Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with cancellation policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Not necessarily as OP said they bought their ticket in Sept. and the ETA notice only was posted on ac.com mid-Sept.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/150917.html
If you would go back to the thread earlier you'll see this is about needing a visa, not about ETA.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not necessarily as OP said they bought their ticket in Sept. and the ETA notice only was posted on ac.com mid-Sept.

I just had this discussion with someone at work. Indian citizen, H-1B visa, but doesn't want to go to Canada because a visa is required.

This has nothing to do with an eTA.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

OP is an Indian national. Accoding to TIMATIC, Canada requires a visa even to transit. An eTA won't help him.

Given the number of Indian nationals on the West Coast of the US, best to fly either through EWR (non-stop) or any number of routes TPAC connecting onward to India, unless one wants to deal with the additional visa requirement.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by sktnyc
I carry an Indian passport.

This is a new rule effective since just two weeks? I booked the tickets in sep, and the email confirmation from orbitz doesn't say anything about visa requirements. I wish orbitz or aircanada had send out an email a month or so in advance, as a reminder.

I booked with EY using aa miles. AC rep said my only option is to cancel.
You are not eligible to apply for an eTA.

Indian nationals require a visa to transit or visit Canada.

eTA is only for nationals of those countries who do not normally require a visa to transit or visit Canada. There are a few exceptions for nationals of certain countries which normally require a visa to transit Canada without one but these are not applicable to Indian nationals.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Yes, looks like eta doesn't apply for me. Had no idea Indian nationals always required visa to transit thru Canada.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by sktnyc
Feeling pretty stupid. I had no idea a visa is required for transiting thru Canada. I reached the airport this morning at 5.30a to check in for my flight to India via YYZ. And the agent said I cannot board the flight.
What was the scheduled departure of your SFO-YYZ flight?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

It was last Thu, 7.30a

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.