FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YYZ T1 Gate and Terminal Capacity Issues. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1756200-yyz-t1-gate-terminal-capacity-issues.html)

WR Cage Mar 29, 2016 4:39 pm

YYZ T1 Gate and Terminal Capacity Issues.

On October 23, 2013 AC and GTAA signed a comprehensive commercial agreement covering operations at T1. The commercial agreement covered a number of areas including fees paid by AC to GTAA, commitment to enhance customer facilities, and commitment that GTAA give AC a multi-year gate plan that kept pace with AC growth plans and ensured AC growth is not constrained by T1 facilities.

As AC FTers that frequent YYZ know, with the expansion of mainline international flights plus the introduction of Rouge, gate and terminal space is at or nearing capacity. Plus there are over capacity issues at the Customs Halls and pre-board security checkpoints.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, yesterday Sunwing announced it is moving from T1 to T3 effective May 1 , 2016. Here is the press release:

TORONTO, ON--(Marketwired - March 24, 2016) - Sunwing Airlines' flights and operations will be moving from Toronto Pearson International Airport's Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 during the morning of May 1, 2016. The move by the airline is expected to offer passengers an even more enjoyable start to their vacation as they will be able to take advantage of a host of new facilities and family-friendly services as they set off. Smaller than Terminal 1, there is less walking required for passengers departing from Terminal 3, making airport processes and operations even easier, especially for families with young children or seniors.

In addition, from June 2016 onwards, the current Terminal 3 Enhancement Project will see the terminal begin to transform into the first of its kind in North America; offering an extensive duty free section, a wide range of leading coffee shops, newsstand and convenience stores, fast-food outlets and sit-down restaurants. Passengers will also be able to take advantage of banking services, free Wi-Fi and a health product kiosk.

The move was welcomed by President of Sunwing Airlines, Mark Williams, who commented: "This is an exciting time for Sunwing Airlines to find a new home within Terminal 3. Considering the expansive upgrades and ease of access granted by the Terminal 3 Enhancement Project, we are confident that this transition will prove to be a convenient choice for our passengers."
Along with enhanced facilities in the terminal, passengers can also reach Terminal 3 easily. There is an easy to navigate on-site parking garage with spaces for 3,400 vehicles. The terminal is also connected to the Terminal Link train in Terminal 1, allowing passengers to access the Union-Pearson Express train downtown as well as connecting lines to Mississauga Transit, Brampton Transit and Go Transit. The TTC Airport Rocket also stops frequently at Terminal 3 and provides an express bus to Kipling Subway Station.

Also, in conjunction with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, Sunwing Airlines will roll out a comprehensive plan to inform and assist all passengers during the transition, making the move easier for all passengers.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...rt-2109118.htm

While relocating Sunwing doesn't sound like a big deal for AC pax, this does address gate constraints in the short term.

The longer term, moving Sunwing from T1 to T3 signals a major shift in the GTAA master plan, with AC and T1 pax being the major beneficiaries of the major shift. The 2004 master plan contemplates that as T3 fills up, airlines would have moved over to T1 and the infield terminal reactivated with the busing operation that has been shuttered for about 10 years. Based on the GTAA master plan and the traffic increase at T3, I expected at some point that Air Transat would relocate to T1 with the Infield Terminal becoming a charter terminal. This would have negatively impacted AC pax at the Canada Customs Hall and the Pre-board Security Checkpoint.It also introduced the possibility that Ac or other Star Alliance flights would be gated at the Infield Terminal.

Looking at the past winter season, I predict that T3 will have both gate and terminal facility capacity constraints. The major players at T3 will either have to move flight operations outside of peak times or accept a move over to the Infield terminal.

The loser in this airline terminal shuffle is clearly WS. Their YYZ terminal just got a bunch busier, and if they don't sign a similar comprehensive commercial agreement with the GTAA, WS flights could be spread out further to the main terminal, T3 Satelite and the Infield Terminal gates.

Absolute Mar 29, 2016 6:00 pm

This is great news, both for AC as well as other *A carriers. I'm a big fan of keeping T1 as an exclusive *A terminal - it's something I wish would be replicated at more airports, especially in the USA.

Originally Posted by WR Cage (Post 26406316)
The 2004 master plan contemplates that as T3 fills up, airlines would have moved over to T1 and the infield terminal reactivated with the busing operation that has been shuttered for about 10 years.

