Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by After Burner
Just connected from US thru YVR yesterday. Haven't done that for a while and was surprised to see OSS implemented. When did that happen?
I think it's been about 3 months since I did TB through YVR. It wasn't active then.

How smooth was the process. Did they have a Nexus line?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I think it's been about 3 months since I did TB through YVR. It wasn't active then.

Nexus machines were moved to the right side, rather than the left. So you come down the bill staircase, push your way thorough the crowds and there are the machines.

You then circle back to a new bank of customs to the far right wall and on the bus

You follow the track of an upside down V, kinda
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life

My one experience yesterday was very smooth. Same Nexus line as before. After doing the kiosk thing in the immigration arrival hall, pax connecting to Canada take a separate path with two (IIRC) separate customs/immigration desks. They direct you through a door behind them. The door takes you outside onto the ramp where there's a bus waiting. The bus then snakes through the bowels of YVR and takes you to the domestic terminal where there's another pax ramp that enters the building right by the MLL. The entire process took about 5 minutes from the immigration kiosk to being at the domestic gate.

But surely this is temporary. A system in which pax have to go outside in a place where it's winter 7 months of the year is not ideal.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
But surely this is temporary. A system in which pax have to go outside in a place where it's winter 7 months of the year is not ideal.
YVR has a 7 month winter?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Yes. With ice and snow and tornadoes.

Best not to come here. YYZ is much nicer in January.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yes. With ice and snow and tornadoes.

Best not to come here. YYZ is much nicer in January.
But then you miss out on all the 747s.
skybluesea, 24left and smallmj like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
If 13C and raining counts as winter.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Funny, because the one time I did the OSS bus in YYZ, it was 32 out. I'd much rather have 13

I noticed that YUL now has NEXUS machines for transit, which is awesome. YYZ didn't when I went through in May. YVR sounds like it does.

I can't wait for YUL to re-segregate DOM and INT so ITI pax don't need to clear Canadian customs. The YYZ setup is much nicer.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Wish the AC flight arriving from TPE to YVR has OSS. Currently the transfer system at YVR is horrible mostly due to security. I breezed thru customs with Nexus and then spent 30 mins on the transfer security desk where they had one screening line open (staffing issues apparently according to a Mgr), they put all liquids thru the liquid scan incl duty free bottles in sealed bags, swabbed all electronics, swabbed hands, etc. It took me one our gate to gate and thats with Nexus. And no liquids to be scanned. Same experience before on the same flight from TPE earlier this year.

AC FA said she thought that the TPE flight would have OSS shortly but apparently not on my flight this month. At this point it is more seamless to fly TPE - Asia (TYO/ICN/HKG) and then directly to YYZ then waste time at YVR. I went thru security at ICN in 5 mins or less for a transfer.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't wait for YUL to re-segregate DOM and INT so ITI pax don't need to clear Canadian customs.
This is going to actually occur? When?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc
Wish the AC flight arriving from TPE to YVR has OSS. Currently the transfer system at YVR is horrible mostly due to security. I breezed thru customs with Nexus and then spent 30 mins on the transfer security desk where they had one screening line open (staffing issues apparently according to a Mgr), they put all liquids thru the liquid scan incl duty free bottles in sealed bags, swabbed all electronics, swabbed hands, etc. It took me one our gate to gate and thats with Nexus. And no liquids to be scanned. Same experience before on the same flight from TPE earlier this year.

AC FA said she thought that the TPE flight would have OSS shortly but apparently not on my flight this month. At this point it is more seamless to fly TPE - Asia (TYO/ICN/HKG) and then directly to YYZ then waste time at YVR. I went thru security at ICN in 5 mins or less for a transfer.
With no liquids and Nexus card, could you not exit the connections security line, walk downstairs at the Canada line doors, and go through Nexus security at regular checkpoint C?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WR Cage
With no liquids and Nexus card, could you not exit the connections security line, walk downstairs at the Canada line doors, and go through Nexus security at regular checkpoint C?
Yes on hindsight. I even gate checked my duty free liquor in TPE so I would not be subject to additional screening at YVR transfer and still took too long. I figured the transfer line would move quick as there were only 10-15 people ahead of me. I did not realize that they were short staffed and would check every single laptop and all liquids. No idea why the TPE flight is not OSS - its not like TPE is high risk. Next time I will exit and just go back in thru the normal lines. So much for smooth transfers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I breezed thru customs with Nexus and then spent 30 mins on the transfer security desk where they had one screening line open (staffing issues apparently according to a Mgr), they put all liquids thru the liquid scan incl duty free bottles in sealed bags, swabbed all electronics, swabbed hands, etc. It took me one our gate to gate and thats with Nexus. And no liquids to be scanned. Same experience before on the same flight from TPE earlier this year.
Didn't we discuss this previously, IIRC?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That was my post. YUL was very proud of the mixed domestic/int'l when the new wing opened.

Add to that, there are a bunch of domestics, destined for the US (like the 630am rapidair) which always ends up at the US/Intl'l gate.

Plus, we would then not have access to the Int'l MLL, which is far, far nicer than the domestic one.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Leave and clear as a new passenger. That's pretty much my recommendation everywhere in Canada/USA for ITD.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't have a date. I'll email you.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
That was my post. YUL was very proud of the mixed domestic/int'l when the new wing opened.

Add to that, there are a bunch of domestics, destined for the US (like the 630am rapidair) which always ends up at the US/Intl'l gate.

Plus, we would then not have access to the Int'l MLL, which is far, far nicer than the domestic one.
Shocking that they don't want domestic passengers to have access to the international lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.