Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seated... with Children - in AC Business Class Pods

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blue2002
Rules for Signature Class cabin, as of July 11, 2023:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...hildren.html#/

Travelling with an infant or child in the Air Canada Signature Class cabin

• With exceptions, child restraint devices are not permitted. Call Air Canada Reservations for details.
  • When occupying a Classic or Executive Pod in Air Canada Signature Class, a child age 2 to 7 must be seated directly in front of, directly behind or in an adjacent seat facing the accompanying parent or guardian.
  • The child and the accompanying guardian will receive a mandatory briefing on the safety features of the Air Canada Signature Class cabin prior to takeoff.
  • Please contact Air Canada Reservations whenever booking travel with young children in Air Canada Signature Class to ensure the availability of appropriate seating.
Print Wikipost

Seated... with Children - in AC Business Class Pods

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
unfortunately no lowering divider on any planes.

had a horrific red eye on a 787 with a screaming toddler unhappily alone in their pod. I believe their parents put them in the pod asleep before pushback and then at pushback the child woke in terror screaming at the top of their lungs. It didn’t stop until the FA eventually conceded and let them join the mother in her pod. The child didn’t start screaming again until the decent.

was kind of annoyed that anyone would book a red eye and a pod with a 2-3 year old. Pretty certain they were non rev as they were a large family that took the last empty seats and were split between J and PE. Pretty poor judgement for an employee.
Does AC permit nonrevs with small kids to get seats in premium cabins? Some airlines do not.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
This 100%. It's not like you will get to enjoy the pod anyway if you are constantly up and down which is much harder than a conventional seat plus you are forced to twist your neck in unnatural way to interact. The latest pods are built around the Fortress of Solitude concept and really lousy for families or even couples that enjoy each other's company. Do any of the AC metal even have the drop down divider for the centre seats? I don't think I have ever seen it. The older near flat versions were so good for families but alas are gone. Last flew that with DW and daughter on A330 from Singapore Airlines via TAP that AC picked up in 2019 before they were refurbed.
The refurbished A330 do have sliding dividers. We still prefer to have our 4 and 5 year old children directly in front of us in the pods, makes it easy to keep an eye on them and assist with an oxygen mask if the need should ever arise.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by llbean
Anyone have any experience on flying in J class pods with a toddler (age 3). We have not before and would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
My biggest concern is his ability to sit alone for take off and landing...
I've been flying in J since I was birthed in 1990. It comes down to the discipline your child. We can all have great parents but our actions dont match it sometimes at that you age. I was ok, albiet had to wear courderoys back in the 90s. BA to Emerites no issue.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Travelling with kids on signature class

We have the opportunity to travel with our 3 and 7 year old daughters on a transatlantic flight. Would they be allowed to sit with us (1 child with 1 adult) during takeoff and landing?
I'm afraid they would not weather it alone in their pods.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
No. You will need to choose an airline that has 2 seats together in business class so you can keep a close eye on your kids (LO and LH come to mind)
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
That's what I figured. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by Clairr
We have the opportunity to travel with our 3 and 7 year old daughters on a transatlantic flight. Would they be allowed to sit with us (1 child with 1 adult) during takeoff and landing?
Welcome to the Forum!
In my experience with my children, bring them some comfortable head sets and have them set up with some of the great programs for kids on the IFE and they will be so focused on that they will hardly notice the take off or landing.
https://entertainment.aircanada.com/en/kids/
On a widebody it is not that much different from a riding in a car.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...el-tips.html#/
For positioning in the cabin I recommend placing the children in front of the adults so they are easily assisted in case of the need of an oxygen mask
We generally pick the A seats
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by Clairr
My daughter flew in a pod first at age 3. We made it very exciting - she now has HER OWN seat. I agree with the previous poster that kids don't seem to mind take-off and landing once you get the onboard entertainment going. Air Canada HAD a "skyriders" kid's program and still HAS related colouring etc. that I've seen them provide in flight (this was earlier in 2022 so I'm assuming the program is still going).

