Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I quickly tire of online judgments passed by those who believe if people simply weren't so cheap/fat/out of shape, all their flying discomforts would magically disappear.
I stopped reading the article around "my knees hit the seat in front of me".

I'd sooner say "if people weren't so tall" than fat or out of shape.

But I think "I wanted more legroom but all those seats were sold out" would be much more prominent in the article of that were the case.

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Maybe the reason many infrequent flier pax don't buy preferred seats is that they assume the most basic option will not be something that may cause actual physical pain. Kind of like how when I go to the grocery store even if I buy the absolute cheapest bread I don't expect to find mold on it.
But that's the difference. I'm 5'11. Alice is 6'5. Bob is 4'3. We can all eat the same bread, but we can't all sit in the same seat, unless they can all fit Alice.

And making every seat comfortable for someone 6'5 and 500 pounds is not economical, because most people need a small fraction of that space.

And since space seems to be more of a limiting factor than weight on most flights these days, airlines are trying to do what they can with things like preferred seats, E+, PY, etc.

In the context of a 777, maybe a few rows of 3-3-3 Y with 35 inch pitch, sold as a surcharge such that it is exactly (35/31) * (10/9) = 1.26x the regular fare (i.e. you buy a Y fare, and get charged an additional 26% for the seat)? Same Y service, and you're literally paying for the extra space, and nothing more?
Old May 30, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Maybe the reason many infrequent flier pax don't buy preferred seats is that they assume the most basic option will not be something that may cause actual physical pain.
Excellent post, and very well put. Your 'bread' analogy is bang-on.

There's a consumer expectation - quite justifiably - that the standard Y product offered by an airline should suffice for safety, an "acceptable" level of comfort, and service. That's why, IMO, most fliers don't buy up to extra legroom seats.

In most cases on AC, the standard Y product meets these basic requirements (and in fact surpasses them).

In some, though, it doesn't. (Ie Rouge 319s, for many body types)

One should have to pay extra if you want extra comfort, extra legroom, or enhanced service. But if you're a normal-sized individual, there should be no expectation or requirement that one should have to pay a premium to avoid physical discomfort (or worse).

It's not a question of people being too cheap or having overly lofty expectations.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:20 pm

Little off-topic but my goodness what is the average IQ of people commenting in the CBC article? They all blame Air Canada ("This is why I fly westjet!" even though they have similar or less space) or Stephen Harper or Justin Trudeau.

Wait till they see Air Asia's leg room.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by spark787
Its the same as rouge

but yes, love the comments
Old May 30, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
If our 6'2" protagonist had managed to secure a preferred seat, or even something in PY, it would have been someone else sitting in Y-. It is impossible for 300 people to upgrade or buy preferred seats.

On that 777HD aka slave ship, how many in Y are "experienced" travellers and how many are VBITs? They are buying travel from a "reputable" company, the national brand. As others have pointed out, when you buy a seat, you perhaps do not expect comfort, but neither do you expect your health will be put in danger.
--
13F
Old May 30, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Little off-topic but my goodness what is the average IQ of people commenting in the CBC article? They all blame Air Canada ("This is why I fly westjet!" even though they have similar or less space) or Stephen Harper or Justin Trudeau.

It's amazing isn't it? Every AC article on CBC attracts this kind of commenting:
  • AC-we're not happy till you're not happy
  • I drive everywhere I want to go
  • I flew AC once 20 years ago, never again
  • Sunwing is better than AC since they serve champagne in economy
Old May 30, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by mapleg
It's amazing isn't it? Every AC article on CBC attracts this kind of commenting:
  • AC-we're not happy till you're not happy
  • I drive everywhere I want to go
  • I flew AC once 20 years ago, never again
  • Sunwing is better than AC since they serve champagne in economy
Every news article on CBC has ridiculously terrible comments. It is not at all limited to articles about AC
Old May 30, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by montezume
Every news article on CBC has ridiculously terrible comments. It is not at all limited to articles about AC
Apparently they are going to a system where you have to post under your real name. That ought to cut the chatter down.

(Let's hope FF never does that, haha)
Old May 30, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I stopped reading the article around "my knees hit the seat in front of me".

I'd sooner say "if people weren't so tall" than fat or out of shape.

But I think "I wanted more legroom but all those seats were sold out" would be much more prominent in the article of that were the case.

But that's the difference. I'm 5'11. Alice is 6'5. Bob is 4'3. We can all eat the same bread, but we can't all sit in the same seat, unless they can all fit Alice.

And making every seat comfortable for someone 6'5 and 500 pounds is not economical, because most people need a small fraction of that space.

