Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Assemble Your Own Headset in J-Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2002, 1:50 pm
Cam
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM, Hilton Diamond, IEEE, PTC, CPS, CSBC, USBI

I know this is a Mickey Mouse issue in the scheme of things, but is anyone aware of any other airline that makes you assemble your own headset in business class??

It really ticks me that I have to diddle around for a few minutes with those sponge ear protectors to get them properly fitted. Yet if you give them a miss the headset is really uncomfortable.

Like I said - a Mickey Mouse issue. Appropriate perhaps for a Mickey Mouse airline? :-(
Old Dec 4, 2002, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a concern of mine in Y.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/006968.html

My last flights have had them unassembled!

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 12-04-2002).]
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:39 pm

Okay Cam and Airbus320 I'm sending out the bloodhounds.

I don't doubt the word of either of you therefore I don't understand how two forms of packaging of headsets can be alive and thriving within the Corp. If two suppliers are involved then it could be a case of the two not reading from the same page. That's my guess in way of explanation but, if accurate, should be amended asap for the sake of consistency - consistency being a word we grunts have perpetually resounding off our eardrums .

Can you fellows/gals help me out in forwarding this concern to the powers that be by giving me some details to work with? Can you provide me with the routes you are finding the unassembled ones on? Is there a pattern that is base specific, eg. only flights exiting yyz?

You have aroused by curiosity regarding this subject and I'm just as anxious as you are to hear the answer.

[This message has been edited by A Flygirl (edited 12-04-2002).]
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YOW-YWG I remember
Old Dec 4, 2002, 4:19 pm

I have experienced the do-it-yourself headsets on the following routes (mostly in J):

YYZ-EWR
YYZ-LGA
FRA-YYZ
YYZ-LHR
etc.

Incredibly irritating. It's the little things that stick in your mind, and this is one of them.

Now to say something nice: The new J service to LHR and FRA is a huge improvement. I'm looking forward to seeing the new J seating I've heard about (I think?)next year.

-Zombie-
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:06 pm

I have experienced it more and more. I find it irritating, and just another sign that AC just doesn't care. I don't buy the arugument posted in the other thread that they fall off after packaging. I have had the earpieces neatly stacked and placed between the wrapped cord.

Years ago, these little gremlins were actually a workshop for handicapped people that I volunteered with. We took pride in the product we produced.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Years ago, these little gremlins were actually a workshop for handicapped people that I volunteered with. We took pride in the product we produced.
[/B]</font>
As of about a year ago this was still the case in Edmonton - not sure which version was produced there.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:49 pm
Cam
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM, Hilton Diamond, IEEE, PTC, CPS, CSBC, USBI
How often do I get the do-it-yourself kit and what routes?

Well the majority of my routes are YVR-YYZ (about once a month) and by far the majority in the past year have been do-it-yourselfers.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, AA
In J - class
YYZ-GRU
GRU-YYZ
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:21 pm

Gentlemen/Ladies,

I really appreciate your answers to my inquiry and I for one am taking it seriously. Okay as a previously decribed "grunt" I don't neccesarily have earth shattering or moutain moving sway power but I do have the names of some movers and shakers and I possess the spunk to take them on. Hey what the hay; I'm unionized. If I speak my mind can the fire me? Not.

From the replies given so far is appears yyz is the major culprit/source of the problem. Also, it doesn't see to be route specific. Not prevelent in overseas, domestic or transborder flights but a combination of the three.

Please keep giving me ammunition to report to headquarters. I might be naive to the problem but now that you've removeds the gauze from my eyes I have a gut reaction that internal quality control and those other fancy titled departments are unaware of this situation.

So lets educate them!

[This message has been edited by A Flygirl (edited 12-04-2002).] Because I'm human therefore I make mistakes (just to prove my evolutionary origin.

[This message has been edited by A Flygirl (edited 12-04-2002).]
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:22 pm

I ahve also had them but they don't seem to be on one paticular route although the most
recent ones I have gotten have both been flights out of YVR
Old Dec 4, 2002, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I've had to do the assemble the headset thing almost everytime I've flown out of Ottawa on AC since October 2001!!! Very very annoying!! They include 3 YOW-YVR and 1 YOW-YYC flights within the past year. I also had to do it on the two YYZ-YYC flights taken this past summer. Flights from YYC seems to be ok.

When I first saw this last October, I thought it must have cost saving measures taken by AC! A Flygirl, can you please confirm this?
Old Dec 5, 2002, 4:08 am

LHR-YYZ
YYZ-LHR

What was even more amusing on the YYZ-LHR flight was that for the first half hour of the entertainment programme i.e. news etc., the French soundtrack came out of the left earpiece and the English soundtrack out of the right one.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 8:25 am

Hey A Flygirl! Thanks for the comments.

I am surprised that this wasn't taken into account or addressed when launching the new international J class product recently. Since they have revamped a lot of things in J (at least on select routes so far) you would think this would be one item that could improve easily.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:51 pm

I've started putting the feelers out. flying student was correct - it started as a cost cutting measure. It apparently cost one penny more per headset to have a gremlin put the fresh earpieces on. Someone in the ivory tower worked out the calculations and guesstimated that $200,000.00 could be saved by converting this task to "do it yourself". Poof - and it was done. Now to address why some headsets are presented to you pre-assembled and not on other flights I couldn't get an explanation but I'll keep digging.

A yyz Manager (not in Inflight), who agrees that this innovation is pushing the pencil too far, has volunteered to go to bat on this issue. He is prepared to take your complaints up the corporate ladder with the intention of having this practice abolished because he agrees with your viewpoint.

I have one other card up my sleeve, one other source of approach that I will discuss this with, and hopefully, between the two avenues of approach change can be brought about.

I'll keep you posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.