One Stop Security

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
The Nexus machine asks if you are over your limit or have something to declare. It isn't food specifically but it will stop you.

I know in YYZ, there is the Nexus agent you flash your card when you pass. Last time I declared food (Chicago Pizza) I was processed before going down the escalator so I just walked out as per normal
Why would I declare items that are permissible? Pizza most likely is not permissible but chocolate, candies, etc are
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Why would I declare items that are permissible? Pizza most likely is not permissible but chocolate, candies, etc are
That's not how it works. They ask you to declare food. Which chocolate is. Then they decide what's permissible.
lcohen999 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
YUL OSS - kudos

Do I like it! 15 min. from touching the gate to DOM MLL^

Last edited by run&fly; Nov 20, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's not how it works. They ask you to declare food. Which chocolate is. Then they decide what's permissible.
Yup, this. Yes to food. Tell the person what the food is. They update the computer, write on your Nexus slip and off you go.

Regardless if food is allowed or not, I would always click yes. Not worth loosing Nexus over something simple
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Recently used 'OSS' connecting US > Intl at YVR. There is no separation on the arrival hallway, after deplaning, for OSS eligible flights. If they are saying passengers from non-OSS eligible flights need to be re-screened prior to boarding their connecting flight, what prevents them from handing off their bags to OSS eligible passengers during the walk down the arrival hallway, before the security checkpoint?

I've only experienced Germany's and Switzerland's version of OSS - and there is physical separation between passengers arriving from "OSS" eligible flights - i.e. they are directed to different arrival hallways/levels.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Recently used 'OSS' connecting US > Intl at YVR. There is no separation on the arrival hallway, after deplaning, for OSS eligible flights. If they are saying passengers from non-OSS eligible flights need to be re-screened prior to boarding their connecting flight, what prevents them from handing off their bags to OSS eligible passengers during the walk down the arrival hallway, before the security checkpoint?

I've only experienced Germany's and Switzerland's version of OSS - and there is physical separation between passengers arriving from "OSS" eligible flights - i.e. they are directed to different arrival hallways/levels.
I expect there eventually will be (~5 years from now), but someone's assessed the risk and given them leniency in the meantime to use a makeshift solution.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Who are they? On the declaration card, it is specified the food categories that must be declared, it does not say food. I am referring to CBSA.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Who are they? On the declaration card, it is specified the food categories that must be declared, it does not say food. I am referring to CBSA.
On the E311 declaration card it asks for "plants and animals or their parts/products". Does animal and plant products not include food for you? What is the food you eat based on?

Quite obviously chocolate is a plant product, so it has to be declared.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Quick question. If the line is really long for OSS and I go the traditional way for Nexus, does it matter if I have a checked bag? The bag will still be transferred directly US-->Domestic so will anyone bat an eye if I leave airside without my bags? Or is the no-pickup checked bag scheme a separate program? I'm talking about YYZ here.

Last edited by wsommerv; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: Added airport.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by wsommerv
Quick question. If the line is really long for OSS and I go the traditional way for Nexus, does it matter if I have a checked bag? The bag will still be transferred directly US-->Domestic so will anyone bat an eye if I leave airside without my bags? Or is the no-pickup checked bag scheme a separate program? I'm talking about YYZ here.
No problem, it will not make a difference. The bag will still be transferred.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by D582
No problem, it will not make a difference. The bag will still be transferred.
Much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by wsommerv
The bags are always transferred regardless. It's part of the OSS initiative even though the bag transfer has been standard in Europe since before OSS. For some reason Canadian airports were traditionally not equipped to automatically screen arriving bags for transfer to domestic; with OSS that's redundant now as the bag screening done in the US or Europe is accepted. If Canada now did the customs at the final airport of destination with a red/green channel system, that would be awesome.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
New to all this. Nexus holder flying DTW-YYZ-YHZ tomorrow. So if I understand this right (I have OSS on boarding pass) - I get off plane at DTW, and if the OSS line is long, its better to just go through Nexus and enter/-re-enter security then waiting in line and going on the bus?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by BThumme
New to all this. Nexus holder flying DTW-YYZ-YHZ tomorrow. So if I understand this right (I have OSS on boarding pass) - I get off plane at DTW, and if the OSS line is long, its better to just go through Nexus and enter/-re-enter security then waiting in line and going on the bus?
Off the bus at YYZ? Yeah, it is an option. Personally, I've not had an issue with really long OSS lines, well, ever. Not in the last year, anyway. Unless you are right behind a 777 landing, even if you are in the back row of the wing'd bus form Detroit, you should just hang out upstairs.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:29 pm

It's been a long time since I've flown via YVR but today I'll be flying NRT-YVR-YEG. Does YVR have OSS? Debating whether to check my bag or not. If I check a bag would I have to reclaim in YVR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.