Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Altitude Luggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Though I always look forward to seeing a new luggage tag design, I suspect they will be similar to this year.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC 75k
With apologies and tons of reading, I could not find a direct answer to this question. Do the tags actually DO anything?
Dont see a magstripe or anything for AC to use. Just last name and initial which would still require some detective work to figure out who they belonged to if my bag went walking.
My old Canadian Airlines tags had some code iirc, but that was over 20 years ago when I flew regularly for professional meetings, and the mind is fuzzy.
As a lowly 35k, I wonder if showing them off is akin to showing off to the world , "My Mom says I'm handsome!" or posing in my new Mustang with the smallest, most fuel efficient engine.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:23 pm

They're pretty much just for show, although if your bag was lost with AC I'm sure they could use it to trace a bag back to its owner. AFAIK most people put them on their carry on as a signal to FA's to say "don't touch my bag!"

PS - Nice to see a non-COVID question on here. It's such a change from the past few days!
flyquiet and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
With apologies and tons of reading, I could not find a direct answer to this question. Do the tags actually DO anything?
Dont see a magstripe or anything for AC to use. Just last name and initial which would still require some detective work to figure out who they belonged to if my bag went walking.
I think the only thing they do is let the occasional AC staff member know your status and perhaps save a small amount of hassle as a result.

And let other people know how important you are, of course

(Cue ​​​​​24left to say something about peacocks )
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
How does one request more tags? My dad is E50K, received two tags and one already broke. As a side note, P25K tags sure would be nice. Although I think AC has more to worry about than extra perks for their lowest tier of status.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have requested 10 luggage tags.

I'd like to sew them on in place of a pocket on all my best travel shirts. My bags aren't the important part; I am.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyztozag
How does one request more tags? My dad is E50K, received two tags and one already broke. As a side note, P25K tags sure would be nice. Although I think AC has more to worry about than extra perks for their lowest tier of status.
When I needed some new tags a few years ago (crappy glue dots ruined the tags; might even be commented on in this thread), I sent an e-mail to the SE e-mail address. Your dad could get the priority e-mail after logging in to the Altitude site and send them something.
​​​​​​
P25K got luggage tags until... A year or two ago, maybe? So AC has decided fairly recently it wasn't worthwhile.

Although some airlines are ditching them altogether - BA, for one.
bruther likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I found an old P25K card (2011) but I do not recall ever having luggage tags for P25K.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I found an old P25K card (2011) but I do not recall ever having luggage tags for P25K.
Really? I could have sworn my mother got some a couple years ago as P25K. But she and my dad have both bounced around in status for a number of years, so I could be wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
My old Canadian Airlines tags had some code iirc, but that was over 20 years ago when I flew regularly for professional meetings, and the mind is fuzzy.
As a lowly 35k, I wonder if showing them off is akin to showing off to the world , "My Mom says I'm handsome!" or posing in my new Mustang with the smallest, most fuel efficient engine.

I'd go with "My Mom says I'm handsome!"
mileageking likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Remember that E35K is still three trips to Europe in J, or nine coast-to-coast (e.g. YYZ-YVR) trips in Economy Flex, in a year. Hell of a lot more than most people... but in the status world, anyone who is below SE100K or at least 1MM is nothing special. I will say though that I've had less employees ask to see my carry-on, less "would you like to take the next flight out?" and more attentive FA's, even in J, as a P25K rather than no status.

What's wrong with fuel efficiency? I mean, it's one method of how the rich remain rich

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
When I needed some new tags a few years ago (crappy glue dots ruined the tags; might even be commented on in this thread), I sent an e-mail to the SE e-mail address. Your dad could get the priority e-mail after logging in to the Altitude site and send them something.
​​​​​​
P25K got luggage tags until... A year or two ago, maybe? So AC has decided fairly recently it wasn't worthwhile.

Although some airlines are ditching them altogether - BA, for one.
Thanks for the idea, although I'd be surprised if they reply by May. COVID-19 is definitely clogging up their mail servers and a tag request will probably be filtered to the bottom of the list.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Yeah I was P25K for half of 2015 and definitely didn't get any luggage tags, just the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.