Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Consistency in amounts of carry-on bags allowed please

Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive

Boarding for LAS on Sunday they call groups 1,2& 3 together. Then I notice on the jet bridge the lady in front of me has 4 bags ( a suitcase, a backpack, a laptop size purse and a tube containing a pop up display) and she is group 3. I told the FA and she just shrugged her shoulders,
Of course she puts all of these in the overhead and the flight is delayed as bags need to be get gate checked.

Where is the consistency, flying from SFO to YVR 2 weeks ago I had to put. my super small purse in my laptop bag before they would let me on the jet bridge yet this lady's is 2 full size bags over the limit and nothing was done.

I emailed AC and got the usual $50 discount but all I want is some consistency with the GA's
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Boarding for LAS on Sunday they call groups 1,2& 3 together. Then I notice on the jet bridge the lady in front of me has 4 bags ( a suitcase, a backpack, a laptop size purse and a tube containing a pop up display) and she is group 3. I told the FA and she just shrugged her shoulders,
Of course she puts all of these in the overhead and the flight is delayed as bags need to be get gate checked.

Where is the consistency, flying from SFO to YVR 2 weeks ago I had to put. my super small purse in my laptop bag before they would let me on the jet bridge yet this lady's is 2 full size bags over the limit and nothing was done.

I emailed AC and got the usual $50 discount but all I want is some consistency with the GA's

Wait, am I getting this right, someone else boarded with 4 bags/items and you got a shrug and $50?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: AC E75K, *G
Originally Posted by 24left
Wait, am I getting this right, someone else boarded with 4 bags/items and you got a shrug and $50?
I think OP meant someone else boarded with 4 bags/item and when he mentioned to FA the FA shrugged.

Meanwhile the last time OP travelled with 2 bag/item, was requested to gate check.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
LAS consistently disappoints. Like forcing pax to put bags that already display an "approved carry-on baggage" tag through sizers during the boarding process. Which, you know, does nothing other than slow down the boarding process.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KChu
I think OP meant someone else boarded with 4 bags/item and when he mentioned to FA the FA shrugged.

Meanwhile the last time OP travelled with 2 bag/item, was requested to gate check.

I know EXACTLY what OP meant. I was being immensely sarcastic. And there wasn't an emoji that appropriately conveyed my comment. I've also posted on the forum of the same nonsense I've seen at SRQ except it was parents of young children and each parent and child managed to board the rouge sardine with 4 large items and contract gate agents (UA?) shrugged lots.

Last edited by 24left; Apr 20, 2016 at 11:33 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AC E75K, *G
I know EXACTLY what OP meant. I was being immensely sarcastic. And there wasn't an emoji that appropriately converted my comment. I've also posted on the forum of the same nonsense I've seen at SRQ except it was parents of young children and each parent and child managed to board the rouge sardine with 4 large items and contract gate agents (UA?) shrugged lots.
Ah! Gotcha
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KChu
Ah! Gotcha
Conveyed not converted. I hate auto-correct.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Conveyed not converted. I hate auto-correct.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by ffsim
LAS consistently disappoints. Like forcing pax to put bags that already display an "approved carry-on baggage" tag through sizers during the boarding process. Which, you know, does nothing other than slow down the boarding process.
And how used are the approved carry-on-baggage Tags? Time to get oversize/WT bags off of the planes.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
And how used are the approved carry-on-baggage Tags? Time to get oversize/WT bags off of the planes.
Let me get this straight: you're suggesting that the approved carry-on baggage tags are invalid because they might be used? Seriously?

If the approved carry-on baggage tags are unsuitable for indicating that a bag is approved to be carried on, then they're completely and utterly useless. Might as well get rid of them as they'll serve absolutely no purpose.

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Let me get this straight: you're suggesting that the approved carry-on baggage tags are invalid because they might be used? Seriously?
Yes, I see a lot of approved baggage tags held on by tape. IE, pax put tag on different/larger bag.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Yes, I see a lot of approved baggage tags held on by tape. IE, pax put tag on different/larger bag.
If that's your position, read the rest of my post.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ

All I can really comment on is that SFO has been pretty strict if you're not zone 1. You definitely need to size it if it looks large.

And I don't mean zone 1 gets a free pass, I mean my bags look reasonable (and do fit in the sizers), so they just don't force me to try again in front of them.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If that's your position, read the rest of my post.
Coming back from LHR at Xmas there was a table with a stack of these tags and no staff around. Guess what flyers were doing.

Maybe they should stamp the tags like they do it India to prove it's been through some process (security there, sizer here).

End of the day, 4 bags is clearly outrageous and shouldn't be allowed unless the passenger can cram it all into two items of the prescribed size. Because I do not have an issue with someone with a small roller, a handbag, and an iPad that is clearly out so they don't spend 5 minutes getting it available while boarding <personal pet peeve>. And that wasn't the case here.

Unless it's consistently enforced people will abuse the system.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
GAs for 211 in YYC were tagging today. Announcement from SD on flight: youll notice that you may have had your carry on baggage tagged today so that we can ensure theres adequate space on the aircraft for all approved carry on. Or something to to that effect.

Nice to see.

Edit: second announcement says that bags have been tagged as under seat bags to allow more room...... she may have said that the first time but I heard it this time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.