Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seated... with Children - in AC Business Class Pods

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blue2002
Rules for Signature Class cabin, as of July 11, 2023:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...hildren.html#/

Travelling with an infant or child in the Air Canada Signature Class cabin

• With exceptions, child restraint devices are not permitted. Call Air Canada Reservations for details.
  • When occupying a Classic or Executive Pod in Air Canada Signature Class, a child age 2 to 7 must be seated directly in front of, directly behind or in an adjacent seat facing the accompanying parent or guardian.
  • The child and the accompanying guardian will receive a mandatory briefing on the safety features of the Air Canada Signature Class cabin prior to takeoff.
  • Please contact Air Canada Reservations whenever booking travel with young children in Air Canada Signature Class to ensure the availability of appropriate seating.
Print Wikipost

Seated... with Children - in AC Business Class Pods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:41 pm

Ah sorry, just saw you are trying to avoid connections...that does make it harder. You know her needs and how she travels the best (some kids will settle in and go to sleep, others need to move around more etc), but you may find it easier to book in premium economy to keep her close by (I realize this is not as great for you!)
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sparty3

This is the first time I will be flying alone with her (she just turned 2 in Dec) and she will have her own business class seat/pod. The aircraft is the A330 and from my research looks like the new cabin configuration.

From the photos/videos I've seen... it looks like if I choose 2 seats together in the middle of the cabin it will actually be harder to lean over and take care of her bc of the design. Is that correct? From other photos it looks like if I choose one of the seats by the window and another one directly across the aisle I will not be able to see her as the seats are not aligned (which I totally get why they would do this).
You've probably seen that the A330 center seats has a movable divider so I think that makes it easier to see her when it's open. If anything, I think it makes line of sight / talking possible, but any sort of physical contact is still very difficult.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: AC35K, WS Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold
Looking to get people's thoughts on this topic. Partner and I are flying YVR-OGG in two weeks with our 1 year old toddler in J on a Boeing Max. The return flight is a red eye with a departure of approx 23:00 and I am second guessing whether we should by flying J or not. There is a 80% baby sleeps the entire flight with very minor disruptions but also mindful of the 20% she is unsettled at times and will cry for short bursts. Main reason why we booked J was due to the 2 seat configuration but going through previous threads, is flying with a baby in J an issue?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by shanediesel
is flying with a baby in J an issue?
Nope. Only flew J (when available) with our under two kid since we had her and it makes a miserable experience slightly less miserable. Enjoy it while you can get away with free lap infants. Mine is now over 2 and flying J is less of a possibility with our means/points.

And if the baby is an annoyance (We got lucky and she's been awesome on flights), I can't see why I'd feel more guilty in front of J passengers as opposed to Y.
krayZpaving and shanediesel like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Sparty3
Anyone parents out there can provide some insight.

About to book YYZ-FCO RT departing in the next few weeks (want to pull the trigger on it asap). My husband and I have flown transatlantic a few times with other airlines in the past 18 months but at the time our child was a lap infant and we were able to divide and conquer.

This is the first time I will be flying alone with her (she just turned 2 in Dec) and she will have her own business class seat/pod. The aircraft is the A330 and from my research looks like the new cabin configuration.

From the photos/videos I've seen... it looks like if I choose 2 seats together in the middle of the cabin it will actually be harder to lean over and take care of her bc of the design. Is that correct? From other photos it looks like if I choose one of the seats by the window and another one directly across the aisle I will not be able to see her as the seats are not aligned (which I totally get why they would do this).

I've never been a huge fan of AC business class, and have looked at other carriers that would require a connection (I know on Turkish we flew an older 777 and the business class design would be more suitable). I'm just trying to make things less complicated since it's my first time flying alone with her and direct seems like less headaches.

I haven't flow Premium Economy in awhile on AC (last time was LAX at least 5 years ago). Perhaps this would be better?

Any thoughts?
It's a tough one. Another carrier that offers 2-2-2 seating would be much better for both of you, as you'd still get a lie flat seat but also be right beside your daughter. However adding a connection and trundling a 2 year old through passport control waiting for another flight etc when their body clock says it's the middle of the night is not much fun.

I was looking back at photos from the first flights my daughter did when she turned 2, and reverse herringbone layouts worked OK on both AC and KLM. IFE, stuffies, and other entertainment were key. Since the YYZ FCO route is currently operated by 787s I can provide specific feedback on those cabins with young children - if you take the same row number, both window (eg 3K) and middle seat (3G), the window seat is offset slightly ahead of the middle seat, so the adult sitting in the window could peer around the shell relatively easily and look at their child sitting in the seat across the aisle and slightly behind. We found that it was a good balance of comfort but also independence as she felt more like a "big girl"....Getting up and providing comfort during the critical stages of flight or turbulence is another story though...

Safe travels with your little one!