I also agree it is easiest to have a parent behind (so 2A & 3A etc or 3K & 4K etc.) For someone of average to above average height it is easy to lean over to keep an eye on them. You have four in your party so you could configure so that there is a parent behind and eye contact on each opposite kid. The seating would be: Kids: 2A & 2C; Adults; 3A & 3C. That means adult in 3A is positioned to help kid in 2A but kid in 2A has a pretty direct line-of-sight to adult in 3C.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
I'll diverge a bit from the opinions above, I would criss-cross the adults and kids. I'd put 3yo in (say) 2A, 7yo in 3D, and the adults in 2D and 3A. The pods are designed to be private so the only sightline for a buckled child to see an adult is across the aisle. Being able to see a parent would provide the greatest level of assurance for children. I was able to keep my 3yo happy during a 90 minute ground delay at Newark by reading, feeding him gummy bears, passing him cars, etc, from across the aisle. I don't think I would have been able to do that if I was directly behind him.

I get the argument regarding o2 masks, but really, the odds of needing them are so low, and there would be adults in front and beside the 7yo, so it's not something I'm concerned about.

If you think your 7yo is likely to be fine without an adult in sight, then I'd book an L shape, 3 windows (kid-adult-kid) and then the other adult across from the 3yo in the D/G seat. This is the way I've got it arranged for my kids in our first post-covid Signature trip, since I think my 6yo is going to be fine without an adult in sight and this way both kids can enjoy a window.

If you have a choice of aircraft, the aisles in the 330 are narrowest making it easiest to reach across them. Or for the centre pairs, the dividers go down, so that might be another good option since the 3yo can see a parent pretty easily. Again, if I were booking this option, I'd criss-cross, eg adults in 1D/2G, 3yo in 1G, 7yo in 2D.

If you're in a Dreamliner, 1A/K are well forward of 1D/G, so if you want to be across the aisle, book 2A/1D, or 3A/2D, etc.

Presuming it's not full, you can also ask to be seated in Premium Economy during the takeoff.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
From my many, many years of flying experience, the best seats for young children when I am flying in J is when the young children occupy a seat on another flight than me

Ohhh sorry this is not about my flying comfort and convenience, sorry then place the little sweet well behaved darlings in the middle seats row 1 and you both in the middle seats row 2. Sure you do not have direct sight, but its a plane where are they going to go, take off and landings are quick and I have never seen a F/A not allow a parent to hold their young child (not a 7-year-old) lay next to them when they are scared or lonely. a regular seat, way in the back would suffice also, just saying
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Agree with "depends how your kid is". I was once on a YYZ-HKG flight with a couple and their infant, who proceeded to cry loudly for long portions of the flight when everyone was trying to sleep. Not a picnic for the parents either, but I didnt pay $7k to have that experience.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:40 pm

Yeah I just booked a YYZ-AUH-SIN in J flight next year with my Baby/Kid who will be exactly 2 years old at that date and a 6months baby. I'm not sure how it will go in his own seat.

He has been flying loads since hes born since we moved from Canada to Costa Rica and travel quite a bit back and forth and other destinations but that will be his first time.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:01 pm

Advice: A330 business class with a 2yo

Anyone parents out there can provide some insight.

About to book YYZ-FCO RT departing in the next few weeks (want to pull the trigger on it asap). My husband and I have flown transatlantic a few times with other airlines in the past 18 months but at the time our child was a lap infant and we were able to divide and conquer.

This is the first time I will be flying alone with her (she just turned 2 in Dec) and she will have her own business class seat/pod. The aircraft is the A330 and from my research looks like the new cabin configuration.

From the photos/videos I've seen... it looks like if I choose 2 seats together in the middle of the cabin it will actually be harder to lean over and take care of her bc of the design. Is that correct? From other photos it looks like if I choose one of the seats by the window and another one directly across the aisle I will not be able to see her as the seats are not aligned (which I totally get why they would do this).

I've never been a huge fan of AC business class, and have looked at other carriers that would require a connection (I know on Turkish we flew an older 777 and the business class design would be more suitable). I'm just trying to make things less complicated since it's my first time flying alone with her and direct seems like less headaches.

I haven't flow Premium Economy in awhile on AC (last time was LAX at least 5 years ago). Perhaps this would be better?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Sparty3; Jan 29, 2023 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:27 pm

Depends on your kid. The aisle makes the other seat a looooong way away and there isn’t really a safe way to offer comfort safely on takeoff/landing/taxi. If turning on the IFE and zoning out works, all’s well, but otherwise you don’t have many options.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:38 pm

So, my kids are older and ok being in a pod alone. But I think you may find it tough flying with a 2 year old in the pods, because as you mentioned, there are no great options to be near/see them with AC. I'm not sure if you are booking a cash or rewards flight, but have you considered looking at flights with a *A partner like LH which has a better 2-2-2 configuration for your needs, or TAP, which would be the 321 neo?
krayZpaving likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.