats are being filled.

I have flown on many international AC flights where PE sat empty, or had 6 or 8 pax, or at most, 14 of 21. I flew one TPAC where there were only 2, and another, after the Tokyo marathon, where they were so oversold in Y, that some pax were bumped to PE and some others were bumped to J.
So, PY is doing very poorly because the seats are not being filled?

I must be missing something.

In my experience (and probably this is route dependent, I don't often fly TPAC), the PY cabin is rarely full and sometimes shockingly empty, which makes me worry that AC may abandon it. I'm not sure if that gels with your experience or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.