Just to clarify, the infield terminal has been quite busy the last few years - mind you, not with RapidAir flights, but it's used on average every 1-2 weeks for passenger flights, as well as a cargo plane stand.

Mind you, there are 2-3 aircraft that are almost permanent fixtures around it at gates, of which at least one of them can't fly, and one is a 40-year old former passenger plane that has been converted to a cargo hauler. It does look like it's been shuttered, but I was surprised to find out how active it and the bussing operation still is.

Most recently, it was the terminal used for the Syrian refugee arrivals, as their Welcome to Canada disembarkation point.

laidback71 Mar 29, 2016 6:27 pm

The last master plan had another pier being built by now, with a couple of more down the road. Any idea when pier G will get started?

Adam Smith Mar 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the detailed and insightful post, WR Cage.

Glad to see AC being proactive on this. Getting on a bus to the infield terminal would be a major knock against connecting through YYZ, or even flying AC, for me.

Absolute Mar 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by laidback71 (Post 26406675)
The last master plan had another pier being built by now, with a couple of more down the road. Any idea when pier G will get started?

It looks like the next big project may be swapping Transborder Immigration/Customs and Security, according to the 2014 AR:

The Terminal 1 improvement project addresses a regulatory requirement that relocates passenger security screening in advance of United States customs and immigration processing. This project is scheduled to be completed during the second quarter of 2016.
Really interesting to read the master plan, hadn't done that till now. Looks like the original plan anticipated Pier G would be 2014, Pier H would be 2020, Pier I was going to be reviewed, due to the incredible walking distance. Pier G would also mean removing the remote stand for F though... decreasing the TB capacity during construction.

Pier H was actually meant to bring some T3 carriers back to T1, when T3 reaches capacity.

http://i68.tinypic.com/335bcpx.png

6.4.3 Terminal 1 Pier G

The next phase of terminal capacity expansion will be the further development of Terminal 1. This is currently projected to be required by 2014 and will involve construction of an additional pier (Pier G) and may include some limited expansion at the east end of the main processor building.

A new approach to operating Terminal 1 is being considered with the planned addition of Pier G into the Terminal 1 inventory. Prior to this point, both Piers E and F have handled a mix of sectors. For example, Hammerhead F has been operated as an international facility, while the neck of the Pier has accommodated transborder operations.

Once Pier G opens, with some facility modifications, it would be possible to accommodate domestic growth on Pier F gates and accommodate international traffic further down the pier.

Allowing domestic flights on Pier F will displace transborder demand to Pier G, allowing it to operate as a pure transborder pier. Pier F would also remain available to transborder flights during peak transborder periods. Although this may require facility alterations in Pier F, it has the benefit of reducing the required number of additional gates associated with Pier G by increasing the utilization of Pier F gates. Pier G may also be sized to accommodate the transborder commuter aircraft currently operating out of the Terminal 1 Satellite.

One of the key drivers of the complexity, and thus cost, of Pier G is the physical separation required between the arriving and departing transborder passengers. Changes in U.S. regulations regarding in- transit operations at U.S. airports since September 11, 2001 require that all international passengers arriving in the U.S. be cleared by U.S. CBP at their point of entry.
http://i65.tinypic.com/5n4ot1.png

However, now it looks like it won't be until past 2019, based on their 2014 Annual Report that highlighted the current work under way:

Terminal 1 Enhancement Project – a multi-project construction program, unfolding between 2014 and 2019, to further enhance Terminal 1 (opened a decade ago) with added baggage-handling facilities and other design changes to improve passenger flow.
The cost of the new pier is around 250 million according to a GTAA employee, and additionally they would like to build a link between T1 and T3... airside. However, that would remove some of the remote parking between the terminals, which they're using to avoid Tier G.

jbb Mar 29, 2016 9:07 pm

I've been wondering when pier G would be built too. I found it surprising that they went back to the horrible IFT and the T3 B Expansion gates instead of going ahead with Pier G considering it was part of their master plan to have it built by now.

Transpacificflyer Mar 29, 2016 9:12 pm

I don't see how West Jet is a loser with this change. It is more likely to gain because it will continue to serve the airlines who are in T3. The departure of Sun Wing has minimal benefit for Ac for the simple reason that Sun Wing's arrivals and departures are at off peak hours. Who knows if Sun Wing will even be around in a couple years. The same for Air Transat.

