Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Going to have my first YVR ITD OSS in about 15 hours. Sounds like an underwhelming process? Scrolling quickly through this thread, looks like you still use the regular NEXUS machines? Anyone have any experiences with being over their duty-free limits and doing OSS at YVR? For the second time this month, I'm with someone who has more wine than is permitted, although only 5 bottles over instead of 15 this time

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 31, 2019 at 8:35 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That will never happen..
I would never say never, but extremely unlikely. The need for the security check is driven by the US so up to them to change. Canadian airports would be more than happy to accommodate.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
You all know what I know.
AC MLL agent told me on the 26th that all the construction is work a walkway to replace the bus, and expected to be open in the summer. So we'll see.
JimInOhio and jasdou like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Going to have my first YVR ITD OSS in about 15 hours. Sounds like an underwhelming process? Scrolling quickly through this thread, looks like you still use the regular NEXUS machines? Anyone have any experiences with being over their duty-free limits and doing OSS at YVR? For the second time this month, I'm with someone who has more wine than is permitted, although only 5 bottles over instead of 15 this time
OSS YVR is a bit of a dance...but it works

down the stairs and through to the Nexus kiosks. Edit: The Nexus kiosk have been moved from the far left (looking straight from the stairs) to the right, to be closer to the OSS customs booths

Then you double back to a small bank of customs officers, go to the bus, they scan your BP

They seem to go every 5-10 minutes depending on how busy they are. After a 5 minute ride, you end up at an empty gate a stones throw from the MLL

Compared to the old way....this is (in context) haven on earth
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Originally Posted by lcohen999
OSS YVR is a bit of a dance...but it works

down the stairs and through to the Nexus kiosks. Edit: The Nexus kiosk have been moved from the far left (looking straight from the stairs) to the right, to be closer to the OSS customs booths

Then you double back to a small bank of customs officers, go to the bus, they scan your BP

They seem to go every 5-10 minutes depending on how busy they are. After a 5 minute ride, you end up at an empty gate a stones throw from the MLL

Compared to the old way....this is (in context) haven on earth
This is good news for @vernonc
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:04 pm

A slightly unrelated topic but did anyone read the article that NRT is starting OSS from some US bound flights

This would be great to see start to happen in Asia.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/narita...reening-trial/
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: *$ Green
A slightly unrelated topic but did anyone read the article that NRT is starting OSS from some US bound flights

This would be great to see start to happen in Asia.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/narita...reening-trial/
But NRT is hub for DL/UA though. Dunno if it would be worth it else where?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
But NRT is hub for DL/UA though. Dunno if it would be worth it else where?
I would say, generally speaking anywhere you can avoid security after a long flight is a good thing.

While this is a only a pilot...it would still be great to see. Even as efficient as HKG is, given the common delays AC has, those 10 minutes can be very useful.

Hell, even SYD on an intl-intl connection would be fantastic to skip security there.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I would say, generally speaking anywhere you can avoid security after a long flight is a good thing.

While this is a only a pilot...it would still be great to see. Even as efficient as HKG is, given the common delays AC has, those 10 minutes can be very useful.

Hell, even SYD on an intl-intl connection would be fantastic to skip security there.
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passenger/Pages/one-id.aspx
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passenger/Pages/one-id.aspx
It seems like a great idea but they already have a consistent ID for anywhere in the world...it is called a passport.

Also, the documentation from this is 2017, so it seems to be moving very slowly
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Can anybody provide a very specific set of directions for OSS in YUL? Having transited many times I still have no idea where it is and if I can still use Nexus, I have always just recleared domestic security. And as I don’t speak French not a single customs agent or security person claims to know what the heck I am talking about when I have asked.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ridefar
Can anybody provide a very specific set of directions for OSS in YUL? Having transited many times I still have no idea where it is and if I can still use Nexus, I have always just recleared domestic security. And as I don’t speak French not a single customs agent or security person claims to know what the heck I am talking about when I have asked.
Very easy and simple. You go down the escalators in the customs hall and follow directions for connections. There will be airport staff directing traffic, but you basically have to do a U-turn after going down the escalators. That will bring you a small customs hall for connections. There are Nexus machines available. After using the kiosk, you hand out your receipt and there will be a quick BP check and you end up in the international wing of the terminal.

The only thing I am not sure is if anything has changed since the airport has re-segregated International and Donestic gates. Last time I was there I did see some construction so they might have built a hallway for OSS passengers to go directly to Domestic instead of international.

I am connecting in YUL from the US on Wednesday and can report back.

No need to speak French by the way. Airport staff and customs officers will be fully bilingual. French is my first language but I sometimes end up interacting with them in English for several reasons.
ffsim and ridefar like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by ridefar
Also do not use the APP for boarding passes. They need your ongoing BP and mine never appears by the time I get to the front of the line. The app is way to slow in showing the next one. You can get a reprint from the AC desk before you hit the machines.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jasdou

Very easy and simple. You go down the escalators in the customs hall and follow directions for connections. There will be airport staff directing traffic, but you basically have to do a U-turn after going down the escalators. That will bring you a small customs hall for connections. There are Nexus machines available. After using the kiosk, you hand out your receipt and there will be a quick BP check and you end up in the international wing of the terminal.

The only thing I am not sure is if anything has changed since the airport has re-segregated International and Donestic gates. Last time I was there I did see some construction so they might have built a hallway for OSS passengers to go directly to Domestic instead of international.
are you saying this only currently works for international connections or can you get from the international terminal to domestic? I connect through YUL from the US to domestic fairly regularly and have always gone out and re-cleared security. Would be great to not have to! Thanks

Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've also as recently as last month done US-YUL-YHZ, and the process is as explained. Tight U-turn at the bottom of the stairs in the huge customs hall.

When I was there International / Domestic was still one space.

Apparently it is April 3 that this will change ( see: https://milesopedia.com/actualites/a...internationale )

Unclear what the effect on OSS will be.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I've also as recently as last month done US-YUL-YHZ, and the process is as explained. Tight U-turn at the bottom of the stairs in the huge customs hall.

When I was there International / Domestic was still one space.

Apparently it is April 3 that this will change ( see: https://milesopedia.com/actualites/a...internationale )

Unclear what the effect on OSS will be.
interesting, thanks all for the tip. I will have to give it a try next time! Normally I come down the stairs and go straight ahead and to the right for Nexus. I’ll keep an eye out for the u-turn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.