Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

You think if they could fit 100 people at $500 each in the same space as 200 people at $250 each. They'd go for the latter?

No. The fewer the people, the lower the costs to the airline. Fewer meals, drinks, and FAs.
Incorrect. The latter approach would be preferred because it mitigates the risk of a downturn, and promises higher profitability in an upturn. The costs associated with it are incremental, which is why it's so popular.

It would, frankly, be silly not to aim for maximum flexibility. The denser configuration is far, far superior. Using your example, in a low demand situation, you would only be able to sell 100 seats for $250. On a HD plane, you can sell 100 seats for $250 and 100 for $125. Which makes more sense/money?

The problem now is that it may be pushing it to far. Democratic governments represent the people, and when you push the latter around, regulation follows.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I actually agree with you on this.

There is nothing wrong with maximizing profit. If passengers are willing to pay $90 for standing room only, they should not be whining about it while forking over their CC.
Why should cruise ships be required to carry enough life rafts for their occupants? If people want to pay less and risk drowning in the case of an encounter with Leonardo DiCaprio and an iceberg, they should not be whining about it while forking over their dollars.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yulred

The problem now is that it may be pushing it to far. Democratic governments represent the people, and when you push the latter around, regulation follows.
I'm sorry, but what government has stepped into deal with cramped seats?

Cite please. I'd be most curious to know.

And let's be frank, the Canadian government would never step in to deal with this. Their politicians fly in J
Old May 30, 2016, 10:51 am

I'm sorry, but what government has stepped into deal with cramped seats?

Cite please. I'd be most curious to know.

And let's be frank, the Canadian government would never step in to deal with this. Their politicians fly in J
He never said that government has dealt with it, only that if things keep pushing in this direction, it's a possibility. If a few people died and enough public outrage was generated, I would be extremely surprised if they didn't step in.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by montezume
He never said that government has dealt with it, only that if things keep pushing in this direction, it's a possibility. If a few people died and enough public outrage was generated, I would be extremely surprised if they didn't step in.
Died? Over a cramped seat? (yes, and point taken)

I remember being on a schoolbus. No seat belts and it was more cramped than on AC.

And let me be brutally clear in this case which is why it has me riled up.

Air Canada is responsible, for the large part, for my chronic back ache, and partly my employer too. I spent the first year or so in Y, and AC wrecked my back.

I don't go around whining to the media. It was my fault I didn't pay for J as my employer was too cheap to pay for J.

I am not half dead either. What should I do? Sue for damages?
Old May 30, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
ffsim - I'm actually still trying to understand your point of view. I thought I did, then I didn't, then I did, and now I don't again.

There is nothing wrong with maximizing profit. If passengers are willing to pay $90 for standing room only, they should not be whining about it while forking over their CC.

That's what FT is for
There's nothing wrong with maximizing profit. At the same time, companies shouldn't maximize profit at the expense of customer safety. montezume's life raft example perfectly illustrates this point.

Customers shouldn't be allowed to pay $90 for standing room only because it's demonstrably unsafe. That's why airlines are forced to offer a maximum number of seats based on a regulatory body's rules.

Airlines shouldn't sell seats which are shown to cause injury.

If medical studies can demonstrate that today's typical Y seat may cause injury, airlines should be forced to rethink their minimum seat dimensions in consequence.

I hope that's clear enough.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Died? Over a cramped seat? (yes, and point taken)
I had a colleague (whom I did not know personally) who died from DVT after flying back from SYD. I believe it was on AC.

And that was before they introduced economy minus.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: TK *G
One thing to note is that the market, or the customers have allowed the existence of HD configuration. AC introduced it, and people buy it.

I pay for J and PY out of my own pocket isn't because I have too much money to throw, it is because Y is below my standard. If I can't pay for J/PY, then I don't fly.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
There's nothing wrong with maximizing profit. At the same time, companies shouldn't maximize profit at the expense of customer safety. montezume's life raft example perfectly illustrates this point.

Customers shouldn't be allowed to pay $90 for standing room only because it's demonstrably unsafe. That's why airlines are forced to offer a maximum number of seats based on a regulatory body's rules.

Airlines shouldn't sell seats which are shown to cause injury.

If medical studies can demonstrate that today's typical Y seat may cause injury, airlines should be forced to rethink their minimum seat dimensions in consequence.