And since space seems to be more of a limiting factor than weight on most flights these days, airlines are trying to do what they can with things like preferred seats, E+, PY, etc.

In the context of a 777, maybe a few rows of 3-3-3 Y with 35 inch pitch, sold as a surcharge such that it is exactly (35/31) * (10/9) = 1.26x the regular fare (i.e. you buy a Y fare, and get charged an additional 26% for the seat)? Same Y service, and you're literally paying for the extra space, and nothing more?
In the case of tall people, the solution probably is that simple: give them preferred seats for free. Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before this is regulated into place - both for the wellbeing of the tall person and the poor person stuck in front of him.

Granted, that would require AC giving up hypothetical revenue, and potentially upsetting some 5'6 SE who thinks he's entitled to that seat.

As for paying more for more space, that would work if price actually had anything to do with space. It doesn't. Right now a person flying on a Flex fate may already be paying 36% more than the Tango paying pax next to him. What does he get for it? Nada.

So... how do you propose implementing it? Tango + 26% or fare paid + 26%. Point being - what is the value of the actual space occupied: Tango or Flex? I suspect it's neither. Space is but one factor among many.

At the end of the day, airlines need to be careful about pushing pax too far. There is no better way to attract regulation than to upset the general public. We've already seen it in action in our economy (remember the pledge to address the pricing discrepancy between the US and Canada)?
Old May 30, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yulred
...and potentially upsetting some 5'6 SE who thinks he's entitled to that seat.
Idea for a new SE qualification requirement: must by >6'0" tall.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Idea for a new SE qualification requirement: must by >6'0" tall.
Don't give them any ideas
Old May 30, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Hopefully this guy and his lawyers find some good experts and take AC for a ride in a frivolous lawsuit with a nice settlement
In this country, we can only dispense justice vs greedy corporations one settlement at a time
Dream on. It takes money to finance the type of litigation you wish for. You don't work for free, nor do talented litigators. Why do you describe AC as greedy? AC is an inanimate object, an entity. It is the shareholders who may be greedy. Blame the pensioners and mutual fund investors who want the high ROI. Better yet, have a look at Tysan Holdings. Nice Chinese company......

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Perhaps the better question is, when Y seats get down to 27" x 16" - and let's not pretend that's not happening eventually - what percentage of passengers have to be injured, and to what extent, before it does become a matter for airline regulators?
It will not happen. IMPOSSIBLE. 28 inches is about as low as it goes without safety being compromised. Spirit, Air Asia, Monarch and Thompson are at 28

What about air asia's leg room? It isn't that bad, I recenty had a few flights with them, and prefer FD to WE. Thai Smile is TG's version of Rouge, except it's worse. It's not worth the higher cost. And therein lies the beauty of Air Asia. I don't mind the leg room because it's never more than a 90 minute flight and once I pay all the extras, I am still around $100 or less for a flight. This is a significantly better value proposition than AC. AC gives me the cramped experience for 3-4X the FD fare and all the negatives associated with AC.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Unfair IMO. The fact that a fraction of the pax on any given long-haul flight have access to a little more legroom doesn't diminish the fact that there *may* be a medical risk to sitting in a confined seat. Had this guy paid to sit in a preferred seat or PY or J, someone else would be sitting in that cramped Y seat and risk injury.
Not necessarily. If this risk of injury was high enough and people valued not injuring themselves highly enough, that risky seat would be EMPTY.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Some Keytake aways from the pro-AC side.
1. Poor people have no rights, therefore deserves to be treated like cattle
2. Government should not do its job and set basic standards to avoid potential safety issue with smaller seats and less legrooms. Because this way we should open doors to all illict drugs(Oh wait, I just entered Conservative paradox )
3. AC should be able to do whatever it wants, as long as people is willing to pay for it.
(Coming soon, on the wing seats for $100- Hey I mean if he only paid $100, he deserves to be treated like animal)
4. Every airline uses 3-4-3 and horrid seats with trash legrooms, I mean as long as you ignore JAL, Cathay, Delta, Jet Blue, EVA, Singapore......................
5. PY is only slightly more on Y pricing
6. Everyone seated in Y would wanted to pay less for less. (Unlike United , AA's economy + )
7. Bulkhead seat is actually comfortable.

IMO, There should be warning labels on AC's Y POS
"Do you have ____________ health issue, if so, the new horrid trash seats on our 777 may cause________,________________,______________"

I am going to make a prediction here: Superior Y product is going to win long term.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Excellent post, and very well put. Your 'bread' analogy is bang-on.
Except people aren't all the same height/width, which means they don't need the "same bread".

So it's actually quite a poor analogy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.