Wiki Posts
Search

Phishing Aircanada site

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Phishing Aircanada site

First time I've received a phishing email pretending to be AC, but I received a very well designed email this morning for what appears to be a legitimate aeroplan booking.

The links DO NOT go to Aircanada and go to a foreign site www.cerrah.net. Both links will prompt you to enter your AE details revealing your login and passwords to the scammers.
Attached Images  
Old May 7, 2016, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
First time I've received a phishing email pretending to be AC, but I received a very well designed email this morning for what appears to be a legitimate aeroplan booking.

The links DO NOT go to Aircanada and go to a foreign site www.cerrah.net. Both links will prompt you to enter your AE details revealing your login and passwords to the scammers.
Air Canada/AP will want to hear from you. I sincerely hope you write in.

Other than the one thing that threw me off (the price), that was very very well crafted.

Did your junk mail pick this up or did it make its way to your inbox? If the latter, that's very very scary.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Noticed on my iPhone - a little puzzled as I hadn't booked anything recently. Moused over the link and saw the redirected site. Also came into an email box that is not used for AE or AC, but using the iPhone it groups all emails together, so didn't initially realize it went to a different email.

No it did not reach the Junk folders.

Good time to send these - Saturday mornings, time for the recipient to log in and check the booking and likely no one at Air Canada to likely warn users or get a message to the hosting site to remove.

I'll look for a link to report this to AC.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Poor grammar is almost always the tip-off.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YOWgary
What was so poor about it? That's one of the reasons why I called it out. The grammatical use of "welcoming you on board" is in line with the phrases used by Air Canada. (ok fine, for most airlines too, but for a Nigerian 419 scam artist that's impressive)
Old May 7, 2016, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
A key clue were the words "daily press". Tells me right away your phish friends are "offshore" in one of those countries.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Yes. A daily press. Perhaps we can get our clothes pressed so we look nice an sharp when we arrive at our destination.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
You mean like using less credits to upgrade?

If "poor grammar" meant the email was a scam, I'm not sure a single AC email would make it past the test.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

"Thanks for the purchase!"

Mostly, though, Air Canada would never just say "beverages" when they could say "a variety of fresh snacks and beverages" or take an opportunity to push Café sales.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
"Your credit card has been charged for..."
Old May 10, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Are we helping them improve the phish with this thread? =P

If they were really crafty, they could just buy/refund a ticket and steal the entire email replacing the juicy bits with links to www.pwned.aircanada.something.ng

I generally don't follow links given in emails, rather copy/pasting the pieces I need into a browser which I navigate manually. Unfortunately, some emails have "links" under the locator and such, so sometimes instead of highlighting I end up clicking. UI annoyances for sure.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:46 pm
SYM

curious what the phishers hope to get from this - toasters? Actual bookings would require providing their real identity
Old May 10, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
curious what the phishers hope to get from this - toasters? Actual bookings would require providing their real identity
Best guess? Something like "we're offering you the opportunity to upgrade to Business Class for only $50, buuuuut we'll definitely need your credit card number to process the upgrade..."
Old May 10, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SYM
Who wants to be the guinea pig and report back to us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.