I hope that's clear enough.
Ok yes, thank you for the clarification. I mean, from what I understand, the current legislation specifies that all pax must be able to egress an aircraft within 90 seconds with half of the slides functional in an emergency.

I feel that the issue of seat dimensions will never be addressed because passengers have different sizes.

What works for a 6 foot 5 individual will work for a 5 foot 4 individual but not vice versa.

As long as the Ryanair's of the world exist...AC will never have to deal with this issue.

If people start dying left right and center than AC will face heat from the government. until then...
Old May 30, 2016, 11:05 am

Ok yes, thank you for the clarification. I mean, from what I understand, the current legislation specifies that all pax must be able to egress an aircraft within 90 seconds with half of the slides functional in an emergency.

I feel that the issue of seat dimensions will never be addressed because passengers have different sizes.

What works for a 6 foot 5 individual will work for a 5 foot 4 individual but not vice versa.

As long as the Ryanair's of the world exist...AC will never have to deal with this issue.

If people start dying left right and center than AC will face heat from the government. until then...
The majority of RyanAir flights are under 4 hours. If you read the article, you would see that health problems start to occur after 4 hours.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by montezume
Why should cruise ships be required to carry enough life rafts for their occupants? If people want to pay less and risk drowning in the case of an encounter with Leonardo DiCaprio and an iceberg, they should not be whining about it while forking over their dollars.
?????? Aircraft also have the same requirement for life rafts and they don't always fly over water.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
?????? Aircraft also have the same requirement for life rafts and they don't always fly over water.
The point is both airplanes and sea vessels are mandated to carry safety equipment despite it meaning a hit to profits.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
We're going around in circles. I'm not disputing that there are enough PY and maybe even enough J to satisfy demand. I've already agreed with that. Twice now, as a matter of fact.

I'm offering that Y seats on most airlines may in fact be too tight. I'm also saying that "pay for more space" is an unacceptable alternative to offering a potentially unsafe* product.

*With the proper studies, we may actually be able to definitively determine if pax health is at risk in confined airline seats for extended periods of time.
But when you ask a passenger if they'd take one inch less to save $10, they probably would most of the time.

I consider this like the sale of cigarettes. Why is it that selling a 17" seat is unsafe, but selling a pack of cigarettes is perfectly legal, with the only restriction being an age of 18 or 19?

The science behind cigarette health is sound. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence about airplane seats.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
My apologies. I will be more careful when using such terms, even if I learned them when younger forum members were in diapers, or yet to be conceived. I will cease to even tiptoe around lofty numerical descriptors when conversing with the most exalted members of the mathematical elite as those found playing foosball at Google HQ. I will also limit my posts to being scrupulously literal, lest any sanctimonious participants choose to latch onto certain words in order to relentlessly twist their point as firmly as they can, whilst missing the point in spectacular fashion.

Thank you for putting me in my place, and for being such a gentleman about it.
Or just don't use terms that suggest "tons of extra money", when the reality is it's a small surcharge.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Air Canada is responsible, for the large part, for my chronic back ache, and partly my employer too. I spent the first year or so in Y, and AC wrecked my back.
Whoever told you this shouldn't be practising health care.

Can flying endless hours in Y exacerbate a back problem you already had? Yes, absolutely.

Can flying endless hours in Y combine with existing poor posture or muscular imbalances to be the first thing that creates noticeable symptoms of a back problem you already had? Yes, absolutely.

Do ever-shrinking Y seats mean that people with back problems have to take extra care to stretch, hydrate and medicate to fly safely? Yes, absolutely.

Did Air Canada wreck your back? Absolutely not.

If your spinal health is such that you can't survive 75K worth of flying in a Y seat, you were never going to survive 75K worth of flying in a 320 J seat, or a Studio Pod, without a similar outcome.

If your spinal health is such that you can't survive 75K worth of flying, maybe you'd be more comfortable in a job that didn't require you to spend that much time stuffed into a chair with poor lumbar support and limited options to move around and stretch.

I lost a once-in-five-years client last year because I simply couldn't hold up to the 30 hours a week of flying the job required. Not terribly different than losing a job unloading boxes in a warehouse that required lifting heavy boxes all day.

You literally just finished saying your employer was responsible for ruining your health, by requiring you to fly a ton for work, but not buying you J seats.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that every single Member of Parliament qualifies for 100K on segments alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.