Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Okay, for the record, here is my experience from this afternoon:

I declared $1076 worth of goods (applicable limit of $800). My colleague declared $935 of goods (also $800 limit) and over his alcohol limit with 17 bottles of wine (i.e. 15 over). We were both waved right through.

Surely at some point they'll charge you, but I don't know at what point that is and whether they can do it up there or have to send you down. But there does seem to be an emphasis on speed of processing at those desks.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AC SE
I was connecting today in YYZ DOM-TB on AC and noticed a new partition being built in the connector between domestic and international/US gates, after the escalator but before they scan your BP to send you towards E or F gates.

Hopefully that means the OSS bus ride will be a thing of the past soon.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jasdou
I was connecting today in YYZ DOM-TB on AC and noticed a new partition being built in the connector between domestic and international/US gates, after the escalator but before they scan your BP to send you towards E or F gates.

And also hoping that the security check for DOM-TB will become obsolete.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
And also hoping that the security check for DOM-TB will become obsolete.
That will never happen.

I wonder when they're going to build a partition in YUL so they can re-segregate INTL from DOM.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That will never happen.

I wonder when they're going to build a partition in YUL so they can re-segregate INTL from DOM.
I have heard that it happened at YEG or YYC. YYC may be due to the new Int'l terminal though...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jasdou

The drywall would go all the way up if it wasn't a temporary wall, but something is happening.

Ill poke a bit in 2 hours. There must be a permit posted somewhere.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I have heard that it happened at YEG or YYC. YYC may be due to the new Int'l terminal though...
I've done DOM-TB at both of those airports in the past few months, and it required security.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
OSS at YUL -- Experience and Question

I came through YUL last Tuesday, connecting from LYS onto a YWG flight. Time from leaving my seat (once the plane door was open) to sitting in the "domestic" lounge with a cuppa was 16 minutes. I cannot think of any airport that I have been through recently where the international to domestic connection experience is anything like as good.

Now my question. Next month we will be connecting via YUL from CMN to YWG all on AC. The admtl connection guide says
  • If your airline offers the option of automatically transferring your luggage, you will be directed to the domestic departures area. (If you are not arriving from the European Union, you will first be directed to the pre-boarding screening checkpoint for connections.)
Question -- is the "pre-boarding screening checkpoint for connections" referred to here just the general YUL security, or is there a separate security checkpoint for international non EU connections such as ours?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

You all know what I know.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That will never happen.

Work is well underway at YUL to complete the new transit processing area and its inauguration will require the end of the mixed departures area. Won't be but a few more months now before transiting YUL will be even more streamlined.
canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Stanbury
I came through YUL last Tuesday, connecting from LYS onto a YWG flight. Time from leaving my seat (once the plane door was open) to sitting in the "domestic" lounge with a cuppa was 16 minutes. I cannot think of any airport that I have been through recently where the international to domestic connection experience is anything like as good.

Now my question. Next month we will be connecting via YUL from CMN to YWG all on AC. The admtl connection guide says
  • If your airline offers the option of automatically transferring your luggage, you will be directed to the domestic departures area. (If you are not arriving from the European Union, you will first be directed to the pre-boarding screening checkpoint for connections.)
Question -- is the "pre-boarding screening checkpoint for connections" referred to here just the general YUL security, or is there a separate security checkpoint for international non EU connections such as ours?
As AC809 isn't ITD nor OSS you'll have to collect any bags on the carousel, exit the CBSA area and proceed to the CATSA checkpoint on the departures level. The connection area referenced is rarely used as there are very few ITD flights that aren't OSS.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ls17031
Work is well underway at YUL to complete the new transit processing area and its inauguration will require the end of the mixed departures area. Won't be but a few more months now before transiting YUL will be even more streamlined.
Do you have any publicly-available details on this? I've been trying to piece together what all the construction work is about...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
Do you have any publicly-available details on this? I've been trying to piece together what all the construction work is about...
I haven't seen anything yet public but my employer is a key stakeholder and I've seen the blueprints and workflow diagrams. The facility will be greatly expanded compared to the existing transit lounge and will include dedicated channels for the various transit types. I'm through and around the various works daily and progress is advancing rapidly it would appear. Will the inauguration be successful remains to be seen but on paper the concept is adequate.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ls17031
I haven't seen anything yet public but my employer is a key stakeholder and I've seen the blueprints and workflow diagrams. The facility will be greatly expanded compared to the existing transit lounge and will include dedicated channels for the various transit types. I'm through and around the various works daily and progress is advancing rapidly it would appear. Will the inauguration be successful remains to be seen but on paper the concept is adequate.
Cool, thanks
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Thanks for the information -- I wasn't aware that 809 was not ITD. We have a 4 hour connection time, which should be more than adequate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.