/edit: just re-read and saw that the aircraft switches to A333 at the end of Feb. In that case, I have no specific experience but looking at the seat map on Aerolopa, it looks as if the seat offset is reversed - middle ahead of window in this case. Not sure if it's offset enough to turn around and look behind and across the aisle though.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
Looking to get people's thoughts on this topic. Partner and I are flying YVR-OGG in two weeks with our 1 year old toddler in J on a Boeing Max. The return flight is a red eye with a departure of approx 23:00 and I am second guessing whether we should by flying J or not. There is a 80% baby sleeps the entire flight with very minor disruptions but also mindful of the 20% she is unsettled at times and will cry for short bursts. Main reason why we booked J was due to the 2 seat configuration but going through previous threads, is flying with a baby in J an issue?
If you can swing it, do it. Much more comfortable in J with a baby. We flew in J on the 737 Max and the return in Y. Guess which flight was a better experience for our child and us?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Last weekend I was on a redeye 787 from YVR to YYZ and the 1 year old in the cabin cried loudly many points during the night. But what can you do.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pprrff
And if the baby is an annoyance (We got lucky and she's been awesome on flights), I can't see why I'd feel more guilty in front of J passengers as opposed to Y.
I think the expectation of "I paid to sleep" is much more reasonable when you've bought lie-flat on a 10 hour flight. If I paid $5k because I want to arrive well-rested, and I can't do that because a baby is crying the whole way, that's an issue. But I don't blame the baby (or the parents, really). I just think airlines should actually consider marketing a "sleeping zone" where you're not allowed to have a conversation, or bring in any animal, or any human young enough that you couldn't easily ban them if they're too loud (i.e. the optics of banning a 2 year old...).

But this isn't a pod, so my expectations of sleep would be substantially different.

If you want J, buy J.
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:49 pm

On the point about whether or not it’s worth flying with an infant/toddler in J versus premium economy, the service we got was worth it even though I only had about 2hrs of sleep on a flight from YVR>NRT.

Flight attendants kept checking in on us since we had two kids. Didn’t really cry much, just didn’t want to sleep. Offered to hold off on our meals until they settled down without us even asking them. Checked on the kids each time they walked by, even if it was to let us know they were still sleeping.

compare that to our return flight in Y since our original in J was cancelled, and the flight attendant wouldn’t even take our small bag of garbage that we had (random wrappers and scraps that we put into a small bag), and then just saying that there’s a garbage bun in the galley, while I was struggling to keep the kids in the seat.

part of me gets it. It’s a numbers game in terms of attendants to passenger ratio, but still, the tone they were using was quite rude .
Old May 26, 2023, 3:19 am

Does anyone know if you are booked via AP J if they will let you choose seats in PY? Was originally booked on the Max8 in J but they have since changed the schedule and have now put us in the pods on a 787. One of our kids typically uses his car seat while on the plane which I know is not permitted in the pods. There aren't really any other viable flight options so I'm kind of stuck on how to proceed My child will be 3.5 years old and does pretty well with tablet distractions etc... and it is a relatively short flight (MCO - YYZ) but PY might be a little better setup.
Old May 26, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
Originally Posted by keha
Flight attendants kept checking in on us since we had two kids. Didn’t really cry much, just didn’t want to sleep. Offered to hold off on our meals until they settled down without us even asking them. Checked on the kids each time they walked by, even if it was to let us know they were still sleeping.
100% we also recently had an exceptional experience flying in J from YVR to NRT with AC and from NRT to SFO with ANA. The additional attention and flexibility from the FAs is greatly appreciated. Our toddler is 22 months and an excellent flyer with 15 flights under her belt.

BTW are new favourite formation is last row of business one by the window and another in the aisle beside. Allows for the little one to drift between seats. Our last flight on ANA, we had rows 18-22 in J to ourselves and they let us use another seat so we had 3. Felt like flying First or Private.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:00 pm

AC has a policy that if you are flying with a toddler you need to book them in the seat right next to you. Which makes sense unless booking J in 1-2-1 pods where you are forced to book in the middle seat with the divider in the middle and no great way to walk around. Generally a good error proofing requirement but I guess doesn't work with pod seats. Good news is that I had no issue changing this on the phone.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:39 am

Exactly this

Originally Posted by Silvercity
My 3.5yr daughter has been on 6 International flights with me and her mom. Best way is to have your child in front of you or you wife and then the other sit accross. Just like a triangle.
did the same recently. The seat across the aisle wasn’t available at booking but a friendly passenger offered to switch seats. So we had the child at the window, me across the aisle and wife behind the child. Was perfect for keeping an eye on her
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by more_points
AC has a policy that if you are flying with a toddler you need to book them in the seat right next to you. Which makes sense unless booking J in 1-2-1 pods where you are forced to book in the middle seat with the divider in the middle and no great way to walk around. Generally a good error proofing requirement but I guess doesn't work with pod seats. Good news is that I had no issue changing this on the phone.
More specifically:
  • When occupying a Classic or Executive Pod in Air Canada Signature Class, a child age 2 to 7 must be seated directly in front of, directly behind or in an adjacent seat facing the accompanying parent or guardian.
I will put this in a Wiki shortly
more_points likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the expectation of "I paid to sleep" is much more reasonable when you've bought lie-flat on a 10 hour flight. If I paid $5k because I want to arrive well-rested, and I can't do that because a baby is crying the whole way, that's an issue. But I don't blame the baby (or the parents, really). I just think airlines should actually consider marketing a "sleeping zone" where you're not allowed to have a conversation, or bring in any animal, or any human young enough that you couldn't easily ban them if they're too loud (i.e. the optics of banning a 2 year old...).

But this isn't a pod, so my expectations of sleep would be substantially different.

If you want J, buy J.
the idea of a zone dedicated exclusively to sleeping is very appealing (particularly as texting on AC planes is becoming commonplace and those ‘dings’ are also sleep interrupting), however I think enforcement would be a challenge. More likely than not AC would just charge a premium fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.