AC's big issue is the long distances to be covered, between connecting flights. The trek to E from a domestic arrival is one of the worst in the *A network.The long walk to customs & immigration every time I arrive is obnoxious.

What Ac has done and I believe it to be prudent,is to build up its regional hubs by transferring the emphasis on some routes to YVR and YUL.

entropy Mar 29, 2016 9:34 pm

It seems like its long past time they start working on G, no?

at > 40M pax a year, that's a ton of "AIF"'s being overcharged and they should easily be able to afford construction (even though I doubt it'll be 250M, more like a billion).

I don't see the point of building an airside link between 1 and 3, as long as star is all in 1, the 1-3 airside link would be a waste of money, and if its airside, what is it? US-US? CAN-CAN?

D582 Mar 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute (Post 26407215)
It looks like the next big project may be swapping Transborder Immigration/Customs and Security, according to the 2014 AR:

That's almost finished actually. They are building a new security area in place of check-in aisles 9-11. Not sure what will happen to the existing checkpoint area

Antonio8069 Mar 30, 2016 5:06 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 26407371)
at > 40M pax a year, that's a ton of "AIF"'s being overcharged and they should easily be able to afford construction (even though I doubt it'll be 250M, more like a billion).

Excellent point. I did some research into YEG when they boosted their AIF and there is simply no relationship between AIFs and capital spending by the airport authority.

What about the US? I have also looked at EWR, and its governance is weak at best. Any models? SFO?

ACYYZ/SD Mar 30, 2016 5:28 am

Also noticed that Jet Airways has moved to T-3 concurrent with the shifting/closure of their scissors hub from BRU>AMS effective March 26th, also the day on which Brussels Airlines was to have launched their inaugural BRU>YYZ
service - delayed until at least the first week of April.

entropy Mar 30, 2016 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 26408522)
Excellent point. I did some research into YEG when they boosted their AIF and there is simply no relationship between AIFs and capital spending by the airport authority.

What about the US? I have also looked at EWR, and its governance is weak at best. Any models? SFO?

I think airports in general tend to be a cash grab, and are likely corrupt. People pay the fees and don't really notice in the fine print because on a $1000 ticket they don't add up to much but they are far higher than they should/need to be. And then the airports turn around and spend it on projects that are overpriced, and who knows what is going on in the background.

Its all "other people's money", so sure, build that expensive terminal with ceilings twice as high as they need to be. (and don't forget you have to heat/cool that bigger volume of air!). I think they'd do better to build the new terminal in a style that's "simpler" and cleaner like YOW, that kind of design should be cheaper to build and maintain than the gigantic halls of YYZ.

mikeymikd Mar 30, 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 26408799)
I think airports in general tend to be a cash grab, and are likely corrupt. People pay the fees and don't really notice in the fine print because on a $1000 ticket they don't add up to much but they are far higher than they should/need to be. And then the airports turn around and spend it on projects that are overpriced, and who knows what is going on in the background.

Its all "other people's money", so sure, build that expensive terminal with ceilings twice as high as they need to be. (and don't forget you have to heat/cool that bigger volume of air!). I think they'd do better to build the new terminal in a style that's "simpler" and cleaner like YOW, that kind of design should be cheaper to build and maintain than the gigantic halls of YYZ.

I cannot agree more. They act like little fiefdoms with no oversight.

I don't want to see Soviet era airports, but something in the middle would be reasonable.

yyzmonkey Mar 30, 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 26407298)
I don't see how West Jet is a loser with this change.

AC has been complaining about Sunwing and its operation at T1 for a long time - mostly due to the latters inconsistency when it comes to arrival/departure time and associated aircraft movements on/off the gates.

As of May 1, this becomes WestJet's problem to deal with. Gating will become an issue with Sunwing's early morning departures displacing WestJet's head starts until they leave.

WildcatYXU Mar 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute (Post 26406588)
This is great news, both for AC as well as other *A carriers. I'm a big fan of keeping T1 as an exclusive *A terminal - it's something I wish would be replicated at more airports, especially in the USA.

Actually, T1 still won't be an exclusive *A terminal, even after WG moves out. While EK and ET don't have too many flights among them, they are present.